The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 AM

Default Jackson Browne - These Days

I have been trying to work out the technique of how Jackson plays "These Days" on the live acoustic version see You tube its the one were he introduces it as a song he wrote when aged 16.

What I can't understand is the bass run he uses. On the video it lookes like EBEGC, to me the sounds don't match the actual notes he is visually playing, either I am getting the notes wrong or he might be playing in a different tuning.

Any help would be appreciated, anyway check it out out it's a great song

Regards
Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 AM

Default Fire and Rain

C - B - A - G - F

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 AM

thanks, I agree with the notes but that's not what his fingers are doing if it is standard tuning so is he using a different tuning?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM
The Foreigner

I made a quick tab of the intro about a year ago, at the request of someone on this forum:

http://www.box.net/shared/ulloi8n69r

I doubt it's 100% accurate since I never really double-checked it, but it could be helpful as a guide. I also think there's an official pdf tab floating around somewhere
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 07-16-2009, 01:28 PM

I was familiar with the video, but I just checked again. The C-B-A-G-F definitely matches his finger positions, standard tunings. I just played it along with him to be sure.

A great song. Also, if you haven't heard it, Glen Campbell recently released a version as well on his latest cd. I actually like his better than the JB original, which is rare for me to like a cover better. It is also on youtube atThese Days
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

C-B-A-G-F, as others have stated.

On the McAlister-Smeckalister... JB is a class act... with a killer taste in guitars.

Roy visited the recent PNW gathering in Chehalis... Several players with McA's there.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:18 PM

Here's a copy of a tab from Acoustic Guitar magazine from a few years back./ It's pretty true to the way he plays it.

Great song, enjoy.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:57 AM

Default These Days

[QUOTE=Pistolero;1903034]I was familiar with the video, but I just checked again. The C-B-A-G-F definitely matches his finger positions, standard tunings. I just played it along with him to be sure.

A great song. Also, if you haven't heard it, Glen Campbell recently released a version as well on his latest cd. I actually like his better than the JB original, which is rare for me to like a cover better. It is also on youtube atThese Days[Thanks and yes I have heard the Glen Campbell version and really like it. In case you didn't know this has different lyrics as Jackson wrote the song for Nico (Velvet Underground) /QUOTE]
Old 07-17-2009, 01:59 AM

Default These Days

[QUOTE=valleyguy;1903178]Here's a copy of a tab from Acoustic Guitar magazine from a few years back./ It's pretty true to the way he plays it.

Great song, enjoy.[Thanks for the TAB I will try and master it!]
Old 07-18-2009, 04:40 PM

I've been practicing fingerstyle about a year now,I love this song,I've tried playing the tab version posted http://www.box.net/shared/nex1b15e02
and can't seem to get it to sound like Jackson Browne's youtube fingerstyle version.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPk11...ture=rec-fresh

Has any tried it and got the same sound?
Kentucky KM172 oval-hole mandolin
Old 07-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Guest 720

I have, and it was one of those you need (at least for me) to play very slowly at first, then bring it up to speed a bit at a time to match JB's. It's not complex, just a different fingering pattern for me than I was accustomed to.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Try this......
1. Start with a C chord
2. slide the "C" note in the bass down to B (remove the finger fron the E
3. Play an Am (A in the bass)
4. Keep the Am fingering and finger the G in the bass with your pinky.
5. Full Barred F chord.

This gives you the C - B - A - G - F bass run and the fill chords for the song.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 07-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

One of my favorite songs to play and I learned the version that was in Acoustic Guitar linked above which is really darn close to his Live Solo Acoustic album........for those of you who like Jackson Browne - check out his second Solo Acoustic Live Album - it's killer........

Speaking of the second album - anyone have the tab to "Never Stop"?
Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM

I learned the version from the "For Everyman" album...that version is in F, with the capo at the fifth fret, altho I play it in C to fit my vocal range..using the fifth fret capo adds a sparkle you dont seem to get playing lower on the neck.

"These Days" was actually one of those songs I originally learned without benefit of easy access to any of the recorded versions...so naturally I had it all screwed up...Ive been working on arranging it for my band and consequently I went back and learned it correctly...or at least more correctly.

The chords over last few lines of the verse vary from the "Acoustic Guitar" version...on the "For Everyman version he plays a G-G#dim7-Am walkup after the "do" in "thing that I forgot to do" and then an Am-G-F...walk down over the next line....I think those chords add a little tension and movement that is missing from the published transcriptions...

Don Miller
Anchorage AK
Old 07-29-2009, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Hey Don - thanks for the help - will try that - do you have it tabbed out?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write