The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-28-2017, 07:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Hallelujah Leonard Cohen lesson part 1

Here is a part one lesson for the song "Hallelujah". Covered by many. This is based on the Leonard Cohen version and is in the key of C. Good song for finger style when first starting out.

One of my wife's favorite songs so always a bonus to learn those

Enjoy!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:16 AM

Thanks for posting this lesson. I started working on it last night. As a relatively new fingerstyle player I find your instruction is very clear and confidence building.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's great to hear azrunner. Glad you like it. Relax a little and it will come. Practice a little each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 07:26 AM

Thumbs up

Really nice job. And I'm picky. Greatly appreciate you saying "strumming hand," so many people act like there's no other option than "right" and, honestly, there's a split-second of delay when we/I translate to which hand you are talking about. Thanks.

Also, very nice touch to say what kind of timing we've got. People neglect that often or leave it to the end after teaching one note at a time which does not encourage good rhythm in my opinion.

Slower is faster - dead on.

I think it's ok to mention p i m a, also. If you did, I didn't catch it. If people have learned that, counting fingers gets mixed in with counting timing and strings, so that's just another connection you could draw.

You do have a really nice relaxed tone. I am working on various walk downs so looking forward to the next lesson.

Oh, and I liked your singing.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 04-30-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sunnydee thanks so much for watching and the great feedback!

I will keep the tip in mind. So to be clear you mean index, middle, ring and pinky labels for the fretting hand correct? I think that is how I usually explain it but will keep in mind.

Thanks for the compliment. That makes it easier to keep doing lessons.

I do think slowing down, both tempo and for life in general, is the way to go when it comes to learning something new. Then you can keep building on to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDepew View Post
Sunnydee thanks so much for watching and the great feedback!

I will keep the tip in mind. So to be clear you mean index, middle, ring and pinky labels for the fretting hand correct? I think that is how I usually explain it but will keep in mind.
No, those are the thumb and three picking fingers on the strumming hand. I assume it's from Spanish classical guitar because the original words are Spanish, but many people use it as a standard for any guitar style. If you don't, that would explain why you wouldn't mention it.

Thumb, p
Index , i
Middle, m
Ring , a

The issue is that when you are counting 1,2,3... it can confuse people if you are counting time, strings, or fingers. Not so much in this video, but in general.

Bring on part 2!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write