The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM

Default New Kremona Solea

So I did not plan on getting a new guitar but the shop on my way home from work had a Kremona Solea that I had played when I got my first classical. I always liked it and was very impressed with it when I played it. But it was too much so I got the entry level Rondo model instead and it was a great guitar for the money. But that Solea just sat...and sat...for a year, so finally I went in and made a trade-in offer and was able to get it. It is a cedar top with cocobolo back and sides, ebony fret board, and headstock overlay. It has a lot of volume and the trebles are much louder than my previous Rondo. The g string is also much clearer than on my other guitar. I would not call the balance perfect, but it is pretty good. I have played some other guitars and the most comparable guitar to my ear was a Loriente Marieta which had less volume but was also what I wold call less "dynamic". The Loriente was a superior guitar but also over a $1000 more and it was used. I am using hard tension d'addraio carbons right now. I am going to try a set of hard tension Savarez next. Overall it is a very nice guitar for the price. The sound is what I would describe as darker than my spruce topped rondo, but with more sustain. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give the build quality a solid 8. Not perfect but not poor at all. There is some glue residue I can see on the inside and the rosette is kind of odd looking, but the fret work is great and the tuners are very nice. The Cocobolo is very pretty and the ebony on the fret board is even and dark. Overall I have to say that I like Kremona guitars and consider them just a notch ahead with Cordobas in the same price range.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 AM

In my opinion, or should I say preference, I prefer cordoba's sound, as it seems to have a bit more clarity with a bit more focused sound, in cedar or spruce. I almost purchased the same solea model though, it was pretty nice. A crap load of volume for sure, haha. It is a beautiful guitar, I didn't like the neck up by the nut though, I thought it was a bit wide and thin. So is my ramirez's neck though. I also don't like the cordoba's c5 neck so much, it is a bit thin for me, but I do like the c9 and c10's neck. They seem a bit thicker. The solea I almost bought was pretty nice though, it had very loud clear trebles with great bass. Beautiful cocobolo, hope you love your new guitar!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Congratulations on a great guitar!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Pics or it didn't happen! A Solea was on my short list for my next classical. Almost bought one but then a vintage Larrivee LS35 came up for a stupid good deal. Congrats, tho! They're nice guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical