The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2024, 11:31 AM

Default High fret or low fret

Just discovered this on a 6 string dread, 14 frets to the body. If I fret each fret on the high e string the note changes at every fret until I get to the 13, then it stays the same until I get to the 16, then it is ok. It is only on the high e string. I tried an emery board on the 16 but it didn’t change anything. I’m not sure what to do.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2024, 01:03 PM

Use a short straightedge to find a high fret. Slide it toward the bridge until it bumps on the high fret.
Since the buzz is only on the high e, the offending fret is probably sprung on that end. It may be able to be glued down with super glue, but I prefer removing the fret and bending it so there is less chance of it popping up again. Be careful when hammering it back in. Too much hammering is a primary reason the fret ends can pop up.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Changing at every fret sounds like either the string has a defect or is perhaps a very light gauge. You usually won't have a guitar where the frets are all wonky under only one string, unless it's fret wear (which should be obvious) or if the ends are lifting (which should also be obvious.

Do as recommended above and take a straight edge to it.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinters View Post
Just discovered this on a 6 string dread, 14 frets to the body. If I fret each fret on the high e string the note changes at every fret until I get to the 13, then it stays the same until I get to the 16, then it is ok. It is only on the high e string. I tried an emery board on the 16 but it didn’t change anything. I’m not sure what to do.
Any suggestions?
Just to make sure I understand the symptoms - so there is no change in pitch going from 13 to 14 to 15, and this only happens on the high E string? Is the pitch correct at the 13th fret on the E (F5, 698.46 Hz)? Does anything change if you press harder on the 14th and 15th frets?

IF the note at the 13th fret is higher than it's supposed to be (i.e., the note you should hear at the 15th fret, G5 783.99 Hz) and then goes up to G#5/Ab5 (830.61 Hz) on the 16th fret, then your 15th fret is too high.

If the note is correct at the 13th fret (F5, 698.46 Hz) and stays there when you move up to the 14th and 15th frets with no change that is truly bizarre and I don't know what would cause this. Even if the 13th fret is high it is out of the picture when you fret above it.

I've used superglue and a clamp (with wooden cauls to protect the fretboard and neck to seat the sprung fret back down. I've also used fret files to re-crown and dress a fret that is just too high.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:52 PM

I fiddled around with it briefly this afternoon. I was really hoping to find a sprung fret end but they all seem to be tight to the fretboard.
I found that the slight buzz starts at the 6th fret, disappears at the 8th, reappears at the 13 and disappears at the 15.
I tried leveling the upper frets above the body- very gently. It didn’t change anything and the buzz is also on the B string. I tried a temporary shim on top of the saddle. It didn’t resolve it either.
I must say that this guitar has only been strung up for 2 weeks. It might be drying out in the house. I might try humidifying and letting it settle in a little longer.
I am inclined to take the strings off and re-level the frets but maybe I should wait a little longer.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I fiddled around with it briefly this afternoon. I was really hoping to find a sprung fret end but they all seem to be tight to the fretboard.
I found that the slight buzz starts at the 6th fret, disappears at the 8th, reappears at the 13 and disappears at the 15.
I tried leveling the upper frets above the body- very gently. It didn’t change anything and the buzz is also on the B string. I tried a temporary shim on top of the saddle. It didn’t resolve it either.
I must say that this guitar has only been strung up for 2 weeks. It might be drying out in the house. I might try humidifying and letting it settle in a little longer.
I am inclined to take the strings off and re-level the frets but maybe I should wait a little longer.
Fret boards expand and contract. This is something that rarely gets talked about. If it's a newer instrument and the board is compressing or expanding, that could be a possible source of the issue. Seems odd that it would be at one string only but, being the high E would make the most sense I suppose.

If you don't know the RH inside your home that's an issue right there. Many basic acoustic guitar issues can be discovered or avoided by monitoring the humidity.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
My Dean had a high 6th fret which caused the 4th and 5th to go dead on especially on my hi e and needed to file it.Is the 7th fret buzzing along with 6th? If so the 8th might be high. You probably have a high 16th fret. It appears that the 8th,13th and 16th are the offending frets. Try lowering those.

Last edited by guitar344; 02-05-2024 at 09:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair