The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Default Bought Two Classical Guitars Today in Paracho

Today, I bought the following already-made Salvador Castillo classical concert:

Top -- German spruce
Body -- Mexican cocobolo
Neck -- Honduras mohogany
Bridge -- Indian rosewood
Fretboard -- African ebony
Headstock -- Indian rosewood
Tuners -- Schaller (German)

Price with case $2,375 (at today's exchange rate)

I also ordered the same guitar with a Canadian cedar top from Benito Huipe. I paid substantially less for that guitar. I have spent roughly four hours with Benito and his sons over the last two days. They are real serious, hands-on guitar makers, and I would highly recommend them as the highest value for the money in Paracho. Benito has either built or fixed all types of guitars for many well known performers, and he promised me that my guitar would be "a special one." He knows that he is being compared to Salvador Castillo, and I expect a very good guitar.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:48 AM

I bought an Arturo Huipe classical around 10 years ago (time flies!!!), and it was a fantastic guitar. I was bored over Labor Day weekend, and posted it for sale on the defunct Classical Corner. A member said he'd take it within an hour, sent the money, and I didn't want to let him down. That was a long weekend, and I mailed it out on the Tuesday following Labor Day.

Perfect workmanship, excellent tone and volume, and great playability. I heard Arturo worked for Benito as a teenager, and Benito was moving back and forth from Mexico and California. It would seem he's back in Paracho now. Benito's prices have always seemed very fair, but Arturo has raised his prices quite a bit.
Fair enough, as they are excellent.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 AM

I have an older guitar (Cedar top/palo escrito b/s) from Benito's cousin, Eusebio. Very nice instrument.... good tone, fountains of volume. Some of the details are a little rough (you can feel some irregularities in the shape of the back of the neck, joints on the purfling aren't exact), but nothing wrong with the way it plays. Josue Tacoronte plays one of Eusebio's more recent instruments to good effect.

Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
I bought an Arturo Huipe classical around 10 years ago (time flies!!!), and it was a fantastic guitar. I was bored over Labor Day weekend, and posted it for sale on the defunct Classical Corner. A member said he'd take it within an hour, sent the money, and I didn't want to let him down. That was a long weekend, and I mailed it out on the Tuesday following Labor Day.

Perfect workmanship, excellent tone and volume, and great playability. I heard Arturo worked for Benito as a teenager, and Benito was moving back and forth from Mexico and California. It would seem he's back in Paracho now. Benito's prices have always seemed very fair, but Arturo has raised his prices quite a bit.
Fair enough, as they are excellent.
And I'm the guy that was on the other end of that transaction! It was one sweet guitar. Frank, your memory is way better than mine! I believe I sold it only because some hand problems started kicking up, and I've since switched exclusively to short-scale guitars. (BTW, if anyone ever want to buy a guitar from Frank, he's a real good guy.)
-Bob
Old 10-31-2014, 02:09 PM

Cool 2 Classical Guitars from Paracho

I have a Mexican guitar that was made for a big music store (Repertorio Wagner) in Mexico City, which was probably hand-crafted by one of many guitar luthiers in the Paracho area, possibly in the '50s. The b/s are laminated, and the top is solid spruce. The headstock & rosette are unique, with an inlaid harp and I'm hoping someone can provide me with additional information, which would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 10-31-2014, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrfederico View Post
Today, I bought the following already-made Salvador Castillo classical concert:

Top -- German spruce
Body -- Mexican cocobolo
Neck -- Honduras mohogany
Bridge -- Indian rosewood
Fretboard -- African ebony
Headstock -- Indian rosewood
Tuners -- Schaller (German)

Price with case $2,375 (at today's exchange rate)

I also ordered the same guitar with a Canadian cedar top from Benito Huipe. I paid substantially less for that guitar. I have spent roughly four hours with Benito and his sons over the last two days. They are real serious, hands-on guitar makers, and I would highly recommend them as the highest value for the money in Paracho. Benito has either built or fixed all types of guitars for many well known performers, and he promised me that my guitar would be "a special one." He knows that he is being compared to Salvador Castillo, and I expect a very good guitar.
Ok we'll let you slide because its your first post, but when you get a new guitar you have to title the thread NGD (New Guitar Day) and then the make and model. Welcome to the forum. You also have to post pictures or it never happened!

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-01-2014, 10:33 PM

Default Ngd

TBman
Sorry about the breach of etiquette. I deposited the balance owed to Salvador Castillo's bank account this morning through the Bancomer branch in Puerto Vallarta, where I live. I will receive his guitar next week, and I will post photos, if I can figure out how to do that. I will receive Benito Huipe's guitar sometime before Christmas. Thanks for letting me know how things work on the forum.

Scottishrogue
I don't know how it was in the fifties, but today none of the top luthiers make laminated guitar bodies. Do you still play the guitar? How does it sound?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to seeing the guitars. Enjoy them.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
And I'm the guy that was on the other end of that transaction! It was one sweet guitar. Frank, your memory is way better than mine! I believe I sold it only because some hand problems started kicking up, and I've since switched exclusively to short-scale guitars. (BTW, if anyone ever want to buy a guitar from Frank, he's a real good guy.)
-Bob
Hi Bob,
Tony Muller owns the Huipe, and plans to take it to the grave. The Huipe was the one that got away......

Huipe, Navarro, Abel Garcia, and a few others are quite well regarded for their guitars built in Paracho. While many disparage the quality of guitars built in Paracho, the Huipe was built with greater care than the Andres Dominguez Guerrero I briefly owned. It was perfect......
Old 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM

Cool Guitars from Paracho

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrfederico View Post
Scottishrogue, I don't know how it was in the fifties, but today none of the top luthiers make laminated guitar bodies. Do you still play the guitar? How does it sound?
It's very playable, but I have better sounding classicals. I bought it primarily for it's vintage beauty, as someone put a lot of work into this handmade work of art.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Castillo is a really rated luthier in the flamenco side of things. I'd love to get one of his negras one day but they are pretty expensive after tax in the EU.

I post on the Foro Flamenco and there's a guy who has two or three Castillo negras and they are works of art, and are supposed to sound as good they look.

I have a Juan Huipe (Benito's father) cedar cypress blanca that is a nice guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical