The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-14-2002, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Harmonics Tips?

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get a consistent harmonic on the 7th fret on the high E string. On the other strings I do fine. Anyone have any ideas of how I can get this string to ring out like I can get the others to?
I realize this is probably a touch thing, but I haven't been able to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Any pointers appreciated.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:28 AM

5th fret harmonic usually gives me the most trouble. Anyway, try raising you finger quickly upon contact (move only your finger...not your hand). It takes a little timing practice to coincide with the strike.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:30 AM

Ussually it's the 5th fret that's hard to get. Ya just have to practice.

1) Make sure your finger is just lightly touching the string when you pluck. If you touch even ever so slightly after the pluck, you'll deaden the string. You can get away with that on the 12th fret, but not the others.

2) You have to pluck a little harder on the 7th than you do on the 12th.

3) remove your finger at the same time as you pluck. Move it cleanly away, so it doesn't deaden the string afterward. It's all about timing, and that means practice.

4) Look at the string so you can see how close your finger is. CONCENTRATE. At the 12th fret, the harmonic kinda plays itself and you don't really have to work very hard. But on the 5th and 7th, you have to focus.

5) If your strings are dead, you'll have a harder time playing harmonics.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Question

taylorsmitten,

where along the string are you plucking it?

try moving that contact point back and forth between the soundhole and the bridge until you find the best spot....

Givin' God a wedgie.....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 07-18-2002, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Those are all great tips. Geesh, what's wrong with me, I can do the 5th and am having trouble on the 7th. Come to think of it I'm not surprised about the dichotomy, it kinda sums up my life

I'm going to try all the pointers and master this.

OK, CONCENTRATING....
Old 07-18-2002, 04:15 PM

When you figure it out Lisa, let me know. I'm still struggling with harmonics too! As they say " If it was easy, anybody could do it!" right!!
Steve
Old 07-24-2002, 11:56 AM

One more thing that occurred to me that I do without thinking is try varying the location where you pluck the string. It definitely can make a difference. There's a harmonic location that occurs near the front of the soundhole. If you pluck there, the fretted harmonic may not come through, so just move back a little.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:34 AM

IMHO Harmonics are a matter of timing the strike and a soft touch lift. Some guitars are easier at producing than others, Taylors are among the best I have tried, Epi's are among the worst. Also like the previous poster stated depends on the string age/condition as well.
Old 07-25-2002, 06:07 AM

Hmmmmmmmm... this is all "technique"-ly beyond my comprehension or ability, but I wonder...

It doesn't SOUND to me like technique is the problem, since ONLY the 7th fret harmonic on the high E is the problem. If altering the "pluck point" doesn't resolve it, then I'd be inclined to say that it's a function of the guitar's harmonics (or lack thereof) for that particular string/fret combo. As has been said in several other threads, a guitar cannot be "perfectly" in tune... perhaps the 7th fret 'problem' is a result of that? My 710 is somewhat "dead" on its 7th fret high E harmonic, whereas my 712 is "better" (but STILL not as lively and 'ringing' as the 5th fret).

Have you tried it on other guitars? With success? Has anyone else been able to get a good 7th fret harmonic on YOUR guitar? Just don't want ya going crazy trying to do something that may not be possible on THAT particular guitar!

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 08-05-2002, 12:34 PM

Any advice on how to use harmonics? I know this sounds silly but lets say I am playing backup for some and we are doing a G-C-D progression, how would I implement harmonics??
Old 08-05-2002, 01:22 PM

sah,

I'd say that harmonics are not useful for rhythm players, but more for lead players or soloists.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:18 PM

Go to www.harmony-central.com they have a guide on how harmonics work, its less of the actual playing of them and more of how they work, they are extremely confusing and I am just starting to grasp how they work, but I can still play one on about every fret EXCEPT FOR THE INFAMOUS 9th FRET ARGHHHHH!
Old 08-11-2002, 07:49 AM

Exclamation Eureka... maybe...

Okay Lisa... as I said before, I'm a "technique-phobe", but I did some experimenting.

What I found - and what has NOT been addressed in this thread - is that the position of your fretting finger is very important! In most cases, positioning it right over the fret (5th, 7th, 12th, etc.) hits the "sweet spot" for the harmonic generation on that string at that fret. BUT... in some cases, on some strings, at some frets, you might need to position the fretting finger slightly ahead of or slightly behind the appropriate fret. And then it's all timing and touch... made easier!

I just found that creating harmonics has become sooooooooooo much easier and more consistently achievable if I'm careful about fretting finger placement! Hope this helps ya!

Hah! Yestidday I couln't even spell xpurt... and today I are won!! N=O=T!!!!

"Experience is something you get just after you needed it!"
Old 08-12-2002, 10:37 AM

Ya know? I always considered myself pretty good at harmonics. I use them often on 5th, 7th and 12th frets on all strings. But, I learned something from this post. So I'd like to add something to my last reply.

Mapletrees (and others) suggested that where you pluck the string - closer or farther from the bridge - makes a difference. So, I decided to give it a try. I learned that I get a louder, cleaner, more consistent harmonic by plucking closer to the bridge. But I like the tone of the harmonic much better when I pluck away from the bridge.

So I guess, if you're just starting out and you want to get the hang of harmonics (especially on the 5th and 7th frets), start by plucking closer to the bridge. Then, as your technique becomes more consistent, try plucking away from the bridge for a softer, less twangy tone.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:25 PM

According to this article, http://www.angelfire.com/in2/guitar/tuning.html we shouldn't be using the 7 fret harmonic anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell