The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-07-2024, 12:06 PM

Question 2008 R. Taylor - self-repair / opinions

Hello! Long-time reader, first time poster.

Yesterday, I won an auction for a 2008 R. Taylor Style 2 with Engelmann top and cocobolo back and sides.

I tried to win it from the same auction in July, but it went for about $1600 CAD. Much to my surprise, it was reposted with the same pictures, but also additional pictures of the brutal cracks on the back. I'm assuming the original buyer refused to pay for something that was clearly in much worse shape than the auctioneer lead on.

I was able to grab it, original case and shiny like it's never been played, for $800 CAD ($~590 USD).

I know this is a steal of a deal for such an expensive guitar, even though it needs serious repairs.

Here's my dilemma (please tell me if I'm delusional):
  1. The cracks in the back are clearly from a lack of humidification. The top looks to be pristine, and the limited pictures of sides also look to be in great shape.
  2. There is a vertical brace and (I believe) 3 horizontal braces on the back.
  3. Given that the cracks look like they will sit flush, and have structure from the back braces, could I repair this myself with some Titebond original or hide glue?

Additional Info:
  • I don't pick up the guitar until Saturday, so I can't quite tell if everything will go back together like I think it will.
  • I am not a woodworker in any regard, but I'm not hopeless. All of the repair shops in my area aren't taking in new work for at least 2 months. Hell, my last guitar repair took 2 months to find and fix a loose brace, hence why I'd like to avoid similar (or worse) waits.

Am I entirely delusional? Is this an act of supreme hubris? I'd love your opinion!

Last edited by avskiesna; 02-07-2024 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Adding additional picture
Old 02-07-2024, 12:28 PM

That'll polish out no problem!

Seriously though, that's such a good buy it'd be worth trying to fix yourself if you're handy. It's not likely you'll make it any worse. It'd even be worth getting a pro to fix it for you.

It's in better shape than 'Trigger' so that's a good start. Best of luck with it.
Old 02-07-2024, 01:03 PM

That is a fabulous guitar!!! Congrats!!!

Now...do the right thing and spend the time...and money...and have it done professionally. There could be issues with the back bracing due to that open crack, and that wood is under tension, both from construction and string load, so you don't really want to fool around, especially with a guitar that nice.

You might even, as in really should, give Taylor Guitars a call and tell them what is up, and send them pics after you get it, and see what they would charge to do the work. From what I have heard, they are very quick on turnabround time, very reasonable in their pricing, and very terrific to work with. Who better to fix a fine guitar, than the maker!

Do this one proper...it really is worth it!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-07-2024, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Nice score. Cocobolo does like to crack sometimes depending on how the guitar is treated and the invironment it is kept in. That guitar is worth having an experienced tech repair it. There may be several things that need addressed appropriately in order to restore it to a stable guitar again. If Pat Diburro is still taking work, he would be my choice.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:28 PM

Hi Joe, yes, I’m still here, just finished a book, CF Martin Guitars, a Repair Guide. Link below. The R Taylor is finished in UV Polyester and I have been applying that hi tech coating for for the last 20 years and would be happy to offer an estimate if shipped in. It is too fine an instrument for a less than professional repair. PM me if interested, pat

https://www.amazon.com/C-F-Martin-Gu...s%2C916&sr=8-1
Old 02-07-2024, 05:36 PM

AMEN! Start with Taylor and see what they say. (I think shipping from Canada to U.S. can be character-building.) Perhaps Taylor uses a delivery service that can be used for a less-costly shipping charge.

But this is a rare and special instrument, there weren't many made, and I think professional attention is warranted. And no, it's not a case of inserting glue and waiting. An amateur repair that needs to be remedied will drive up the final cost a lot.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:04 PM

Default Can certainly be repaired…

And this is a very expensive and lovely guitar, well worth getting it repaired properly by someone who can apply the original UV-cured finish. I build classical guitars and wouldn’t tackle this myself mainly because of the finish. Don’t attempt this yourself as this will further add to the final cost of repair.

Get a quote from Taylor themselves as a starting point. Their customer service is exceptional and the repair department top notch. A skilfully executed repair will be near invisible and you’ll have a high-end instrument at a bargain price.

The R Taylor guitars I’ve played have all been extremely good. Comparable with the best boutique and sole-luthier guitars.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:08 PM

Default a thought

Well, if I can trust my memory of what I've read, 'R Taylor' guitars are both boutique and sole-luthier guitars, built one at a time inside Taylor's factory walls but not on the factory floor.

Enjoy this rare treasure!
Old 02-08-2024, 09:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your great insight and confirming my suspicions.

Pat, I'd love to send it to you, but I just got laid off so that's definitely a no-go at this time. I appreciate the offer!

I joined the waiting list of a local guy who is a certified Taylor luthier and has worked absolute magic for every talented (and clumsy) person I know in town. You've all convinced me not to rush, and I thank you for it.

One more question:
Will it be a problem if I string it up and play it in the meantime? And would painters tape be safe for this finish?

You're all the best,
Ben
2012 Taylor 214CE
200x Taylor Big Baby
Old 02-08-2024, 10:10 PM

Default a thought

The definitive answer would come from a call to Taylor customer service.

If left to me, I don't see a problem, but I know nothing about care for a Taylor catalyzed finish.
Old 02-09-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
The definitive answer would come from a call to Taylor customer service.

If left to me, I don't see a problem, but I know nothing about care for a Taylor catalyzed finish.
I'll definitely call them once I pick it up and can see the condition. Hell, a Taylor rep told me a bunch of the upgrades that the guitar has back in July and I just found the price list from 2008. Knowing it cost $2040 USD just for the upgrades back then totally blows my mind.

There's a local music store that was a dealer and likely sold it back then, so I'm going to drop in to see if they have any records of it (helps that I used to work there too!)
2012 Taylor 214CE
200x Taylor Big Baby
Old 02-09-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

you have a great chance to have a fabulous guitar at a fantastic price.....

or a mediocre repaired guitar at a fair price.

spend a bit more , send ot to Taylor and get it repaired perfectly

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-09-2024, 03:42 PM

To me, the top looks to be in great shape, so it seems like a steal! Do you have good photos of the neck?

I agree with the chorus here - this needs professional work, and it will be worth it. Even if you sell it after repair, I'm guessing you'd come out above water.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:48 PM

Way above water! Whoever sold it gave it away!
Old 02-09-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Way above water! Whoever sold it gave it away!
Agreed! Given it was an estate sale, I think.. well... he's probably no longer with us.

But I am 1000% sending it to the wizard with Taylor's backing, whenever he can take it in (probably April). I'll be slowly humidifying it until then to see if some of the back will fall back into place.

I appreciate the discourse and advice! My ADHD loves a good hyperfocus and attempting to solve problems for which I have no training besides YouTube is pretty common. Y'all have talked me off the ledge. Much love!

And if anyone wants to share their stories/experiences with these guitars, I've love to hear them! I discovered Beppe Gambetta after researching these and then bought his book. Inspiring stuff!
2012 Taylor 214CE
200x Taylor Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic, crack repair, r taylor, repair, taylor