The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-24-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Mondays Are "Damien Lewis Day" For Me

Have my DVR set to record "wolf Hall" and "Billions" on Sunday night. Watch them Monday while I have dinner. Lewis goes from Henry VIII to Bobby Axelrod in the space of an hour. Same guy, different accents.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:43 PM

Default Damien Lewis Day ?

I think that's "Daniel Day Lewis" ...

Last edited by Long Jon; 04-25-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added a grin to help the slow boys at the back, or down under...
Old 04-24-2017, 08:29 PM

No, it's the red-haired Damian Lewis and he is English but does a pretty convincing American accent.
Appeared in the US series 'Band of Brothers' and 'Homeland'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-29-2017, 11:53 PM

He was also in a very entertaining but short lived show from about 2007 called Life, along with Adam Arkin and Sarah Shahi. Was sorry to see it cancelled after two seasons.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
He was also in a very entertaining but short lived show from about 2007 called Life, along with Adam Arkin and Sarah Shahi. Was sorry to see it cancelled after two seasons.
He was in a very funny movie called "the Baker" where he played a hit man hiding out in a small English coastal village. He buys a decrepit bakery as cover but gets interested in actually baking.

My other favorite English actor returns to American cable tonight, Ian McShane returns in the series "American Gods" which looks like a very strange series. McShane has aged well, I still remember him in a small role in "The Battle of Britain"
Old 04-30-2017, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed Wolf Hall, and although I didn't know much about the works of Hilary Mantel, I found her description of Thomas Cromwell rather convincing, and, of course in the TV mini series Mark Rylance created a very convincing characterisation.

The aspect of the story that impressed me was how dangerous and nerve wracking it must have been to be anywhere near that court.

Once you've seen this version of Cromwell, might be worth digging out "A Man For All Seasons" which shows a very different Cromwell.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Once you've seen this version of Cromwell, might be worth digging out "A Man For All Seasons" which shows a very different Cromwell.
There's a clever reference to this in Wolf Hall when Cromwell comments that More is the better scholar and is literally authoring the version of events that will be remembered by history.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I enjoyed Wolf Hall, and although I didn't know much about the works of Hilary Mantel, I found her description of Thomas Cromwell rather convincing, and, of course in the TV mini series Mark Rylance created a very convincing characterisation.

The aspect of the story that impressed me was how dangerous and nerve wracking it must have been to be anywhere near that court.

I actually thought Rylance sort of stole the show in "Bridge of Spies". He had a small role compared to Hanks but his ability to get so much across in so subtle a way was pretty amazing. He made the least sympathetic character in the movie the one you cared most about.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I saw Rylance twice at the Globe. He was stellar as the duke in Measure for Measure and hilarious as Olivia in 12th Night.

I agree--he stole the show in Bridge of Spies. I think his latest movie Dunkirk is due out this summer.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic