The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Got a ramirez 125 with blushing in the finish, how to fix?

Well I purchased a ramires 125 anos off of e - b a y earlier this year. It is an ok specimen, not great, but good enough for the price I paid I guess. I played a 125 anos and 130 anos which were light years better guitars than this one actually. But I guess I am happy overall. One thing about this guitar is it has a good deal of blushing in the finish, on the bridge, and on the back of the guitar. It is fairly obvious. The finish it actually very very thick, I wonder sometimes if this thickness had something to do with the moisture getting stuck in there. I took it to a luthier at a sam ash, and he was not very enthusiastic. (He was a true luthier, not a repair guy. But I am still not sure if he knew what he was talking about. He seemed to be more of an electric guy too. The frets have obviously been leveled as well, and I asked him about new frets, but he didn't wanna do that I think? He told me they were fine, haha.) Anyway, I asked him about the blushing, and he tried rubbing some solvent around the inside of the soundhole to see if the finish would dissolve, with no success. I don't know what solvent he used, he said it was a general all around solvent. He told me if the finish was poly, than it was permanent. I told him the finish was listed on the ramires site as lacquer, but I think he was telling me it might be a lacquer that will not dissolve with a solvent, so repairing the blushing would be impossible. I don't know if it matters what kind of lacquer, or anything about lacquer really at all. Nor do I have experience with removing blushing in a finish, but I would love some second opinions, as I would love to fix this beautiful guitar up. I will try to get some pictures posted in a little bit.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 AM

First, take the guitar to an experienced luthier. You got the impression that this guy was not really that into working on your guitar, red flag right there. You may never be able to get the milking to go away but a skilled luthier can go a long way in making the guitar play as well as it can. Not trying to slam Sam Ash or GC as I am sure there are probably some good techs out there but the ones I have met were really just truss rod and restring guys, not actual luthiers. Good luck, those Ramirez' are nice guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical