The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Oh my goodness - that second link in Ceciltguitar's post leads to this:

http://emeraldguitars.com/portfolio/...v=7516fd43adaa

That guitar is gorgeous! A thin body X7... electric. Make it for nylon strings, and Evan will have all he ever wanted!!

The orange finish on that is very cool!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Yes, a woody nylon version of the orange.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 AM

I'm a steel string player but find myself researching and hankering to try a nylon strung guitar. Going to attempt to change my acoustic steel string guitar over to nylon. If it doesn't work then I will be gassing for a nylon hybrid/crossover.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Guest 928

Frankie;

Nylon strings on a steel string guitar will work, but not well. A steel string instrument is designed for greater tension and so you don't get the same volume with the lower tension of nylon strings--high tension nylon strings will give you a bit more volume but nothing like you'd get on a guitar built for nylon strings.

The nut width is also a consideration since steel string guitars tend to have a narrow nut width while nylon strung instruments have wide nut widths to accommodate the string slop and finger work.

You don't mention if your guitar is an acoustic/electric but if is and if it has magnetic pickups the pickups will not work with nylon string.

Still, depending on your guitar, the nylon strings are worth a try just to check out the feel and playability. If you put nylons on your steel guitar, I'd recommend that you then head down to your nearest guitar shop and compare your guitar with available hybrid nylon string instruments.

Enjoy the experiment and let us know how things work out.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nylon strings?? Really?? I guess some might play them you know.. for nostalgia or leg crossing or something like that.
That's really great!!
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

Guitar Doc;

No, it's not. The Kramster just bugs me relentlessly over my love of nylon strung guitars. I used to be able to bug him back because he had an on-line video of him doing marvelously with a nylon string guitar. But, he sold it and now he has the high ground. That's OK. I may be underground with my fanaticism regarding cf nylon string guitars, but I'm active.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Guest 928

As far as that beautiful thin-bodied X7 electric guitar--where are the sound tracks? CF electric guitars have been a rarity in the U.S. and a new one should get some play.....
Old 04-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Yes! Where are the sounds from the Emerald thin-bodied, electric guitar? Inquiring ears want to hear!!
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM

Default Pulled the trigger

I ordered a x-20 nylon today from emerald guitars. I'm hoping that in the 5 long month that I practice and become worthy of what others call a remarkable guitar. As a classical guitarist I appreciate a fine wooden guitar but the practical side who lives near the beach in Florida says carbon may be a better fit. More playing and less worry about heat and humidity.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Guest 928

Kevin;

I look forward to seeing and hearing what you've ordered. The wait is never easy.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Frankie;

Nylon strings on a steel string guitar will work, but not well. A steel string instrument is designed for greater tension and so you don't get the same volume with the lower tension of nylon strings--high tension nylon strings will give you a bit more volume but nothing like you'd get on a guitar built for nylon strings.

The nut width is also a consideration since steel string guitars tend to have a narrow nut width while nylon strung instruments have wide nut widths to accommodate the string slop and finger work.

You don't mention if your guitar is an acoustic/electric but if is and if it has magnetic pickups the pickups will not work with nylon string.

Still, depending on your guitar, the nylon strings are worth a try just to check out the feel and playability. If you put nylons on your steel guitar, I'd recommend that you then head down to your nearest guitar shop and compare your guitar with available hybrid nylon string instruments.

Enjoy the experiment and let us know how things work out.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=467192

Should be posts in this link (if it works) regarding my attempt to nylon my acoustic.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Guest 928

Frankie;

The outcome you mention seems right. It was, I think, a worthy attempt, one that a lot of players have tried. It's one of those things you almost have to try to see/hear for yourself.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Not nylon string, but May's Select series is another home run!!!

http://emeraldguitars.com/custom-gui...v=7516fd43adaa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber