The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-10-2002, 10:25 AM
Tayloresque

Thumbs up To those interested in songwriting...

I'm sure there are a lot of songwriters among members of the TGF, so I thought I'd share some links to songwriting web message boards and tools that I've frequented/used over the past 5 years -- not that I want to take you away from this great site . There are other boards, but the ones listed below (with links) are the most popular I've found. Like here, you will find a network of people only too happy to help you.

These songwriting message boards have helped me greatly, both from posting my own lyrics and complete (unplugged) song demo files for critique (before spending any substantial $$$), and equally valuable, critiquing the works of others (that process reflects back into your own work). I don't have the time to frequent these sites lately as much as I'd like, but they're truly a great resource. Most participants are lyricists, but there are some who write complete songs as well. Since all here are musicians, these sites can allow for great collaborations. Although I write mostly complete songs (lyrics and music), I've explored the collaboration process and have written a number of songs now with lyricists from around the world.

Songwriting Forums:

http://www.justplainfolks.org/home.html
'Just Plain Folks' is run by Brian Austin Whitney Check out the songwriting message boards (country, folk and rock). This link will take you to the home page. When I have the time, I usually frequent the Lyric and MP3 Feedback Forums. This site seems to be the most popular these days and is growing into a very large international network. They also now have affilation with an internet radio station called 'Radio-Free Virgin'. If you register, I'd appreciate you using my name as a reference (Tom Guertin).

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/Board/index.php
Run by Dan Gray. Be sure to check out 'The Freedom Exchange Online Songwriting Workshop'. This board leans to folk and rock, but also country.

http://network54.com/Forum/51724
Shayne Vaughn's 'The Write Stuff' songwriting message board. Leans to country, but also folk and rock).

http://newsome.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Kent Newsome's 'Rancho DeNada' songwriting message board. Country, folk and rock.

Songwriting Tools:

http://www.songwriters.org
If you ever have a song to be published, use the downloadable 'Songwriters Guild Contract' (it is designed to protect the songwriter) -- at least use it as a baseline. I made sure my publisher used it for my contract. Also, if you want some info on the song publishing multi-step process, feel free to e-mail me and I'll send the detail to you.

http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/forms/
From my experience, copyright infringement isn't as big an issue as some make it out to be. First, copyright is automatic upon creation of a piece. Of course, proving it is another thing. And, "he with the deepest pockets usually wins". In my experience, the majority of songwriters feel that posting on the internet is a good thing (provided you always post your work with the copyright symbol, date and name(s) of authors) because it provides a 'datestamp' of sorts. Plus there's all the witnesses who review and comment on your work (which you can print-out and keep, as I do, in case you ever need it). You can also do the 'poor man's copyright' by mailing the lyric and/or CD to yourself via registered mail and don't open it (unless you have to). This does not provide absolute protection, but some like to do it. Where you feel a song has a real shot of getting published, most file a copyright claim with the US Library of Congress Copyright Office. The link above will take you to the downloadable forms should you ever need them. I've used them and submitted along with demo tape/CD. You can also submit a compilation of songs to save money.

http://www.rhymezone.com/
A great on-line rhyming dictionary.

Sorry about the long post, but I thought this info might be useful to some of you.

Cheers, and happy writing ans playing!

Tom
Old 07-10-2002, 12:26 PM

Thanks, Tom!

I am interested in writing and this is great info. Of the links you listed do you know of one that might have the most to offer to one wishing to write in the 'old time' or bluegrass styles?
Old 07-10-2002, 12:56 PM
Tayloresque

George, I don't know of any forums that specifically focus on 'old time' or bluegrass (though it's possible they exist). However, if you jump into anyone of them that I've provided, you'll probably find people there that are into it. Like I said, these are mainly folk, country and rock, but they also have writers of Christian, Praise & Worship, and even some Waltz and Swing. About the only genre that I've noticed wasn't well received (at any of them) was Rap (with vulgarity/violence). That one is always a touchy area because one persons' art can be anothers' garbage. Anyhow, I doubt your songs will push that envelope. So, I'm sure you'll find a place if you decide to participate. Someone there may even know of 'old time' and bluegrass forums.

Tom
Old 07-10-2002, 02:25 PM

Any sites for those of us who do instrumental music?

I was considering joining a songwriters group a little while ago. When I spoke with the group president and told him that my songs were instrumental he replied, "We really only work with complete songs". I was very offended by his attitude.

I've found most songwriting sites and organizations are 95% concerned with lyrics. Anyone have any input for songs without lyrics?

David
Old 07-10-2002, 09:25 PM
Tayloresque

I didn't enter the links right so they weren't working. I've fixed them, so they're working now. Sorry 'bout that.

Tom
Old 07-10-2002, 09:31 PM
Tayloresque

David, you're right that most of these songwriting sites are dominated by lyricists. Therefore, musicians are very much sought-after. For pure instumentalists, of course it's ludacrous for anyone to suggest that an instrumental is not a complete song. From what I know of the songwriting boards, if you were to post a link so that participants could hear your music, most likely you'd get offers to compose lyrics (if they liked the music), unless you prefaced it. I'm sure you'd get feedback, but not a lot compared to songs with lyrics -- again because the majority are lyricists only and often don't feel that they're *qualified* to comment on music. Worth a try, IMO.

Tom
Old 07-10-2002, 09:36 PM

Great information, Tom. Thanks for pointing us in the right directions. I'm going to enjoy exploring these sites for the next several weeks.

Which one would you recommend for me? I'm best at writing lyrics for a cappella instrumental polkas, written to be performed by my banjo/afuche/didgeridoo/nose flute ensemble. (My didge and nose flute players are enjoying experimenting with alternate tunings.)

Now don't let that combination throw you. Each instrument has at least one pickup, and we play 'em through dozens of Boss pedal effects and Marshall stacks wide open.

We have kind of a bluegrass accordian, downunder bosa nova, Weird Al meets 9 Inch Nails thing going on. It's a unique sound, and I expect it to start catching on just any moment, as soon as I can get the band members to stop throwing their instruments at each other. They're such artists!

Any more help you can give will probably be ignored. Thanks!

cotten

What can I say, it's late and my brain's neurons are at it again.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info!

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell