The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-29-2002, 07:25 PM

Cool Cool easy song?

I'm teaching my 15 year old daughter to play guitar. She just started a week ago, and is doing great! Rather than just learning boring chords (like I learned when I first started), my theory is that she will have more fun, and as a result, be more motivated if she can play some songs she likes.

So far, I have come up with "Horse with no name"- America- which she has mastered- 2 chords, and "Time of Your Life"- Green Day, which she is making good progress on. She also has learned the beginning riff of Incubus- "I Miss You".

Now I'm looking for more material for her. It has to be real easy- 2 or 3 easy chords, and hopefully something she can relate to- not like "Little Brown Jug" which I was forced to learn from the stupid Mel Bay book many years ago. Any suggestions?

beachbum
><>
Old 03-29-2002, 07:36 PM

Margaritaville is pretty easy, and so is Lyle Lovett's "If I had a boat" (which Dave Mathews covers) ....but of course it has the verse"
"...but Tonto he was smarter, one day said Kemosabe kiss my *** I boat a boat, I'm going out to sea"......

...maybe not for a 15 year old....

..but a great song tho.

Bob
Old 03-29-2002, 08:33 PM

Question ????

Just lost another post....

this difficulty is getting old...

ANYONE out there have a suggestion....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-29-2002, 08:41 PM

Beachbum of Joierszzzzzzy....

How about Nirvana's MTV UNplugged or Live in New York or whatever it was called....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 03-29-2002, 08:43 PM

When I was giving lessons 15 year olds ate that up...

get the CD and the authentic TAB book

internet Tabs are in general an abyss of poopies....
Old 03-29-2002, 08:45 PM

House of the rising sun in EZ tab. can be played on the first three frets.JW
Old 03-29-2002, 08:46 PM

it has a healthy mix of basic strumming patterns...basic chords....basic riffs....basic pentatonic soloing (at least in that Meat Puppets tune...Lake of Fire), easily mastered but pretty cool sounding stuff...can actually play along with the recording and sound legit...
Old 03-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Three Marlinas from the wallflowers is a great one. Three chords, d-a-g-a-d over and over again. Capo on the first fret but you could just play it open.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:48 PM

I have enough trouble forming and linking coherent thoughts......
Old 03-29-2002, 08:50 PM

being forced to type in little pieces isn't going to help....

Is this happening to anyone else????????????

Type for 4 or 5 minutes, go to submit, you're told you're not logged on, and then the post is lost and nowhere to be found....?????????????????????????
Old 03-29-2002, 08:53 PM

Beachbum...

shoot yourself in the foot if you want to.....yes you can still hop around the beach on a bloody stump of a foot if you want to...

but don't encourage your daughter to do that....
Old 03-29-2002, 08:59 PM

Smile

encourage your daughter learn to read rhythmic and musical notation....

do it with her....

enthusiastically.....

model....

encourage...support...

praise effort and accomplishment....

...the more one learns(masters) the more they are capable of learning(mastering)

Jerry Snyder's Guitar School - books 1 and 2(with CD) is a very good basic rhythm, music, and TAB beginners book....

so is the Mastering the Guitar Series from Mel Bay melbay.com ....doesn't stay at beginner level...
Old 03-29-2002, 09:05 PM

melodies orbit around chord tones.......tension and release....tension and release...

....doesn't matter if you're singing and strumming...

...or if you're ripping through a blues, rock, metal, country, or jazz solo...

...or if you're composing a fingerstyle piece

....or if you playing single note exercises in a "beginner's book"

but but but but but.......

always internalize concepts with the simplest possible material.......always

...general approach that pays huge dividends...doesn't matter what field you're talking about....
Old 03-29-2002, 09:11 PM

Question

???????????????

I just edited the above post.....and it doesn't show up on my screen as being edited (but it is)

do I just need a new toaster.......?????

Oster or Sunbeam you toaster nerd/geeks....????????

anything above pastry/defrost and this machine just burns the raisins and leaves the insides of the bagel too chewy...
Old 03-29-2002, 10:01 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees
???????????????
...do I just need a new toaster.......?????

Oster or Sunbeam you toaster nerd/geeks....????????

anything above pastry/defrost and this machine just burns the raisins and leaves the insides of the bagel too chewy...
Pardon me, Mr. Nash. We're you speaking to us?!?

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell