The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Default Thinking of getting a Flamenco guitar,need advce

I played electric guitar about 10 years and about a year ago sold the electric
and went all acoustic.for the last 8 months or so ago,i joined a pay online
music lessons website,Been taking lessons in acoustic blues and really learned alot,about 3 months ago i started taking some of thier Spanish/Falmenco
lessons and fell in love playing that style of music.My guitar is a 1983 Guild D35
and i use it to play everything on.Playing flamenco on the Guild is kinda tough
on my fingers.I dont have alot of money to spend on a Flamenco guitar,so
is their a descent Flamenco/Spanish guitar for around $300 that would make
me a good guitar?Acoustic blues is my main style of playing but am really
getting into the Flamenco style also.Should i just keep playing it on my old
Guild or should i find a cheap Flamenco guitar if there is one?I have never played
a nylon string guitar before.I have found that Yamaha makes a Flamenco
guitar for just a little over $300,what do you all think of this guitar?I use to
own a Yamaha FG730s guitar and it was great.Looking for any and all advice.
Cheers,
James
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Look around and try to find a Yamaha CG171SF, its the best flamenco guitar for the price. Period.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:48 PM

I also love my CG172SF for flamenco -- and I played nothing close for that price either...
Cordoba C5
Yamaha CG172FS
Washburn Rover
Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 PM

The Cordoba C3M blows the Yamaha away. I just did a side by side comparison at GC of about six Classicals in that price range and the C3M was the hands down winner and it's only 199.00. It sounded better than my $700 GK model. The action is incredible and the sound was amazing. It sounded like a $1,000 guitar.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Cool

james

i totally understand whats going on with you-sounds like you've been bitten with the Flamenco bug-yea for you, you may never be the same...........
i have no proof of this obviously, but in my study and readings of the beginnings of what we consider the Blues in the deep south, i do believe the early Blues icons were influenced with travelling musicians of the spanish(gypsy) style. i have read accounts where some of the early players had opportunity to watch these troups and musicians and that may be where a lot of the fingerstyle movement and style evolved, especially the right hand movements. Old Flamenco differs largely compared to what we "now" see as Flamenco. what i have observed in the older Flamenco styles was much less technical and less evolved right hand movement than what it has all become today. i think the big turning point in technique came thru this man:
http://www.flamenco-world.com/magazi...or23042008.htm

i advise spending time here:

http://www.oldschoolflamenco.com/

http://www.foroflamenco.com/

join the sites, it may take a few days but well worth it. these folks live, breath and play Flamenco. loads of excellent advice and learning material there as well. lots of folks there will likewise agree on the Yamaha CG171SF (note the ending letter stands for Flamenco-i believe Yamaha makes a CG171 classical as well, they will sound somewhat different due to the way they are set up).

Here is a recent thread for your enjoyment:
http://www.foroflamenco.com/tm.asp?m...mode=1&smode=1

something to think about is this. attempt to find a model dedicated for Flamenco rather than classical and it "should" serve you better. Yes you can play Flamenco on a classical, but if the classical is setup right you will have too much sustain and the string height will be much higher than desired for Flamenco. Flamenco guitars tend to have less sustain and much lower string height than a classical, you will get a little buzz at times and its actually desired-there are ways we use that to influence the tone of the music. there are more things different in the way a classical and Flamenco guitar differ, but that is for another time. go to the foro and you will learn what you need to know.

Enjoy your trip-it will never end and will always be on the soul side.
Oh yea..............hang on tight!

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 05-06-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM

Default Flamenco Site

I have a Flamenco site where I've made my instructional material available for download at no cost.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

If possible, play the guitars that you are interested-in as that's always the best way to find what sounds/works best for you.

I've found that the narrower-necked crossovers work best for me. I have small hands. They are not true flamenco guitars... but I prefer that smaller neck, as well as the fact that most have radiused fingerboards. I've been able to get the action quite a bit lower than on my standard classicals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical