The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Awesome!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Guest 1478

Gorgeous! A nice mix of shades & colours.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:19 PM

I am not too good with picking color, but I am seeing something in earth tones. Love the wood. I am sure you guys will find something that brings it out.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-22-2017, 06:05 AM

Splendid veneer! I propose amber weave for this.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

I ordered a Woody the other day too. After I saw the veneer video, I picked a veneer off the video at the 6:20 mark. Short scale, 11/16 nut and a bit less wide neck at body. Probably thinner profile neck (we're still discussing) and the Anthem.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Splendid veneer! I propose amber weave for this.
Thank you! I think it will look great. Amber is what Sean is thinking too, although I like it, I am not a big fan of yellow and in pictures it looks a little too yellow to me, maybe not in person, but I was thinking either just black or something more in the brown family...like mentioned above, earth tones...
Old 05-22-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I ordered a Woody the other day too. After I saw the veneer video, I picked a veneer off the video at the 6:20 mark. Short scale, 11/16 nut and a bit less wide neck at body. Probably thinner profile neck (we're still discussing) and the Anthem.
Congrats! I think I may ask for a little thinner neck after hearing some complain about the necks being a little on the thicker side.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Thank you! I think it will look great. Amber is what Sean is thinking too, although I like it, I am not a big fan of yellow and in pictures it looks a little too yellow to me, maybe not in person, but I was thinking either just black or something more in the brown family...like mentioned above, earth tones...
Tom,

Fwiw, my Chimaera has the amber weave and it is definitely not yellow. Although the colored CF weaves are more subdued/darker in reality compared to photos under ideal lighting, if anything, the amber is more orange...but amber is accurate. Although I love the look of the carbon weave, it didn't matter to me as much on the b&s, so I opted for and still prefer gloss solid black on the b&s of my Chimaera.

Now, I have a new coco woody 6/12 Chimaera on order and have to say that although I quite like the look of both the black and amber CF weaves with the woody tops we've all seen posted, I don't like it as much as I still prefer the gloss solid black look with wood.

I guess I'm just a little less enthused about the look of CF weave and wood together. But this is just me. I'm just throwing it out there to give you another perspective as you ponder the final aspects of your build. Hope it helps, good luck, and enjoy the anticipation of the wait.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:38 PM

Tom,

It is definitely not yellow, the amber is rich and deep and I love mine.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Tom,

Fwiw, my Chimaera has the amber weave and it is definitely not yellow. Although the colored CF weaves are more subdued/darker in reality compared to photos under ideal lighting, if anything, the amber is more orange...but amber is accurate. Although I love the look of the carbon weave, it didn't matter to me as much on the b&s, so I opted for and still prefer gloss solid black on the b&s of my Chimaera.

Now, I have a new coco woody 6/12 Chimaera on order and have to say that although I quite like the look of both the black and amber CF weaves with the woody tops we've all seen posted, I don't like it as much as I still prefer the gloss solid black look with wood.

I guess I'm just a little less enthused about the look of CF weave and wood together. But this is just me. I'm just throwing it out there to give you another perspective as you ponder the final aspects of your build. Hope it helps, good luck, and enjoy the anticipation of the wait.
Thank you for taking the time to post this, yes it does help a lot. I have very little experience with the brand so I am learning as we go...I will definitely ask Sean about this as we get to that point...he is going to contact me at that time for a final decision. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Tom,

It is definitely not yellow, the amber is rich and deep and I love mine.
Thank you, I had a feeling it looked different in person that the in the photos...rich and deep sounds good. Something to go with the darker wood top....
Old 05-22-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Congrats! I think I may ask for a little thinner neck after hearing some complain about the necks being a little on the thicker side.
I ordered my X7 to have two custom mod's: a regular (24.9") short scale and a thin (Ryan-style) neck shape and thickness. Very easy to order, just reach out if that's your preference. Currently mine is a month late being completed, hopefully that's just staffing issues, etc. and not challenges in creating the neck. I'm so hopeful the Emerald custom shop model is what it appears - ready ability to build a carbon fiber guitar to suit a players' preferences.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 05-22-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I ordered my X7 to have two custom mod's: a regular (24.9") short scale and a thin (Ryan-style) neck shape and thickness. Very easy to order, just reach out if that's your preference. Currently mine is a month late being completed, hopefully that's just staffing issues, etc. and not challenges in creating the neck. I'm so hopeful the Emerald custom shop model is what it appears - ready ability to build a carbon fiber guitar to suit a players' preferences.
Thank you, I believe I will ask for a thinner neck, never played a Ryan so am not sure there, but I have an Osthof with a nice thin neck and is very comfortable....
Old 05-22-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Definitely not yellow. My existing T8 Opus Amber is not yellow.

I think the amber gives a great but not overly contrast to the pau ferro. But I have to admit pau ferro is tricky - nice as it is, it is also neither dark or light, matching it with a suitable CF weave will not be easy. Full painted black with crystal ice may be a better option.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
Definitely not yellow. My existing T8 Opus Amber is not yellow.

I think the amber gives a great but not overly contrast to the pau ferro. But I have to admit pau ferro is tricky - nice as it is, it is also neither dark or light, matching it with a suitable CF weave will not be easy. Full painted black with crystal ice may be a better option.
Thank you Jimmy....I am leaning towards black unless Sean hits me with some cool idea I (we) have not thought of yet. I was thinking gloss black though...
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The neck is pretty good the way it is, but it does feel "bigger". I got used to it pretty easily, but, if I get my choice, I think I prefer it a bit thinner.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber