The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Wet/Dry two amp system anybody use one?

So I have been looking into a two amp system and have decided on using the wet/dry format.

And was curious if anybody is currently using one ?

Also specifically in my research I have come across several times , a recommendation for using a buffered splitter as opposed to say just a y split cable adaptor .
Any thoughts on if this really necessary or more advisable for signal maintenance . ?

So to clarify I am going to get a good ABY splitter box ( correction a stereo junction box) with ground iso and polarity switch. for the two amp set up
But in my chain I want to come out of my boost pedal and split off to the delay for the wet amp, and then to my ABY box, and have my dry signal go from the boost straight to the ABY, so that is split I am asking about . Make sense ?

Thanks, Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Recently began messing around with a two amp system, a Fender Bassbreaker 15 and a Traynor Acoustic Master Standard. Clean, clean, clean with a full complement of cool effects to as dirty as I could want, with everything in-between. All with no extra effects pedals.

There is an ABY box ahead of the amps. So, the A and B, or, A or B combinations are still overwhelming to me. I recommend trying it if you like to experiment.

TLJ
Old 01-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ View Post
Recently began messing around with a two amp system, a Fender Bassbreaker 15 and a Traynor Acoustic Master Standard. Clean, clean, clean with a full complement of cool effects to as dirty as I could want, with everything in-between. All with no extra effects pedals.

There is an ABY box ahead of the amps. So, the A and B, or, A or B combinations are still overwhelming to me. I recommend trying it if you like to experiment.

TLJ
So to make sure I understand for clarity a two amp system can be a number of different layouts and methods

So I understand playing a two amp system A or B or playing it A and B

So I am guessing you are talking about

Dual Mono = A and B ... played simultaneously But with different settings and or onboard amp FX which would also be a type of wet/dry method but where any wet dry difference is happening after the ABY box in the amp settings.

What I am talking about is also Dual Mono= A and B played simultaneously one dry and one wet with pedal FX that are split before the ABY box or perhaps I should have said in the OP a stereo box, two inputs and two outputs .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM

i use a wet/dry setup with two amps continually. i use two different systems tho. one is thru a morley aby pedal with one side going to the dry amp and the other going to a wet amp. the other is thru a pedalboard with the last pedal in the chain being a stereo(dual mono) pedal with two inpus and with one out being dry and the other being wet. either way, i spread the amps out as far as i can to get the full effect.

ps- only time i need signal maintenance is using my 59 tweed princeton. the ebtech humx eliminated the problem. it doesn't work for all situations tho.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i use a wet/dry setup with two amps continually. i use two different systems tho. one is thru a morley aby pedal with one side going to the dry amp and the other going to a wet amp. the other is thru a pedalboard with the last pedal in the chain being a stereo(dual mono) pedal with two inpus and with one out being dry and the other being wet. either way, i spread the amps out as far as i can to get the full effect.

ps- only time i need signal maintenance is using my 59 tweed princeton. the ebtech humx eliminated the problem. it doesn't work for all situations tho.

play music!
Interesting. But given dual mono is not actually stereo. So are you saying you have a pedal that is both a stereo (capable ) pedal, but can also be set for dual mono operation instead, with one side using the effect and one side dry ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-19-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Most wet/dry systems I've seen have involved three amps: one dry and stereo effects sent to two wet amps.

I use a two-amp setup, but there is a fun twist: I the guitar through a modeler with a stereo out and run those two outputs to my two amps: a Marshall combo and a Leslie rotating speaker amp. All my ambient effects (delay and reverb) are applied post-amplifier in the modeler's chain so it is in effect wet/dry.

HERE is a discussion of a three-amp system I ran at one point.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Most wet/dry systems I've seen have involved three amps: one dry and stereo effects sent to two wet amps.

I use a two-amp setup, but there is a fun twist: I the guitar through a modeler with a stereo out and run those two outputs to my two amps: a Marshall combo and a Leslie rotating speaker amp. All my ambient effects (delay and reverb) are applied post-amplifier in the modeler's chain so it is in effect wet/dry.

Bob
Yes I have heard of three amp systems as well. Often referred to as wet/dry/wet system . But a there is also 2 amp wet/dry ( dual mono) systems with one dry amp, and one wet amp, usually with mono "time domain" type FX feeding it , like Reverb ,Chorus , Delay etc. And often these are set up with the amps closer together, than in a true stereo amp system. The thinking behind these systems (like the three amp, wet-dry-wet system) is you can have a fairly heavy amount of fx going to the wet amp, but still have the dry amp with its cleaner transient response in the total soundscape .

Currently I only have two amps and two FX pedals both mono , a mild analog overdrive and an analog delay pedal (in that signal flow order)

I am looking at the one amp (dry-ish) no delay , and one with a delay pedal effect going to it (wet-ish) .

Both amps I own have tube driven reverbs and one amp, the Supro also has a tube driven tremolo.
So I am thinking of running the delay pedal to the Supro (make it my wet amp) with a fair amount of reverb , and I can footswitch the trem on and off.

Then the other a Mesa ( dry-ish) will have the just OD pedal and just a hint of on board reverb.

So I will need to make the split coming out of the OD pedal .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:10 AM

"So I am guessing you are talking about

Dual Mono = A and B ... played simultaneously But with different settings and or onboard amp FX which would also be a type of wet/dry method but where any wet dry difference is happening after the ABY box in the amp settings."

Yes.

TLJ

Last edited by TLJ; 01-20-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Wanted to show quotes.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

You need a Ho wet/dry amp attenuator. Best wet/dry tone out there. All the effect out/in with 2 solid state amps to reamp the signal.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ View Post
"So I am guessing you are talking about

Dual Mono = A and B ... played simultaneously But with different settings and or onboard amp FX which would also be a type of wet/dry method but where any wet dry difference is happening after the ABY box in the amp settings."

Yes.

TLJ
I thought so, thanks for the clarification I may actually start off with this (just setting the amps differently . and then decide if I want to add the additional split of the delay pedal.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-20-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
You need a Ho wet/dry amp attenuator. Best wet/dry tone out there. All the effect out/in with 2 solid state amps to reamp the signal.
I will certainly check that out I was planning using the Lehle Little Dual for a number of reasons some pointed out in this video

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interesting. But given dual mono is not actually stereo. So are you saying you have a pedal that is both a stereo (capable ) pedal, but can also be set for dual mono operation instead, with one side using the effect and one side dry ?
even tho it is a stereo pedal, i believe that it is truly dual mono. wiki article enclosed. stereo or dual mono? confusing, huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-20-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
even tho it is a stereo pedal, i believe that it is truly dual mono. wiki article enclosed. stereo or dual mono? confusing, huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound
play music!
Well terminology often gets confusing particularly when people use the same terms to talk about different things or different applications or different contexts .
I think I understand what you are saying ( technically speaking stereo could be considered to be two mono signals )

However: probably the simplest basic explanation for what we are talking about in this specific context would be :

Like this one from Sweetwater

" As with many things in life, it’s all about relationships. “Dual mono” indicates two completely separate, independent, unrelated channels. For example, in a dual mono preamp, you might run a vocal through one channel with its own control settings and a bass guitar through the other channel with a completely different set of settings. The two signals would be routed to different places.

“Stereo” indicates that the two channels are related and connected. For example, a stereo keyboard string patch contains two channels of related material that are intended to function as one stereo signal; you’d typically process and route those the two channels that comprise the stereo signal together
."

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-20-2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well terminology often gets confusing particularly when people use the same terms to talk about different things or different applications or different contexts .

So in my understanding and for the sake of this discussion probably the simplest basic explanation for what we are talking about in this specific context would be :

If that pedal you are talking about is a true stereo FX pedal, it can take a mono input signal like from a mono output from guitar and can split that signal into two signals. And then process those signals so that one is discrete/different from the other, usually by means of some kind of time domain manipulation at least. (that emulates stereo as if the pedal had been receiving two discrete inputs.) Resulting in two discrete/different signals, being output to their respective two different amp/speaker units.

If that pedal does have some kind of "dual mono" option selection ability , then the signal is again split into two signals, BUT they are the same signals, being output to both amps i. e. . There is no time domain difference .

If that pedal does not have such a selection option or switch , then it would not be a dual mono pedal . It would be considered simply a stereo pedal
kev: understood. but then, where is the stereo input coming from? i think your magic words, "emuates stereo" answers that.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
kev: understood. but then, where is the stereo input coming from? i think your magic words, "emuates stereo" answers that.

play music!
opps ha. you posted while I was changing my post. see if Sweetwaters little excerpt make sense. It is clearer than my post .

So to answer your question in a stereo guitar pedal ( if it is the first stereo FX in the signal chain from a mono guitar signal ) . There is no stereo input , there are only stereo outputs . But as per the sweetwater piece the stereo outputs are "related" usually with a time differential

For a pedal to be Dual Mono (again as per the SW excerpt) it would have to be able to handle two completely unrelated signals.
At least that is they way I understand it and am using the terminology.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-20-2018 at 11:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars