The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-05-2002, 11:52 PM

Default What does "piezo" mean?

I've seen it in several posts on this and other guitar forums. I studied Italian, but this word escapes me.
Old 07-06-2002, 09:54 AM

I believe 'piezo' is a type of crystal. It is used in pickups to give an acoustic sound to guitars. It may have other uses (in watches?), but I'm not positive.

James
Old 07-06-2002, 04:59 PM

"piezo-" is actually Greek, meaning "pressure".

In particular, piezo-electricity is "electricity or electric polarity due to pressure especially in a crystalline substance, such as quartz".

The piezo-crystals in certain types of acoustic pickups translate pressure variations (vibration) into electrical signals, which are in turn translated into sound by the amp.
Old 07-06-2002, 05:38 PM

While on the subject, what's the difference between a condensor and a cardiod (sp?) microphone? Is one better than the other? IS there a difference? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:59 PM

I believe cardioid is an assymetrical pickup pattern and is used to describe a mic's pattern of sensitivity, not the type of mic it is. The more pronounced patterns of this type are referred to as supercardioid or hypercardioid.

Condensers are piezoelectric mics and are generally more sensitive than dynamic mics, but they require phantom power. Condensers can have cardioid patterns.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:01 AM

Orphan, your question is far from dumb. There are a lot of confusing technical terms used in the world of microphones, and I am still trying to make sense of all the information I got. Take a look at the Shure web site, particularly in the technotes page. There are a lot of really helpful technical notes about microphones, how they are made, how to use them, etc.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A cardioid mic, as streamlinedman put it, is a mic with an asymetrical pickup pattern. In this case, the pattern looks like a heart, with the point being at the front of the mic. That's how it got the name with the same root as "cardiac" (pertaining to the heart).

A condenser mic is a mic which converts sound to electricity by sensing the change in capacitance between a metallic diaphragm and an electrode when the diaphagm moves in response to sound waves.

Interestingly enough, Fishman undersaddle pickups aren't piezo pickups! They refer to their pickup as a co-polymer sensor. I suppose what we are looking at is a pair of metal-coated polymer wafers spaced apart by a tiny space. I wouldn't be suprised if they work on the principle of variable capacitance as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-10-2002, 09:44 PM

PIE-ZO - Noun. Colloquial abbreviation for "pie zoology", the study of micro animal organisms commonly found in pie. Often a 400 or graduate level course. Favored by scholarship athletes.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell