The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Hi benderman,

I had very similar requirements as far as a nylon crossover and ended up with the Yamaha NTX700. Plugged-in sound is great, and the onboard controls offer a lot of flexibility. I've read that some find the string spacing at the bridge a little cramped for fingerpicking, but it's comfortable for me.

Here's mine, plugged into a Zoom handheld recorder:

https://soundcloud.com/eric_m/chet-merle-etc
Thanks for the info & the really nice clip. We play very similar and you sounded very nice. This is what I'm after, This sound that I can pick up on a few tunes for something a little different in flavor. Controls at your finger tips for live play is always nice too. I imagine it's also a comfy sized guitar to sit & play as well?

I'll be seeking out one of these to give a spin for sure.

Thanks again!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 08-02-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
Thanks for the info & the really nice clip. We play very similar and you sounded very nice. This is what I'm after, This sound that I can pick up on a few tunes for something a little different in flavor. Controls at your finger tips for live play is always nice too. I imagine it's also a comfy sized guitar to sit & play as well?

I'll be seeking out one of these to give a spin for sure.

Thanks again!
Yeah, it's a little thinner than most acoustics, about 3.5" deep, so when sitting it's actually more comfortable for me than my steel-strings.

Yep, that's exactly how I use mine: to mix things up tone-wise without a huge adjustment feel-wise. The price was very reasonable too. Shouldn't be too hard to track one down. Best of luck!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
. . . .I had very similar requirements as far as a nylon crossover and ended up with the Yamaha NTX700. Plugged-in sound is great, and the onboard controls offer a lot of flexibility. . . ]
Yes - excellent guitars. I have a Yamaha APX6NA which is the NTX700's predecessor - they play well, fast neck, slim body and sound very good.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:50 AM

No worries. Good luck on your search. I agree with Fitness 1, K and K is a good route. Not too expensive and clean, natural sound.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Hey Danny....quick sidebar question for you. Can't help but notice the headstock pegs and I'm wondering if those are the PegHed pegs? If so, how do you like them? (I just put a deposit down on a Hippner flamenco and it has a tradational headstock). Thanks in advance?

Fred
Hi Fred,

Congrats on the Hippner order. They aren't PegHed tuners, they're Knilling tuners. I love them! They work great.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me some great suggestions. I was able to go play around 6 different Nylon crossovers over the last week. They all had something to offer and really anyone of them would have probaly done a good job for what I was after in this guitar. Something that sounded great plugged in being the most important to me as I still play live a great deal.

I ended up buying from a great friend who also happens to be one of us here on the AGF forum a probably late 90's or so Ovation Country Artist 6773. This is a really nice guitar to play and sounds wonderful plugged in with a nice EQ section and good output for a Nylon.

I'm sure a true classical player would turn their nose up at this guitar but for me to have a nylon tone for a few songs a night this guitar will fill the bill nicely I believe.

Again Thanks for everyones input and pick on!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

Last edited by benderman57; 08-08-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

Congratulations. Those Ovation nylon strings are very good. I hope you enjoy playing it.

If John McLaughlin can play a nylon string Ovation, so can you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdGYBI1fBhs
Old 08-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Not sure which Taylor you played.... I have a 714 Nylon that is my workhorse gigging guitar. The ES, IMHO, does an incredible job whether I'm playing through my Roland AC33, my Bose L1 as well as random house systems.

Lots of great guitars out there, though. Good luck!

* Oops, just saw that you pulled the trigger on a guitar... Congrats

Last edited by lodi_55; 08-08-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: not enough coffee
Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
If John McLaughlin can play a nylon string Ovation, so can you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdGYBI1fBhs
And be sure to add Pat Metheny to the Ovation nylon string list as well....
Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM

I wanted to thank everyone who gave me I I'm sure a true classical player would turn their nose up at this guitar but for me to have a nylon tone for a few songs a night this guitar will fill the bill nicely I believe.

Again Thanks for everyones input and pick on![/QUOTE]

I stumbled upon an Ovation 1114 Folklore in good condition except it had nylon strings on it. the nut was cut for the nylon and looked to be commited to them. I got it at a good price and began fooling around with it thinking, I would change it back to steel and sell it.
What I found was, because of the deep bowl, it is louder than my old mid- bowl Country Artist and had a great Ovation sound...I sold my Country Artist to my neighbor much to my regret...it was a great guitar which no one would confuse with a classical but they sure have their own place and their own sound.
I used the Folklore at a gig last night with a Sure Beta sm57 mic and it did very well.
I am sure you will enjoy your guitar...good choice
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical