The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-03-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Please Help Me Restring

Hi, I need help fast. I know its sounds dumb but I have been playing for a year now and dont know how to restring. How do you get some good wraps around the tuning peg, I really need to know?

Thanks

Lucky owner of the best 310CE
Old 08-03-2002, 08:59 PM

Check out this tech sheet on the Taylor site.

http://taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs...ing_guitar.pdf
Old 08-03-2002, 09:00 PM

ok what I do, is I put the end of the string in the tuning peg...then stick my hand under the string to be tuned and make sure I have about a hand length's of space. then on the end of the string that's in the peg I fold the string against the peg. ok, now as I turn the machine head I hold the string in place on the peg with my thumb and index finger so it doesn't slip. and that's it

oh wait....I just re-read that and uh...I have no idea what it just said! lol

if you can get something out of it, great! if not...there are Taylor Tech sheets on the website for re-stringing ur guitar...sorry if I couldn't help

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 08-03-2002, 10:04 PM

PRS Guy- like the previous posts said-the Taylor techsheet shows how to restring in great detail. The tricky part for me has always been getting consistant and the right number of windings around the peg. I am still trying to get the right number of windings and have then wrap consistantly around the peg. I change strings about every 3 months so it seems each time I restring I am starting all over.
Unidentified Beater Classical
Old 08-04-2002, 03:22 AM

GO TO FRETS.COM AND HE HAS STEP BY STEP PHOTOS ON A RESTRING.

YOU CRIMP THAT STRING AND HOLD IT IN PLACE LIKE ROCK DS SAID AND THEN AS YOU TURN THE PEG IT BITES DOWN ON. THERE'S A PHOTO ON FRETS.

A NEW STRING JOB MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD (ESPECIALLY AFTER A YEAR) SO CHOP, CHOP.

Old 08-04-2002, 02:54 PM

I should clarify for the sake of my dignity, I have changed strings in the past, just pros doing it instead of me. I have this camp out tomarrow and needed to get them changed and', now have them good so thanks for the help.

Lucky owner of the best 310CE
Old 08-04-2002, 05:13 PM

Default Stringing

I hope I explain this right. I normally secure the ball end of the string put the string through the hole inthe machine and use the next peg as a measurement of length. I then bend the string at a right angle and slide the string back down to the tuning machine and start winding with a string winder. That gives me 3 wraps around the tuning machine. I take care that as I wind the string, the wraps stay neat and don't overlap. I then tune the string to pitch and then press down on the string over the sound hole and retune to pitch. After about 3-4 retunings the string usually stays at pitch.

By the way, I string one new string at a time. If the fret board needs maintenance (about once a year), then I remove all the strings and do the fretboard maintenance.

Folkman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell