The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Which song of Pete's is it? I have one of his collections, maybe I can help too.
It's Darcy's Guitar. From what I read, it was supposed to be relatively easy. I'm having trouble on the stretch to the 7th fret at the beginning of the song. And something about my timing isn't right. Just gonna take alot of work
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerstylist View Post
It's Darcy's Guitar. From what I read, it was supposed to be relatively easy. I'm having trouble on the stretch to the 7th fret at the beginning of the song. And something about my timing isn't right. Just gonna take alot of work
"Darcy's Guitar" is a cool tune. Even tunes that are relatively easy, and easy is a relative term, sometimes have hard parts in them that require extra practice and will be the last thing to fall into place. That stretch you are having trouble with just requires repetition. Play that section over and over for 5 minutes and then stop. Relax, and start at the top. It'll be better this time through. Rinse and repeat.

The timing is also a challenge in this piece, until you get that steady alternating bass thing happening like a machine in your thumb. All of this takes weeks and months of practice. Even after you get it so it sounds pretty good, you'll be encouraged to know that next year at this time, that tune will sound so much better and stronger and you can day dream when you play it.

Playing is a series of frustrations, even for advanced players. Anything new is repeating the process. The good news is, fingers remember after awhile, if you've done it enough times.

Have you heard the story behind "Darcy's Guitar"? Pretty cool. Pete tells it in concert a lot. Nice guy. Monster chops.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james55 View Post
I guess I'm confused unless this is a tongue in cheek thing.... Why on earth would you want Peter Hutlinger tabs if your having trouble transitioning from a G barre to B minor chord??? Sounds like you may need to stick with the basics for a while...??
Not all Pete Huttlinger arrangements are difficult to play. Darcy's Guitar in particular is one of the simplest. There are just a couple of transitions that require some thought in terms of fingering, if they are to be played smoothly.

Quote:
Thanks for the help MMM!
Did you get my PDF? Let me know if the fingerings aren't clear enough. I can adjust my scanner tone
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Have you heard the story behind "Darcy's Guitar"? Pretty cool. Pete tells it in concert a lot. Nice guy. Monster chops.
He tells it in the PH Collection tab book too
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM

David,

Yeah I saw him tell that story on a youtube video. I may have met the Darcy he's talking about a few days ago as I checked out Cotten Music Center. I didn't ask for names though. You are of course right about the practice needed, too bad there isn't such thing as guitar steroids.

MMM,

I got the pdf and thanks again. I think it will be very helpful to a noob like myself.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have that tab. I'll take a look at it. I remember there was some not so obvious fingerings, but I don't remember the stretch. Its a good song, BTW.

There's a neat arrangement of a Police song too, in the book I have. I forgot all about that book. Thanks for the reminder, btw. I wonder how his stuff sounds on a classical.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write