The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
now I'll have to disagree with you on this kente777, for me Dylan has never had a great voice..............
Louie,

You got a deaf ear man!!!

Just kidding. I never ever debate with anyone who tells me Dylan can't sing. I only get roused when they say he has no talent. Anyone who says that Dylan or Young have no talent, I say they don't know anything about music or art. You may not like them, but you cannot deny their talent.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
"Big Daddy"

I would have to say Bob Dylan as a singer and songwriter. There is just something about Dylan I have always connected with!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcountry310 View Post
Gotta go with Young....I'd probably like Dylan too if I could just figure out what the hell he is talkin ( singin ) about.
To me that's what makes Dylan so great. Very metaphorical stuff. It's like when 100 people look at a piece of modern art and it speaks differently to each one. There's certainly something to say about direct lyrics, but I just love the symbolic and metaphoric language.

Another artist I love who is very much like this is Sam Phillips. Few know about her, but very gifted lyricist.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 AM

Dylan. Martin Sexton? He's great but not close to the same league in terms of writing. He may be a better guitar player though, and he's got a great voice. I'm all for Leonard Cohen.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM

Tough choice...though I agree with the other posts as to who has the most annoying voice .

Actually, there is something intriguing about both of their styles. Their respective songwriting talents are beyond question. Vocally, they both have a very strange quality that actually sort of draws you in. From a guitarist standpoint...each has their quirks. Young is extremely "sloppy" and inconsistent. Dylan really doesn't market himself as much of a guitarist in the technical sense. More of a rhythm guy that injects a few interesting fills from time to time.

For me..it would be a tie between the two.
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
In The Pocket

I listen and appreciate Dylan more than Young, myself... My brother is very much a Dylan fan - even named his first born Dylan... As for their voices, I like their unique styles, and the voices of other "unique" and easily identifiable (yet maybe not technically great) singers... I am drawn to these types of voices.

I really have to say that... Whether as a compliment or a critique, my own voice has been compared to Dylan by many folks. Yeah... But at least no one has ever said - "Man that sucked, you sound just like Bob Dylan"... At least not yet!

Devin
Isaiah 38:20
---------------------
Devin @ MySpace
Devin's Guitars

Last edited by Devin; 08-30-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
Hi Max,

There is no way Neil has had a greater impact than Dylan...just no way. Both are great. Both have unique styles. Both have impacted the music scene in a big way. But when history looks back, Bob Dylan will stand out as one of, if not, THE most influential lyrical poet/musician of the 20th century. Other than the Beatles, I can't think of one other performer that has inspired more artists than Dylan. Concerning covers, other than the Beatles and Elvis, no one artist has been covered more than Bob Dylan.

Sorry, man, just have to disagree with ya on this one.

I also disagree with you about Dylan's voice. Yeah, Dylan today...you're right. But Dylan's early stuff....definitely a great voice. Different, yes, but a very very good voice.

Ken

P.S. As far as personal tastes, I love both. I have all of Dylan's stuff, and probably 95% of Neil's. I absolutely love "Prairie Wind" by Neil, while "Highway 61 Revisted" stands out as probably the greatest individual album ever released.
Ken,

Well yeah, I think we're splittin' hairs -- they are both incredible artists and very influential, but I think Dylan influencing music heavily has been waning since the early 80's. The Seattle music scene, much of the California Rock sound, the recent acoustic revival -- Neil has had a major impact on emerging artists since the 90's.

I get around a ton of young bands as the owner of a recording studio. Nearly all of them traces some of their influences to NY. Plus consider the sheer amount of musicians who have emerged in the 90's and 00's. The growth has been exponential. Until very recently Dylan has been dormant -- at least in a commercial way. Young has been churning out some of the best material of his career and young (no pun intended) artists are definitely soaking it in.

max
Old 08-30-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Ken,

Well yeah, I think we're splittin' hairs -- they are both incredible artists and very influential, but I think Dylan influencing music heavily has been waning since the early 80's. The Seattle music scene, much of the California Rock sound, the recent acoustic revival -- Neil has had a major impact on emerging artists since the 90's.

I get around a ton of young bands as the owner of a recording studio. Nearly all of them traces some of their influences to NY. Plus consider the sheer amount of musicians who have emerged in the 90's and 00's. The growth has been exponential. Until very recently Dylan has been dormant -- at least in a commercial way. Young has been churning out some of the best material of his career and young (no pun intended) artists are definitely soaking it in.

max
Max,

I think you may be right on influence. Dylan, more past than present. Talent? They both have it -- and lots of it. I still believe Dylan is the more prolific of the two and will have a greater ranking when history writes its final chapter on the two.

But getting back to the original question, it was "who do you like more." I would have to say Dylan by one horse length.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM

i like them both about the same. i really like dylan's first couple albums, my favorite is the one where he and the chick are walking down a gvillage back street, old volkswagon on the side parked? and i like the album he recorded using the J45N(J50). great tone for a guitar....ideal in my book....

neil always one of my all time favorites, acoustic or electric, that guy wrote some fun tunes, and very cool. "campaingor" my favorit all time of his stuff.

for dylan, favorite all time is north contry girl. makes me cry....well, almost....but that counts!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 08-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
i like them both about the same. i really like dylan's first couple albums, my favorite is the one where he and the chick are walking down a gvillage back street, old volkswagon on the side parked? and i like the album he recorded using the J45N(J50). great tone for a guitar....ideal in my book....

neil always one of my all time favorites, acoustic or electric, that guy wrote some fun tunes, and very cool. "campaingor" my favorit all time of his stuff.

for dylan, favorite all time is north contry girl. makes me cry....well, almost....but that counts!
Woody, that would be "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan." There are really 5 albums that are considered Dylan essentials, and that is counted as one of them. That was his second album and his first written exclusively with original material.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kente777 View Post
Woody, that would be "The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan." There are really 5 albums that are considered Dylan essentials, and that is counted as one of them. That was his second album and his first written exclusively with original material.

Ken
sweet! and can i assume "blood on the tracks" to be one of the 5 essential? i have that one in LP....
some great staple dylan songs on that for sure....

what are the 5 by the by?

thanks!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compurocker View Post
. . .Would you prefer Dark Side of the Moon or SGT Peppers? . . .
Sgt Pepper's for me (and I realize it was rhetorical question)
[Still enjoying my H&D OM-C ~ Thanks, Jeff!!]

Between Dylan and Young (sounds like a law firm), I think Bob Dylan was/is "more important" socially but that Neil Young is a "more talented musician," instrumentally speaking at least.
Dylan's voice makes me wonder. . .
Young's voice makes me wonder, but not as much. . .

Not really Apples and Oranges ~ more like Tangelos and Kumquats
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDavid View Post
Sgt Pepper's for me (and I realize it was rhetorical question)
[Still enjoying my H&D OM-C ~ Thanks, Jeff!!]

but that Neil Young is a "more talented musician," instrumentally speaking at least.

well, i dont know. dylan's ealy stuff has some really nice and intricate picking, and neil always just doing his muffled really cool strum....dylan isnt soloing like neil, that is for sure, but acoustically, i find them both talented. but i guess, if i think about it, neil did seem to blossom more over time with some really cool riffs on both acoustic and electric, in a way dylan never did. but i find north country girl complex. maybe it's just me?

here is the link to him doing it in '64 on some canadian tv show:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZ2-S8EN...elated&search=

i belive that tone to be the gibson that evetually got lost or stolen....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r

Last edited by woodruff; 08-30-2007 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
sweet! and can i assume "blood on the tracks" to be one of the 5 essential? i have that one in LP....
some great staple dylan songs on that for sure....

what are the 5 by the by?

thanks!
Freewheelin
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisted
Blond On Blond
Blood On the Tracks

Of course, to the Dylan fan, these 5 only scratch the surface, but they are kind of the recommended staples to someone who is looking for a place to start. I would add "Time Out of Mind" and "Modern Times" to that list myself. Dylan has re-invented himself with his last 3 releases.

Ken
Old 08-30-2007, 12:38 PM

Neil as a young man:

"Old Man"

Neil as an old man:

"Old Man"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell