The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
well, i dont know. dylan's ealy stuff has some really nice and intricate picking, and neil always just doing his muffled really cool strum....dylan isnt soloing like neil, that is for sure, but acoustically, i find them both talented. but i guess, if i think about it, neil did seem to blossom more over time with some really cool riffs on both acoustic and electric, in a way dylan never did. but i find north country girl complex. maybe it's just me?

here is the link to him doing it in '64 on some canadian tv show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZ2-S8EN...elated&search=

i belive that tone to be the gibson that evetually got lost or stolen....
As someone said earlier in this thread, Dylan never did consider himself an acomplished guitar player. I do know he thought very highly of Joan Baez guitar skills when he first saw her play.

In the DVD "No Direction Home," someone who knew Dylan in his home town said that he went off to New York (for about a year or year and a half in 1960 or 1961) and when he came back he said it looked like he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for guitar playing skills. Apparently, he knew just basic strumming and after hanging out with very skilled street musicians, he came back pretty darn good.

I think Neil is a more accomplished player, but I love the blues and Dylan can play the blues pretty well....much better than me.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
I think Neil is a more accomplished player, but I love the blues and Dylan can play the blues pretty well....much better than me.

Ken

yeah, i agree in the end. but i still prefer dylan's old stuff to anything young ever did. by a nose....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 PM

Both have harsh voices, both can hold their own playing the guitar, and both are great song writers, but in the end I have to go with Dylan because he posses more of a poetic quality via his ballads.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
some guy from NY

Bob Dylan
Old 08-31-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Neil as a young man:

"Old Man"

Neil as an old man:

"Old Man"
Louie...great clips! Thanks for the find. It was really interesting to see the comparison.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch3 View Post
Who do you prefer and why?
Hi Stretch...
For me it's like asking whether I want Green Peas (which I disdain) or Cucumbers (which I despise).

My answer to my wife would be ''Do I have to?'' or ''I don't want any, thanks.''

While both have influenced the world we live in, I don't listen to either. They both lend credence to the thought that one doesn't have to be able to sing to be considered a musician. (I'm ducking behind the desk as I type this...please don't tell my gigging partner I said these things).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM

why does it have to be "or"?
both have been in my top favorites over the years
I loved the early Bob Dylan in the 60's
original lyrics over some good acoustic guitar work and I really like "Blood on the tracks"
I loved Neil Young's electric guitar work in "Everybody knows this is no where"
and the softer work in Harvest
both artists have offered wide ranges of material over the years, there is alot to like....
Old 08-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Bob or Neil
Ginger or Mary Ann

Who knows?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Non-Singing Musicans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
. . . They both lend credence to the thought that one doesn't have to be able to sing to be considered a musician. (I'm ducking behind the desk as I type this. . .
Oh, I dunno. . .

I thought Artur Rubinstein was a pretty good musician (my all-time favorite, in fact), and I cannot recall ever hearing him sing a note, either live or recorded

Chet Atkins, Pat Metheny, Julian Bream, Andres Segovia, and Michael Hedges were/are not famous for their vocal prowess, but (again, some will surely disagree) I think they're all "musicians"

My $0.02
Old 08-31-2007, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
...Chet Atkins, Pat Metheny, Julian Bream, Andres Segovia, and Michael Hedges were/are not famous for their vocal prowess, but (again, some will surely disagree) I think they're all "musicians"
Hi FLD...
Sorry, I should have said ''one doesn't have to be able to sing to be promoted as a vocalist.''

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Bob or Neil
Ginger or Mary Ann

Who knows?
Neil and Mary Ann.............although I do have a thing for redheads............
Old 08-31-2007, 01:10 PM
In The Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Bob or Neil
Ginger or Mary Ann

Who knows?

I vote for Mary Ann myself...

- Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars
Old 08-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Cool

Quote:
Hi FLD...
Sorry, I should have said ''one doesn't have to be able to sing to be promoted as a vocalist.''
I don't know if they've been promoted as vocalists or not, but I do know there's lots of Dylan songs that just sound strange if sung by others (I've been trying to sing "Tombstone Blues" for years, in a different way than Dylan--it just sounds wrong any other way!)...along with lots that have been done much better than he did (Byrds come to mind, for one).
Dylan's strength is his lyrics, and he has many, many really great lyrics, from simple love songs to rambling humor, to bleak despairing blues...probably more great lyrics than Paul/John (gasp--blasphemy!), Paul Simon, or most anybody I can think of)...

Neil Young, now he's more of a vocalist...he doesn't always use the falsetto voice that some don't like...he's also sung in a few pretty famous bands over the years (Buffalo Springfield, CSNY), and his harmonies are most often very good...in fact, he's written and sung many kinds of songs, in quite a few styles, and, like Dylan, lots of people have sung his songs, and done a better job at the vocals. But, then there's the ones that just sort of "belong" to him and his voice...

I think people who don't like these two musicians, just haven't sampled enough of their songs...with Dylan and Neil, the ones you've heard on the radio are probably not representative of their best. And, as I posted before, maybe their voices are an acquired taste...that's fine, I guess.

Besides, anyone can be promoted as a vocalist, these days, as long as they sing with a vocoder, or stay in the studio...that's just a bit artificial, for my taste.

After all, I don't much care for opera singers, for example--other than the awesome power and projection, born from talent and years of training, what have they got for me to relate to?
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 08-31-2007, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch3 View Post
Who do you prefer and why? I like Neils unplugged stuff a lot...

Pocahontas
Thrasher
Heart Of Gold
My My, Hey Hey
Powderfinger

Some of the best acoustic songs ever in my opinion. They are simple, yet so complex. I think he's the best ever at taking a three chord song and turning it into a masterpiece that sounds better than a song with that many chords should.
Couldn't agree more. My favorite artist of all time.

Dylan's fine, but just never really felt the love. I appreciate his stuff, his voice doesn't bug me at all, but he just doesn't speak to me in a way that moves me.

Neil does.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Hi Stretch...
For me it's like asking whether I want Green Peas (which I disdain) or Cucumbers (which I despise).

My answer to my wife would be ''Do I have to?'' or ''I don't want any, thanks.''

While both have influenced the world we live in, I don't listen to either. They both lend credence to the thought that one doesn't have to be able to sing to be considered a musician. (I'm ducking behind the desk as I type this...please don't tell my gigging partner I said these things).
I like both of their voices, but I understand that there are "technical" issues there. For me, it shows that music and songwriting isn't about being technically correct. It's about being original, connecting with people, and moving them to feel.

Last edited by surfoxy; 08-31-2007 at 02:55 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell