The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-01-2011, 07:24 AM

My experience says that there is indeed a tonal difference with a short vs long scale. To me the longer scale has more depth, maybe more bass and just more projection overall. That said, I also think that the shortcomings of the short scale can be overcome with one thing....money.

I've only found one rosewood spruce guitar that I like better than my poor old Guild GAD30R (long scale)....a Martin 000-28vs (short scale). But the nearly $3,000 price difference kind of keeps me with the longer scale, for now.
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 10-01-2011, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
A guitar builder friend of mine pointed out that electric guitars with string through body as opposed to strings anchored on bridge options on eg Telecaster or Strat etc tend to have a higher tension in the strings due to the increased string length even if the actual vibrating length is unchanged - something to do with the physical properties of the metals and so on.
Well, that is incorrect as to string tension. For a given string gauge and type it's just scale length and pitch.
There was a large flamming thread on this some time ago - not worth repeating.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsmyth9 View Post
Hi, If it were as simple as that, a laminate mandocello would have a better bass response than a Guarneri violin. It's bigger and has a longer scale length, but yet it's never as simple as that. Of course it will produce a lower pitch, but a better bass response? I don't think so. In discussing short scale vs. long scale guitars you are still dealing with instruments that are pitched the same. not orchestral instruments that are pitched differently. My Santa Cruz short scale 00 has far more bass response than my long scale beater Dread. Respectfully, in the realm of musical instruments things are never as simple as that.
Regards, Brian
Well, I'm unaware of any symphony orchestra string players who play instruments with laminated wood, since those are usually "learners'" instruments. As usual, my observations assume the proposition "all things being equal." I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion