The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Default Microphone, Stand, and Amplifier...Tossing Ideas agains the wall

As I've been preparing to hit the stage again after many years away, I'm hoping for feedback on my potential choices of equipment. I haven't ordered anything yet, so fire away.

Microphone: OK, I've pretty much settled on the Shure SM58, which was also my microphone back in the day...and the choice of all my band mates, too. (I'll likely get one with the on/off switch as I have in the past. I know it's not always preferred, but I've always felt more comfortable with one.)

Moving on...

Stand: I've used cheap boom stands (I prefer booms over goosenecks) in the past with predictable results. I'm thinking the K&M stand with the telescoping boom arm would work nicely.

Amplifier: I'm really dithering between the Carvin AG200 (to which I'm leaning) and one of the Fishman Loudbox amps. Most likely the 120 Watt Bi-Amp. I've heard great reviews for both, but I've seen some used Fishmans that were so worn and tattered that I can't help thinking that if the manufacturer couldn't address this simple issue with the covering...I know, they're still good amps, but it still bothers me.

So...Good choices, ya think?

I can handle well-meant critical advice. Sometimes beer and/or cookies help ease the pain, but I can take it.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM

I much prefer a good powered speaker and appropriately sized passive mixer with FX over an acoustic amp. Usually sounds better, and is scalable.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:44 AM

K&M is pretty much branch standard these days - and if anything breaks or wears out it is easy to replace that part which isn't the case with many other cheaper brands.

As for the SM58: it's hard to go wrong with that mic but ask yourself what you actually need and in which situations you are likely to be in. If you are like me and prefer a monitor off to one side then a mic with a supercardiod pickup response is better, like the Beta58. What's more, for the same cost more or less a Sennheiser e945 will give you a broader frequency response while still being perfect for vocals. They sound great on live recordings too!

Don't have much to say about your choose of amplification I'm afraid - I always go through a mixer to powered speakers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Well, the main thing to remember is that your sound is generally what folks will "judge you" on... so I wouldn't go for the "cheap" route, unless you absolutely have to...

The game has changed, so far as amplifying voice and guitar (I assume you will be singing through the "amp" along with playing, yes?)...

I've been performing in small to medium venues for most of my life (and I'm OLD!), and to me, the absolute BEST system I've ever played and sang through is my Bose L1 Model II. I really think that, for a solo acoustic guitar and voice, that's about as good as it gets, for a variety of reasons.

There are a number of companies putting out some version of the Bose rigs, and many of them are 1/2 or 1/3 the cost of the Bose... but I don't know that they come close to sounding as good...

For small gigs, I use an AER Compact 60... a pricey German amp that sounds phenomenal and puts out more high-quality sound than one would believe possible from something that small... a lot of folks really love the Fishman Loudbox and Loudbox Mini; I've heard them when a friend used one while sitting in with me, and it sounded pretty good.

I switched from a Shure SM58 to a Shure Beta 58A about 20 years ago... tried them both through a good system and found the Beta to be superior... and not a lot more than an SM 58... (an off-on switch?! Never saw one on an SM58, although I had them on my old 60's high-impedance Shures...)

Mic stands? Funny... I still have the very FIRST stand I ever bought, back in 1969; just a straight pole stand with a medium sized base... I used to use goosenecks with it to hold the mic for my guitar and voice. Nowadays, boom stands can be had very inexpensively, and I've had a few... but there's a lot of plastic parts that "give out" easily...

After over 45 years of performing and buying equipment to assist with that, my mantra has become, "BUY ONCE!"... meaning, get what you REALLY want, what sounds the best to you for your needs... and then you can stay out of the "What If?/ Maybe..." loop and go on about the business of playing and singing...

Take the time to hit a few stores (with YOUR guitar) and check out some of what's available IN PERSON, not through cheesy sound clips of Mp3 files on the internet. It's a sizeable investment, no matter which way you go, and deserves an audition, to my way of thinking, anyway...

As a performer, what I REALLY want is something that sounds good, night after night... that performs the way I want without issues. I can not speak to the durability or quality of Carvin gear, although I have long known of the company (more for guitars and parts).

Good luck! Let us know what you get...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-18-2017, 12:50 PM

I'll comment on one tiny part... your mic stand. I have two favorites:

1) Atlas Sound TB3664 Tripod Stand
2) DR Pro Tripod Mic Stand

Both are better than my K&M's.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Definitely choose wisely. Take your time to hit a few stores with your own guitar and cables, and check out all the gear that's available. If possible, take some friend with you, so he can tell you how all sounded.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

The old SM58 has been around forever for a reason, it's just a good solid mic that doesn't tear up and sounds reasonably good. That being said I bought a Sennheiser e835 (same price as the SM58) over a year ago and found it to be just as dependable and it sounds considerably better. All of my friends who have used it also agree, and we've all been SM58 users since the 80's.

With amps, it's hard to beat the Fishman line, they just sound good for what they are and you can run a line out to a mixer or powered speaker if you need to cover more room. I just bought a Fender Acoustic 100 and I'm really enjoying using it. Started out just using it for small gigs and then decided to use it for everything and just DI out to the mixer for anything bigger than 50-75 people. That way I can do my own mixing onstage and use the amp as my monitor. Works great. My gigging partner is doing the same thing with his Acoustisonic 90.

Mic stands? eh, they're cheap just pick out one you like and go with it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-18-2017, 02:26 PM

Can't really go wrong with your choices. You're going to get a lot of different answers but I think you have a good starting (and possibly ending) point.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:01 PM

I don't mind a lot of different answers, I anticipated that.

Since I'm not pressed for time, it's all good food for thought...and appreciated.

I'm taking notes.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:29 PM

The Sennheiser 935 is worth the extra cash - still very affordable.

My mic stands now tend to be light ones although I loved Hercules guitar stands.

The AER Compact is indeed superb as both a vocal and guitar speaker in a small space of a monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM

I am another 45 yr. player. I would suggest small and working up . Your mic and stand are fine choices, but microphones have improved alot. I keep a beta 58 as a back up to my Heil pr35 or beta 87. If I'm singing, I want the best.

I use a loudbox mini, its a solid performer and loud, then I can add a powered speaker to it for more volume. I have a mixer and have two powered speakers if I ever need more.

I also have a Bose L1c for the occasional wedding.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

I have an awesome guitar and vocal amp in the For Sale section of this forum. Its the Fishman SA220. Its in great condition and was designed to bring the highest quality system for gigging. Has two channels with combo XLR and 1/4inch inputs. Has on board adjustable reverb, has feedback suppression for both channels separately, has plenty of clarity, depth and volume for small to medium gigs. I have used it on the pole that comes with it as well as sitting it on a table sideways, on the ground or lying on top of my truck while doing a gig.
Let me know if interested.

Doug aka Hotroad
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-18-2017, 06:36 PM

There is always a bit of the old.. buy once thing... going on. We've all made those mistakes. Amp? Hmm, I have one, but in almost all situations a powered speaker is better and scaleable if more than one needed/wanted.

Budget, I use K10's, but Yam DBR's are good and cheaper. Small mixer, go at least 4 mic inputs, Zed 10FX or similar, I have a Soundcraft MFXi8. I have no experience with the newer digital jobbies QSC, Mackie, Behringer, but reading here they may work for you.

Mics? Very subjective, the old 58 is a 'classic' in that muso old school/conservative/ just works thing. Lots of people use them. I went Sen E835 as someone else suggested, cleaner and smoother, but not wildly better. A bit more money the 935/945 (diff patterns) might be a better go. Plenty of other choices, try if you can. My main gig mic is an ATM710.

Stands? Yep K&M booms for me. I did try a lighter one once for my busking rig, lasted 4 months. does not have to be K&M, there are others equal quality, just what I know.

The line array style, Fishman SA, Bose etc, I like them but budget and moveablity/scaleability the separate stick/speaker combo works better for me.

Work out what you think you need and go a little higher. Solo? Duo? Ensemble? Spaces? Money???!! Good luck.

Kris
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 PM

A good mic stand is worth paying a little extra. I now use DR Pro and love them. Just watch people don't try to steal yours.

I'll second the vote for the Sennheiser E935. My wife and I both use them. Excellent mic. Does a great job of rejecting feedback and the handling noise, not that that usually matters since it's in the stand most of the time, is minimal.

I usually plug into a small mixer and run through powered speakers, so I've got no advice to offer on amps. I do like the way my vocals and guitar sound through biamped powered 12" pa speakers and a decent mixer.

Happy gear buying.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
A good mic stand is worth paying a little extra. I now use DR Pro and love them. Just watch people don't try to steal yours.
My occupation is a professional martial arts instructor.* (One of the other reasons I stopped performing...The hours weren't compatible.) I teach the teachers. Generally speaking, I consider myself a somewhat mellow, harmless little fuzzball, but If I caught someone stealing my stuff, things could get...interesting.

I hate thieves.

Since there seems to be a lot of love for powered speaker/mixer systems, I'd be happy to hear some more specific recommendations.

Quote:
Happy gear buying.
That's the plan.

*It's funny. I have no fear of public speaking, teaching, training and competing (both winning and losing), but I find the whole prospect of solo performing all by my lonesome, just me and my gee-tar, somewhat daunting.

A tip of the hat to you guys and gals who do this all the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification