The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-23-2017, 09:35 AM

Default 50mm nut, truss rod, low action, thin neck?

Hi I have a crossover guitar and I'm new to the nylon world. After playing my guitar some time, I'm working out what I'd like, but I'm struggling.
The 48mm nut width I have is slightly to narrow and the bridge string spacing is too narrow at 55mm.

I'm finding it hard to find a guitar with the following specs, can you help?

Good acoustic sound (as in, not just a guitar to be plugged in)
50mm nut
58-60mm string spacing
Thin neck - like the Cordoba Luthier series
Low action 2.5mm - 3.5mm range (I suppose that is like all flamenco guitars...)
Truss rod
Cut away preferable but not essential
Radiused fret board preferable, but not essential
Around 1000-1500euros is a good range, for my wife...

Desirable qualities
Strong, bright, treble notes - maybe that means a spruce and rosewood guitar? (I would use high tension Savarez Alliance)

I live in Barcelona, so there's a lot of traditional classicals around here (what I'm not after). Camps seem to incorporate some of these things, but have a 52mm nut and a flat fretboard. Alhambra have a mix of these things in their cut-away range but they don't have truss rods and appear to be made to be plugged in.

I understand the GK Pro fits most of these specs, but is it really good acoustically? Seems like a good amount of the cost comes from the pick up. It is also describe as an instrument made for playing on stage, something I don't do.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-23-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:41 AM

I have a Camps Primera Blanca that I bought in Barcelona. It is most of what you want except of course the neck. Not as thick as some but still pretty thick, wide and flat. The Primera is a lot of guitar for the price. My only advice is take a little time to play into the neck shape.

You might find a builder in Granada that would make one to your specs.

hunter
Old 04-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I understand the GK Pro fits most of these specs, but is it really good acoustically? Seems like a good amount of the cost comes from the pick up. It is also describe as an instrument made for playing on stage, something I don't do.

[snip]

Yes, the GK Pro sounds great acoustically. I've had 12 Cordoba instruments... four have been GK Pros (2 blancas and 2 negras). I got rid of the three Espana series instruments that I had because I prefer the Chinese-made Luthier series (of which the GK Pro is a member). I will admit though that all three Espanas were thin-bodies (FCWE, 55FCE Ltd ziricote, and 55FCE maple). But it wasn't the acoustic sound that I didn't like (they were actually pretty good sounding for being so thin and comfortable). It was the chunky necks and the fit & finish were more crude than on that of all of the Chinese-made Cordobas that I have owned.

I also currently have an F10 blanca that is great as well. I've had a lot of sub-$4K nylon-strung acoustic instruments over the years and the two GK Pros and F10 that I currently have are my favorite of all. I've also played a few sub-$5K luthier-made instruments that I didn't like as much as I do my Cordobas. If I had liked them as much or more, then I would have owned them by now. The Chinese Luthier series instruments just really resonate with me in terms of tone (plugged-in and unplugged), playability, and fit & finish.

I've been through a lot of nice electric and acoustic gear over the past 30+ years and I can confidently say that these guitars have satisfied me as much or more than any other brand that I've owned in guitars and amps. I do plan to one day get a higher-priced luthier-made instrument, just because I feel that I "deserve" one for as many years as I've gigged. But until I find the one that lights my fire... I'll happily play and gig these Cordobas, which cost a fraction of the price of a handmade instrument. I can't say that I've had that level of satisfaction with very many pieces of gear over the years (the vast majority of which has long since been traded or sold). The only other brand that I've felt as satisfied with as the Cordobas are my Tom Anderson solid body electric guitars. I'll happily recommend those two brands for the rest of my days.

Last edited by Red_Label; 04-24-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Alhambra have a mix of these things in their cut-away range but they don't have truss rods and appear to be made to be plugged in.
I wouldn't let the lack of an adjustable truss rod sway you. I only have a couple of nylons with adjustable rods and they are the only ones that have ever needed adjustment.

hunter
Old 04-24-2017, 02:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

After thinking about this, and looking at the list, I have gone for what I think matches most of these things, which is the C10 crossover. I have bought it with a 30day return guarantee so that I can try this guitar before committing.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 PM

You can get around the 48mm nut width by making a custom asymmetrical nut. This works because the 6th string doesn't need as much room to the fretboard edge as the first string does. Also, with the right strings, 2mm-3mm string height is possible for crossovers. This reduces the need for wider string spacing.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
You can get around the 48mm nut width by making a custom asymmetrical nut. This works because the 6th string doesn't need as much room to the fretboard edge as the first string does. Also, with the right strings, 2mm-3mm string height is possible for crossovers. This reduces the need for wider string spacing.
Thanks Tom

I was thinking this also. I used to read a lot that people blamed the "thicker strings" for the need to have a wider nut, but I noticed that the main problem is that the strings are much higher.

I want low action, probably around 2.5-3.5mm and will probably get a set up. I think this will make a 48mm nut comfortable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical