The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-13-2017, 10:32 PM

Default NGD - Emerald X7 Nylon

Nylon string X7 with 632mm scale, 1 7/8” nut, 2 2/8” bridge string spacing and 13 frets to the body. When I ordered 5 months ago the Emerald woody top passion was just warming up — I splurged on the headstock instead of the veneer.

I got the X7 steel string shown above two months ago. During the wait for my X7 nylon, Emerald offered a select series X7. I wasn’t looking for an X7 steel string but Alistair had a picture of my dog, carved on the guitar — I couldn’t resist it. Buying it was crazy,

I’m happy I did that crazy thing. My two off-the-wall X7s are together now on the wall. For the past few days I’ve been playing both back and forth. The nylon feels noticeably lighter — probably due both to lighter sound board and no electronics. Playability is very similar, but the nylon is naturally easier on my picking fingers. I don’t really notice the 3/4” scale difference. The nylon bass strings are louder, whereas the steel treble strings are louder. I have Martin Retro MM11 custom lights on the steel and Emerald installed D’Addario EJ44TT extra hard tensions on the nylon. I’ve ordered some D’Addario carbon trebles (called “normal tension” but are higher tension than my current “extra hard” trebles) to try on the nylon and plan to try lower tension trebles as well. This is fun.

This nylon X7 is unique and I am very pleased with it. Emerald is impressive — their creations are wonderful and their custom builds are special. Sean does a great job of working with you through the process of specifying what you want.

Jim

Last edited by JimCA; 05-13-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 PM
Guest 1478

Great guitar Jim, that slotted headstock is a real work of art!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Both are sweet! Yep, that slotted headstock is absolutely beautiful. Lucky you!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! Beautiful headstock.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:22 AM

JimCA,
Congratulations! I am so excited to hear about your X7 Nylon as I wait for mine! I hope you enjoy it!
Barb
Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 AM

Your nylon is a real beauty with the headstock the icing on the cake!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:34 AM

Nice stuff Jim. I would love to hear some recorded stuff
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Nice pair there! Cool tools for different occasions, congrats!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

What a cool set of fraternal twins! The headstock on that X7 Nylon is breathtaking.

The X7 is a very special guitar. Your two have taken that to another level!

When I bought my X7 Opus, I was looking for a small(ish) carbon fiber guitar that would travel with us. I wasn't sure about the off-set soundhole and the non-traditional look, especially having never seen one in person. When I opened the box and the gig bag, I marveled at the build quality and looks. Then, strummed the first chord - sounds great! But, the comfort of that guitar changed how I now consider guitars.

Congratulations on those lovely X7s!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Guest 928

Congratulations on a great pair of guitars.

In looking at the two of them I wondered if anyone has ever made a double neck nylon/steel combo?
Old 05-14-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations on the pair of X7's! I'm patiently waiting on this little beauty. http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x7...v=7516fd43adaa
I place all of the blame, for this purchase, on Jim Whelan!
Thanks again, Jim, for the X20. I play it daily!
Ed
Old 05-14-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmilk View Post
Congratulations on the pair of X7's! I'm patiently waiting on this little beauty. http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x7...v=7516fd43adaa
I place all of the blame, for this purchase, on Jim Whelan!
Thanks again, Jim, for the X20. I play it daily!
Ed
Yes, I have lots of you to blame for these X7s. Barb for first mentioning an X7 nylon, Captain Jim for his X7 love and entertaining commentary, Sirwhale for his crossover quest, Evan for his pursuit of nylon, nylon nylon; just a few of the many. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2017, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
Yes, I have lots of you to blame for these X7s. Barb for first mentioning an X7 nylon, Captain Jim for his X7 love and entertaining commentary, Sirwhale for his crossover quest, Evan for his pursuit of nylon, nylon nylon; just a few of the many. Thank you!
I guess we're all trying to quell the sudden (in my case, anyway) on-set of GAS! After all the post's/reading on the X7's, I jumped over to Emerald's "Select Series" for May, and had to have this one!
The headstock on yours is a piece of art, in and of itself,
Enjoy,
Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber