The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM

I just bought a Yamaha C40 for my son to learn on, and it's a great guitar for the money. Well built, spruce top, nice fingerboard, great frets... Can't complain for less than $150.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Is your son's high school guitar program specifically classical guitar or just a generic guitar program? If his high school classes are specifically in studying classical guitar, you should get him a nylon/classical guitar for home practice. Switching to steel string for practicing classical pieces can be confusing for the student, as the string spacing and nut width are different, and nylon reacts differently than steel strings.
http://stevehung.bandcamp.com
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM

I was at a shop yesterday in the Bay Area. Definitely not your "top end" brands. BUt I must say there were a lot of pretty solid nylons even in the 150-300 range. I wouldn't invest a ton of money into this guitar as who knows if he'll still be with it 6 months from now. Take him to a shop and let him strum different guitars. Maybe one will speak to him?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical