The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Personally I would love to have something like the white guitar with doodles on it that was lost to Emerald for a few years and then found in NY City. I would like it in the X20 format though and since I already have a decent 6 string I think I would like it to be in 12 strings, but it doesn't have to be white or have doodles on it either. Let's see you think through that.

I suspect that we have two main factors at play here. The most important is function and the second most important is form. Alistair has arguably made a more functional guitar with the X20. Now we are seeing a smattering of veneer options catenated by his genius and probably will see other options as he works out forms that best serve and enhance his already highly functional baby.

Humans are really good and seeing patterns and grains or changes in wood texture serves to draw the eye often in pleasing ways. Plain carbon fiber also has patterns pleasing to some, so it basically comes down to a relationship between the creator and the recipient. If you like it then it must be good. Hopefully that is enough for you and you are busy enough with your toys that you don't have fomo.

If you collect it because you think someone else will like it, then you are playing the market. This is sometimes lucrative and sometimes not so much. But either way it's probably not as good as liking the object for its own merits.
With guitars as with so many other things, although the function is paramount, if one feels really good about the form especially if personalized, the function becomes enhanced...sometimes real, sometimes perceived. Regardless, it's all good.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Guest 1478

As Homo Sapiens, we have evolved a set of higher brain functions, some of which allow us to appreciate things of beauty.
Mere function alone does not satisfy us if the object can also be imbued with aesthetic appeal. This is why cars are not all the same model, painted a dull but functional uniform grey. We love colours and pleasing shapes & patterns.
We can divide things of beauty into two categories, man made and naturally occurring. Both can have powerful aesthetic attributes but appeal to different parts of our sensibilities.
For me personally the two have been intertwined beautifully in carbon fibre/resin guitars with highly figured timber tops.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Should have added I think they are awesome looking, just ironic
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 PM

Funny. Just received my Emerald X20 Artisan Woody. I just posted a NGD in the General Forum so as to get some 'wooden guitar' enthusiasts. But I got dinged. The moderator asked me to move it to the CF section. Oh no! Where do I belong. Am I now homeless with a CF Woody from Emerald. Its CF and it looks like wood...sort of...from the front. But the only reason I like the Woody, and paid quite a lot extra, is for the shocking beauty of what Alistair and Sean do there in Ireland when they build a Woody Emerald CF. I guess its a new version of a cross over guitar.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 AM
Guest 1478

I just posted a NGD in the General Forum so as to get some 'wooden guitar' enthusiasts. But I got dinged. The moderator asked me to move it to the CF section.
I wonder why?
There are other threads concerning cf guitars in the general forum...
Old 05-10-2017, 01:45 AM

The general forum is not the "wood" forum is it? Strange.

But I understand their desire for order.

Wooden guitars are also sometimes painted plain, have sunbursts, have different finishes, all in the pursuit of looking great.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-10-2017, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Funny. Just received my Emerald X20 Artisan Woody. I just posted a NGD in the General Forum so as to get some 'wooden guitar' enthusiasts. But I got dinged. The moderator asked me to move it to the CF section. Oh no! Where do I belong. Am I now homeless with a CF Woody from Emerald. Its CF and it looks like wood...sort of...from the front. But the only reason I like the Woody, and paid quite a lot extra, is for the shocking beauty of what Alistair and Sean do there in Ireland when they build a Woody Emerald CF. I guess its a new version of a cross over guitar.
My perspective is different: I don't think my X20 "looks like wood"... I see it as a proud carbon fiber guitar with a unique top. I will admit that the louro preto veneer didn't just get my attention, it slapped me upside the head, creating a burning desire to have that guitar!

I don't suffer from GAS - if I am considering another guitar, I enjoy the process. This X20 is the one and only guitar that has grabbed me like this. The considering of it "looking like wood" never entered my mind... only: "Oh my goodness that is gorgeous!" Then, the anticipation during shipping to find out if it sounds and plays as good as it looks. (It does!)

My preference in wood guitars has not been the typical light-colored spruce top. My 814 has a tobacco burst top, and the 522 is a pretty all mahogany.

I do like the look of carbon fiber weave, and I completely understand those who feel "a carbon fiber guitar should look like carbon fiber." Emerald certainly has that covered with their Opus and Artisan lines. The woody veneers are all about the esthetics, and these are like no other guitars!

The sound... the ergonomics... and the presentation. I understand why they get the attention. Now, why the need to move from the General Acoustic Guitar forum? On my AGF experience, CF posts still show up on the "Today On The AGF." The "wood guys" know we are here. It just takes 'em a while to go from the "real guitars are made from wood" to "sure would be nice to not have to worry about humidity and temperature all the time" to "so, I'm kinda carbon fiber curious," then finally to the "why didn't someone tell me about this sooner??" stage.

If a casual observer thinks my X20 "looks like wood," they aren't looking close enough.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 AM

To me, the attraction is not complicated. Normally, a carbon fiber guitar looks identical to others of the same model - the nature of the offering. Suddenly, a 'woodie' allows each to be unique, without giving up any of the other benefits of carbon fiber. it's a new benefit to the entire product category. Simple (for me).

Plus it looks awesome!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
The general forum is not the "wood" forum is it? Strange.

But I understand their desire for order.

Wooden guitars are also sometimes painted plain, have sunbursts, have different finishes, all in the pursuit of looking great.
These are just some of the carbon fiber NGDs posted in the General forum, one even earlier just this year. They still remain in the General forum.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=251836
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=447114
http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=457045
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=454257
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=425922
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=450200

So being removed from General forum is a bit of a mystery.

A NGD is just sharing the excitement of getting a new guitar. New guitars are interesting for most guitar players regardless.

In the past, it didn't matter if it was either CF or General forum--but, . . . apparently it does now. Times change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber