The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2015, 11:37 AM

Default Tweedy 00-DB or CEO-7?

Hi,

This is my first post but I've been lurking around these boards for a while. I've searched the archive for info on both of these guitars and just wanted to get the opinion of anyone who's had the opportunity to play both the Tweedy 00-DB as well as the CEO-7. I'm lefty, so I've not been able to find one to play myself, but I've heard enough on YouTube to know that I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these great guitars.

I don't play much finger-style, more flat picking and strumming. I'm not a professional and only enjoy playing recreationally, occasionally at local spots. I like playing blues, but want an instrument with the range to play acoustic classic rock. I've previously played the Martin OMJM and liked it very much, but it's out of my price range.

Thoughts on the tone/range of the 00-DB vs. the CEO-7? Are the mod-V necks on both exactly the same? Thank you in advance!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 AM

Haven't heard the 00-DB, but you really can't go wrong with the CEO-7.

I own one and love it. A friend of mine who makes a good portion of his living by writing/singing/playing now gigs exclusively with his CEO-7 and he sounds AWESOME with it.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:45 PM

I use to own a 00-DBJT, great guitar. But, it definitely had the all mahogany vibe, just brighter than most, IMHO.

To me the V neck was very comfortable after years of playing telecasters with Nocaster sized necks.

If I had it all to do over again, I would get the CEO-7... The woods, construction, case and uniqueness make good sense.

Have fun in your search...
Old 01-04-2015, 01:07 PM

I've played both and bought the CEO 7. The DB was nice but...
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public
Old 01-04-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBadd View Post
I've played both and bought the CEO 7. The DB was nice but...
.................But what?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:55 PM

I appreciate the responses. I was leaning towards the CEO-7, and now I think that's the direction I'm headed in. The look of that Tweedy 00-DB is just so g-**** beautiful.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:24 PM

CEO-7. I own the CEO but tried the DB before. Did not approach the CEO-7 for tone and playability for me.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:29 PM

I just squeezed the trigger on a CEO-7 today myself. It'll be my first Martin. Super excited & awaiting the mail. I recall loving the look of the Tweedy though, it's so lovely. I played a couple & it seems to be a scale/shape and configuration that may match JT best & not all folks. It sure looks good though..
Old 01-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I've played both and would take the CEO-7 everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Tweedy was very disappointing...overbuilt and boxy sounding, IMO.

The CEO-7 was awesome...open, airy, and with plenty of bass. Great neck too (more of a rounded soft-v similar to the necks on the 000-18GE and D-28 Marquis).

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

I played a tweedy that was VERY good. But the ceo is short scale and that would be the deal maker for me..I would love to have one.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Sold my CEO-7 only because I already had a Kevin Kopp L-02. At the time they were impossible to get and I found one unspoken for. Decided to see what all the fuss was about. It's well warranted but the Kopp won out. Otherwise I'd still own it. Great guitar...probably should have kept it? Whole lot of voice in such a small package...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:36 PM

Aren't you comparing apples with oranges since one has a hog top/back/sides and the other a spruce/mahogany?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Aren't you comparing apples with oranges since one has a hog top/back/sides and the other a spruce/mahogany?
Not as much as you might think. Both 00 slope shoulder guitars. Both Adirondack tops over Mahogany back and sides. As long as we're talking CEO-7 and L-02? I think the Tweedy might be an all mahogany guitar?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Every guitar is different! So, I hope there are dreamy Martin OO's out there. For what its worth. I love the OO size. I got to play a '59 Martin 00 that was just the sound and size I was chasing. I never found a new 00 Martin that touched the old one I played.
New Years Eve I wandered into a shop that had the CEO - 7 and the Jeff Tweedy hanging side by side. Both are very, very pretty. Niether one I tried could justify the tag. The 7 sounded great in the cowboy chord region. I started noodling and the 5-8 frets sounded like tin. Guessing the neck was out?
The Jeff Tweedy was comfortable. Again, really nice looking! Played ok. Sounded OK. I wasn't selling stuff to buy it.
I hope when you pull the trigger you take the time to get to test drive the one you are buying first.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM

speclk19- pm sent

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion