The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 guys - question

I queried Sean at Emerald whether I could get a custom X20 with features like a short scale, custom neck carve, etc. Of course the answer is YES!

So I'm really considering a custom build. The three I've seen come through here with the cocobolo veneers are just so attractive that they've got me thinking I might jump on that bandwagon. Even though one does not generally think of cocobolo as a top wood, I much prefer darker tops like on my burst finish Santa Cruz 1929 00.

The 'standard' pickups they offer now are the LR Baggs Element VTC (volume & tone control). Sean said they offer the LR Baggs Anthem for an up-charge. There was no mention of the K&K although I know they used to offer them, again as a custom order since the body needed special shaping on the inside to accommodate the SBT gluing. Sean did say that they had gotten away from the barn door pick systems.

I generally prefer the simplicity of the K&K system and if I have a choice I usually install that. Although it is nice to have volume and tone controls in the sound hole and a hotter signal. Complaints I've read about the Element system is they sound tinny. Since I play fingerstyle with meat of fingertips having extra treble is not a bad thing for me. I did briefly own an X20 with the Fishman barn door and it wasn't too bad. It sounded good, at least.

Anyway, my question is for everyone that has an X20 -

1.) What pickup system do you have (assuming you have one) and how do you like it?
2.) What are the strengths and weaknesses of what you have?
3.) If you had to do it again or were doing custom order, what would you get in your X20?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Anyway, my question is for everyone that has an X20 -

1.) What pickup system do you have (assuming you have one) and how do you like it?
3.) If you had to do it again or were doing custom order, what would you get in your X20?
Congratulations on your (eventual) NHCEGD (New Highly Customized Emerald Guitar Day)!

Re your questions:
1. My X20 has a K&K, and like many others I think it sounds great. I am running it through a Red-Eye preamp, and although I am surprised that I still need to roll off a fair amount of bass, the results are great. I am seriously thinking of switching from the Red-Eye to the amazing new ToneDexter, though. If you are at all interested in the ToneDexter, read through the extensive thread over in the Acoustic Amplification subforum. One thing about the ToneDexter is that it makes pickup choice quite a bit less important.

2. I assume question 2 is still about pickup systems… I love the fact that the K&K is passive. I am delighted at no longer having to deal with onboard batteries, and as for barn doors… no way, never again. I don't even have the K&K onboard volume control… if it's not the kind of show with somebody else doing the mixing, there are other places in the signal chain to adjust volume and eq. Weaknesses? Eh, nothings perfect, but I would not hesitate to order a K&K again (or if I could afford it, a Dazzo).

3. Custom features: this is an interesting question, because thinking back to when I ordered my X20 almost five years ago, a lot has changed.
- I asked for a blue X20. Alistair came through, and since then Cobalt Blue has been a standard option. (It came out just as I had hoped).
- I asked for a K&K… not sure if I was the first on that one.
- I asked for Gotoh 510 tuners, also now standard on the Artisan series.
- I asked for a truss rod, also now standard.

So what would I do differently? I would definitely investigate multi-scale (AKA fan fret). First, I would have to actually play one! But theoretically, at least, it sounds like it would be useful for all the kī hōʻalu (slack key) tunings that I use, going as low as Bb.

Aloha!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 PM

This is quite a fun thread, can I chime in?

The only non standard option I adopted was the cocobolo veneer. No pick up and went for the gig bag instead.

To answer your questions;

1) No pick up on mine - so N/A
2) The strength and weaknesses on the custom feature I added - the veneer is a real eye candy, as much as I enjoyed playing it, I enjoyed admiring it equally without having to baby a gem like I do with my Collings and Benavides.
3) I wouldn't change a thing on my current Emerald but if I were to do a 2nd custom order, I would consider choosing fret wire size exactly like what Collings uses, air-brush artwork (like the Star-Spangled example) on the entire guitar with matching bridge pins and additional artwork/inlays on the fretboard if possible.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

My X20 is one of the Select Series (Feb), so a Custom, but not something I spec'ed out.

1. I have the LR Baggs Element VTC on mine. The pickup is a bit bass-heavy, but easy enough to EQ out. I use a PlayAcoustic pedal, and make the adjustments on that. The Element controls don't have the EQ adjustments available with the B-Band (barndoor) I have in my X7. The Element is a bit hotter, as well.

2. Strengths and weaknesses? The guitar plays great, sounds great, and is gorgeous; I truly don't see any weakness. The ergonomics are very comfortable, but after almost a year with my X7, you notice this guitar is a lot bigger.

3. Changes for the next Custom? Did I just write that? This guitar is a delight. The unique veneer is a visual pleasure. The feel and sound are just what I like. Maybe a shorter scale? This has the stock 25.5" scale, and I have no problem moving between the 24, 24.875, and 25.5 on my other guitars. But, my "trend" has been towards shorter over the past few years. Then again, probably not - this scale just fits with this size guitar.

Good luck with the choices.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:06 AM
Guest 928

I had the K&K in my X20-OSN, and loved it. Like Uncle, I was glad to get away from the burden of a battery. I have a volume control cord which is all the control I want at the guitar. Anything else I can to at the amp.

I'm thinking of a custom order using the Barbera transducer--something new and something that sounds promising.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I'm thinking of a custom order using the Barbera transducer--something new and something that sounds promising.
Seriously, compadre, before you think of getting all fancy with pickups, read through the ToneDexter thread over in the acoustic amplification sub-forum. Our old friend BuzzardWhiskey is a major player, and it's fascinating.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Seriously, compadre, before you think of getting all fancy with pickups, read through the ToneDexter thread over in the acoustic amplification sub-forum. Our old friend BuzzardWhiskey is a major player, and it's fascinating.
I've been following that thread including listening to the sound clips and you're right UP, the ToneDexter seems to be all it's promoted to be. Certainly warrants serious consideration.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM

BB which I hemmed and hawed about before having Emerald put it on. I probably would go for something that doesn't have a barn door next time as I don't use it enough to warrant having it. Also with improving technology a permanent pickup today is probably not as good as tomorrows. If I was using it everyday I might have a different opinion, but I have only needed to plug it in a couple of times and it was perfect for those occasions.

Not sure there are any weaknesses. I have tweaked the truss and tried different strings and saddles. I have pretty much gone back to factory settings and those settings are near perfect in my opinion as I couldn't improve it noticeably with any tweaking.

I found that I have to have a little bit of powder with me when I play outside as my hand will sometimes get sweaty while fretting. It took a blister or two before I realized what needed to be done. Never had that problem with an old wood guitar I used to use, but then again I didn't take it out as much.

Strengths: I like how I can pick up the guitar at any temperature and humidity and it's in tune. I usually leave the guitar out and within reach and don't have to worry about it getting damaged. It has a couple of scratches from wear and tear and bad pick technique, but it still plays as well as the day I got it.

The ergonomics are excellent. I haven't played another guitar that is as comfortable sitting on my lap as this X20. Standing up with a strap it's still noticeably better too.

The tuners are my absolute favorite of any guitar I have ever had. I like the Lucky 13 tuners too (both Gotoh), but the X20 ones edge it out slightly.

If I lost this X20 I would get another, but I probably won't get another 6 string acoustic guitar otherwise (even if it was the only 6 string guitar remaining with me). If I did get another X20 I might try to shorten the scale slightly and/or consider nylon strings (Evan B) so I can play longer during one sitting. I am also extremely interested in the fan fret design. So I guess if I got another 6 string X20 it would be along the lines of a slightly shorter scale or nylon, fan fret, slotted bridge, woody guitar without a pickup. I am probably missing some details, but I am not worried because Alistair would see to them.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 05-03-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: I should have noted that I have had this guitar since fall of 2013.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber