The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-29-2017, 08:35 AM

Default K&K XLR preamp or Beringer

I have a few guitars equipped with K&K pure mini pickups in them. I run them into a K&K XLR preamp and then into a Fishman Loudbox Mini.

To me they sound OK but not great. I'm just wondering if it would be an advantage to use a Behringer V-Tone Acoustic Amp Modeler instead of the XLR. I'm thinking I should be able to tweak my sound a little better with the Behringer?? Any thoughts?
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 04-29-2017, 08:57 AM

At $30 it may well be worth the experiment. I've paid twice that for a darn cable.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 AM

When you're playing into an acoustic amp like your Mini, no preamp is required. Or for that matter, desired!

The Mini already has the needed preamp inside. Adding another outboard preamp will hurt your tone.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
When you're playing into an acoustic amp like your Mini, no preamp is required. Or for that matter, desired!

The Mini already has the needed preamp inside. Adding another outboard preamp will hurt your tone.
^^^This^^^ X2
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:

But then where does the impedance mismatch come into play? I read on several threads on this board that the K&K has a 1 ohm output and the amp has 10 ohm input. Therefore you need the 1 ohm input on the preamp to tame the mids and bass?

I know this subject has been thrashed over and over but I'm just not sure what to believe anymore
Alvarez AF60SHB
Harmony H1215. 1953
Epiphone ES-339
3 home built Strat's
Old 04-29-2017, 12:04 PM

The K&K has an output impedance of 500k to 1 Meg ohms. Channel 1 on the Loudbox has an impedance input of 10 Meg ohms, high impedance. Plug straight into channel 1. Using a preamp on channel 1 will cause a mismatch and probably not sound good. Is your sound muddy when using your preamp on channel 1?Channel 2, XLR input, is low impedance of 2k ohms. The output of the preamp is also low impedance. Is this clear as mud?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Hi 6L6

I don't find that to be true at all - particularly then part about hurting tone.

I've got K&K pickups (with internal mics as well) in 4 acoustics, and my gigging partner has them in 2 of his acoustics, and we mix sound for, or play with, half dozen others regularly with K&K Pure mini pickups running through preamps before stage-amps/PA.

We have an array of decent acoustic amps and PA systems, and all of the guitars sound better running through an external preamp before the acoustic amp/PA.

The external preamp expands tone adjustment, and improves the tone, despite the fact there are preamps in PA boards, and acoustic amps.

In the case of dual source rigs using internal powered mics, there is no option for not using external preamps.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-29-2017, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
But then where does the impedance mismatch come into play? I read on several threads on this board that the K&K has a 1 ohm output and the amp has 10 ohm input. Therefore you need the 1 ohm input on the preamp to tame the mids and bass?

I know this subject has been thrashed over and over but I'm just not sure what to believe anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
The K&K has an output impedance of 500k to 1 Meg ohms.
The K&K output impedance varies depending on frequency. None of those impedances are anywhere near 500k or 1 MegOhm.

The output impedance of a device is usually much lower than the input impedance of the next device in the signal chain.

K&K recommends a preamp with an input impedance of 1 MegOhm. Several tests presented on this forum strongly suggest that any input impedance of 880k or higher (e.g., 10 MegOhm) all act, behave and sound identically with the K&K pickup.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=sdelsolray;5323246]The K&K output impedance varies depending on frequency. None of those impedances are anywhere near 500k or 1 MegOhm.

Thanks for correcting me. I should have said the Pure sounds best with input impedence of 500k-1Meg per their spec sheet.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:38 AM

So there you have it - all good advice, and differing opinions on impedance match/mismatch. That's not surprising since there are always other variables involved. When I play my Yamaha guitar with K&K Mini PU, I don't hear a lot of difference if I add a preamp. Here's something you can try: Plug the lead from your preamp into the Aux input in the back of the Loudbox Mini. That bypasses the built-in preamp.

Experiment!
Epiphone Dot
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
So there you have it - all good advice, and differing opinions on impedance match/mismatch. That's not surprising since there are always other variables involved. When I play my Yamaha guitar with K&K Mini PU, I don't hear a lot of difference if I add a preamp. Here's something you can try: Plug the lead from your preamp into the Aux input in the back of the Loudbox Mini. That bypasses the built-in preamp.

Experiment!
Learn something new every day. Didn't know that. I'll give it a try for experimental purposes. Thanks
Alvarez AF60SHB
Harmony H1215. 1953
Epiphone ES-339
3 home built Strat's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification