The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 AM

Default De Jonge OM Spanish Cedar "Possum Sale" NEW PRICING

Yes this is an extremely quick turnaround sale.

The sob story
A day or two after receiving this guitar I found out that a"critter" has done substantial damage to my attic, roof, soffit, etc. Unfortunately, I need to liquidate some of my toys in order to cover the unexpected expense of my visitor. I've had less bonding time with this particular guitar, so it's the first to go.

$2500 shipped fedex ground + any applicable payment fees

My impressions
I know this is the difficult question that everyone wants to know......so I will try and describe the complexity of the tone, bass/treble balance, immediacy of the notes, projection and playability of the de Jonge.

The spanish cedar/spruce, double top and OM size gives it a crisp response that leans towards the mids with some nice high end overtones. The bass is present but focused which gives the guitar nice clarity and separation between notes (even with the overtones). I also believe this guitar responds better to a lighter touch than being driven hard. It has good projection but is not a cannon.

With a recent neck reset, the playability is very good. I would add that if you like really low altered tunings, you may require a new setup. The finish was previously reported to be french polish, but (if it is) it's unlike any of the other french polish guitars I've owned (including a previous de Jonge). I've not had the finish professionally analyzed, so I will plead the fifth on its exact nature.

IMO, previous listings did not effectively show the actual condition of the guitar. I will post new pictures, later today, that will attempt to give a more accurate representation of the guitar you will be receiving. It has been played alot and shows it. This was a working man's/woman's instrument. I would not describe it as damaged, but I don't want anyone to open the case and be surprised by what they find.

The good

The lower bout has alot of indentations/scrapes but as you can see the figuring and finish hide them from many angles

The bad - there are imperfections all over the guitar and most don't show up in my photos. Hopefully they will give any potential buyer an idea of the types of scrapes and dings.

[/IMG]

The case isn't in great condition but should protect the guitar.

Specs and descriptions from previous listings

Sergei de Jonge has never been particularly good at following the standard rule book for guitarmakers, and this all-Spanish cedar model is a prime example. While lots of builders have been offering all-mahogany guitars that aren't "economy" models, Sergei took the concept a bit further down the road. For one thing, he used Spanish cedar instead of mahogany, and for another he made it as a "double top." (The outer layer of the soundboard is Spanish cedar, while the inner layer is spruce. This is not made like plywood, it's two thin layers with the grain running in the same direction and a super-thin support matrix between them). And it's not just the soundboard construction that's deluxe, note the snakewood binding with green purfling lines, the spalted maple rosette, the headstock with veneers on both the front and back, etc.

Check the photos and you'll notice that this guitar has seen a lot of use, and the finish on the top shows it. There's quite a bit of wear in the "pickguard position," and there's also finish wear below the bridge. The rest of the guitar's finish is in far better condition than the soundboard, and there are no cracks. How did this happen to such a deluxe guitar? Simple explanation, it got used by musician who traveled a lot and used this guitar for countless gigs. In short, iit's a beautifully crafted tool that shows use.

For those who are curious about guitar woods, and their names, Spanish cedar doesn't come from Spain and it isn't a true cedar. It's a type of mahogany from South America. Spanish luthiers have long preferred this wood for their classical and flamenco guitar necks, so that's where the "Spanish" part of the wood's name comes from.

STOCK NO. 49621
MODEL SPANISH CEDAR
TOP SPANISH CEDAR
BACK AND SIDES SPANISH CEDAR
FRETS TO BODY 14
NUT WIDTH 1 3/4"
SCALE LENGTH 25 3/8"
BRIDGE MATERIAL EBONY
FRETBOARD MATERIAL EBONY
NECK MATERIAL SPANISH CEDAR
CASE ORIG. HARD
SERIAL NO NO SERIAL NUMBER
TOTAL FRETS 20

Last edited by Guit Hacker; 01-28-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:34 PM

Marsupial bump
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Dang the pics are big...

I have watched this axe here repeatedly and am watching elsewhere as I type...

Nice one. Is the neck angle correct? any structural issues? Do any boo boos break the finish?

Please describe neck feel/shape/size.

Best on this sale!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 PM

"Dang the pics are big" - The better to see you with. ; )

Neck width/depth
Nut/1st fret - 1.75"/0.8"
7th fret - 2"/0.9"
12th fret - 2.2"/1.05"

I will try and expand on the condition. The scratches are from a very heavy picking hand and possibly some body percussion. The overall finish of the guitar is intact with a only couple of very small areas (about 0.1") where the finish is flaked. The only scratch I can tell that exposes/penetrates bare wood is on the side of the headstock by the high e.

Unfortunately, I don't have the proper experience to comment if the neck angle is "correct". I will say that I prefer a little more neck relief than most players I know. That being said, this neck appears to be set at a truer angle than any of my other acoustics. It plays very well through all registers with no dead spots (very low drop tunings and different string guages may effect this). I believe it is strung with 12-54's and I tuned it down to DADEAD without any issues playing up to the 16th fret.

If not for the possum and the fact that I already own another De Jonge OM, I would not be parting with this so readily.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guit Hacker; 12-01-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks for the info

I have owned two DeJohnges and both were VERY NICE indeed.

My lovely and kind wife has just gently reminded me that I am supposed to be selling, not buying. Haha

Best on this sale. This one has to sound awesome!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Last minute Christmas shopping?
Old 12-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Musical minimalist

a little smaller for viewing

Last edited by fitness1; 03-30-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 AM

Default Pictures fixed

I rarely use a computer when browsing forums anymore. The pictures looked fine on my mobile/tablet devices but I have since fixed them for other viewing. Sorry for that oversight. Thanks Todd.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Experience always shows the best in anything ...

Maybe a minority opinion, but there is much to recommend a guitar that has been well and often played - without restraint and still with respect. A beauty indeed! My grandfather always cautioned me to keep an extra $50 bill in my shoe for those special times. I will replenish and deplete that $50 many times, I hope. And the next time I hope I am fortunate to see these sorts of opportunities.

Man, there are some great guitars out there right now. This is definitely one of the standouts. GLWS
Old 01-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Guitar is still for sale.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 PM

Nice guitar. Collings also making guitars with Spanish Cedar.

Are you sure it was a possum? My family in Tx had mama coon invade the attic to have babies. Got in through the soffit. Man can they claw. Ultimately $20K in damage, and once they find a nice cozy place to have their young, they will be back again and again. It is harder to get rid of them than one might think. Ask me how I know...but they gone now
Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 PM

Fairly sure it was a possum based on the grey fur I found. It went straight through the roof (shingles and decking). 20k is right on the button.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:55 AM

Trades + cash or easily sellable trades considered. The general contractor cometh for his money.

Last edited by Guit Hacker; 01-27-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 PM

Default New pricing

$2500 shipped fedex ground, would prefer not to eat paypal fees at this price

Last edited by Guit Hacker; 01-28-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:48 PM

$2500 de Jonge and no takers?????

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars