The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-06-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Yeah, I've never bought a brand new guitar so not advocating that or strongly inclined to start now. That said, not out of the question for something like a Fender American Standard that's being closed out at reasonable prices new. Reasons would include (I) specific specs (pickup configuration, thin line etc) or even color I couldn't find used locally, and (II) much easier return process if needed. Assuming no dud/QC issues, I currently like lots of different electrics I've tested so far and think I'll like whatever I get even more as I own it for a few weeks, but possible I could realize something doesnt work for me only be owning/playing at home for a bit.

Im certainly not expecting to profit off of any guitar in this range. Holding value/smart purchase is definitely a consideration, dont want to to lose 50% right off the lot that I could've avoided buying essentially the same thing that's available used. But if I find something specific I think I'll love and can't find it locally in great condition used, I'd be fine if I sold it in 5 years and 'rented' it for maybe $50/year.

On another note, any thoughts on the PRS S2 (or earlier) intermediate line, including specific models? I played a PRS SE Santana and was pleasantly surprised. Pretty sure I'll buy a US built guitar so the S2 line is intriguing. Should be able to find some to play locally but at first glance will take more effort in my area finding specific models than either the higher end or low end PRS lines. Also, it seems that most people think PRS quality control/consistency is better than Fender or Gibson but open to thoughts as,depending on the model etc., possible I find something new that I like but save a lot buying online used or otherwise.
QC on the PRS models, domestic and foreign-made, has been consistently good for years. My first semi-expensive guitar was a PRS CE 22, and I kick myself regularly for ever parting with it. I haven't played an S2, but would look closely at them if I was in the market for a PRS. You will find LOTS of PRS SE models on Craigslist if you just take a few weeks and look for them every day.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 12:29 AM

Mexican Strat.

Solved.

You like Gilmour? That's Gilmour on a budget. But more to the point, the Strat is the most versatile guitar, it does it all, its what many pro session musicians take to all gigs. No matter what they ask for, from country to rock to jazz, the Strat can cover it.

The US strats are better, why? The pickups are better. So you get a Mexican Strat and add nicer pickups later. BUT< most of us find the pickups on the Mexican are pretty good as they are. I use the HSS setup, so I can get more dirt on my rock sound.

If you can afford it, get a US strat. If not, you will be happy with a Mexican for a long time.

The Mexican teles, meh, okay, but ...the pickups just are not that good.

Squires...yech.

Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 AM

I'd try a tele and a Strat........depending on your budget - the American Professional Series are outstanding instruments
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Mexican Strat.

Solved.

You like Gilmour? That's Gilmour on a budget. But more to the point, the Strat is the most versatile guitar, it does it all, its what many pro session musicians take to all gigs. No matter what they ask for, from country to rock to jazz, the Strat can cover it.

The US strats are better, why? The pickups are better. So you get a Mexican Strat and add nicer pickups later. BUT< most of us find the pickups on the Mexican are pretty good as they are. I use the HSS setup, so I can get more dirt on my rock sound.

If you can afford it, get a US strat. If not, you will be happy with a Mexican for a long time.

The Mexican teles, meh, okay, but ...the pickups just are not that good.

Squires...yech.

Enjoy!
Thems fighting works for Tele fans. Indeed, you'll find Telecasters are used far more in country & jazz than Strats.

As for Squiers (NOT "Squires", which is a Knight's sidekick), "yech" is a false generalization.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
But more to the point, the Strat is the most versatile guitar, it does it all, its what many pro session musicians take to all gigs. No matter what they ask for, from country to rock to jazz, the Strat can cover it.
Thanks, I'm leaning Strat but will likely be thrilled with any number of options. A Strat certainly covers more ground than a Tele, but on the other hand doesn't seem like it even covers the same ground as even the more basic Tele (which would make sense if you're Fender and in the business of selling different guitars).

For example, a standard Strat with a 5 position pickup selector doesn't allow for bridge + neck pickup only like the simpler Tele does. Modding/rewiring aside, do the Strat models with the S1 selector come close to approximating the Tele sound of neck + bridge if the have the same pickups? Or is the difference in bridge and mounting of the bridge pickup or other differences still going to result in very different sounds from this selection? From limited testing, the Tele's bridge+neck pickup sound might be as appealing to me as the some of the classic bridge pickup tones more commonly associated with Teles.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM

I own a Telecaster and a Stratocaster and the reality is, my Stratocaster does country and twang (plus a whole lot more) just as well as my Telecaster if I want it to. (Custom Shop 54 pickup in the bridge position is just as hot as my Telecaster).
Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwayne View Post
Thems fighting works for Tele fans. Indeed, you'll find Telecasters are used far more in country & jazz than Strats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I own a Telecaster and a Stratocaster and the reality is, my Stratocaster does country and twang (plus a whole lot more) just as well as my Telecaster if I want it to. (Custom Shop 54 pickup in the bridge position is just as hot as my Telecaster).
Thanks, I like the bright, cutting country tone many use the Tele for, but I'm more interested in the warmer, mellower tones. Seems like the Strat can do this well even with my limited knowledge about knobs and switches (and of course all sorts of other things), but does seems like many in the broadly jazz or country genres favor a Tele for these tones.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Not disagreeing. I pref the Strat over the Tele myself if for nothing other than ergonomic reasons. But you just don't see country and jazz pros using Strats that often when compared to Teles.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 AM

Esquire.......
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-14-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:

As for Squiers (NOT "Squires", which is a Knight's sidekick), "yech" is a false generalization.
I have both. The Mexican tele pickups are worse than the Mexican Strat pickups is all I am saying. I like playing both but for versatility and ease of play, the Strat wins. I only got the Tele cuz I do a ton of country. And honestly, the Strat, with compressor and short reverb delay does as well as the Tele....

Now, if you get good tele pickups, like you do in the US Tele, now yer talkin something different.

As for Squiers, I had a couple and yeh, yech...unless its fixer upper and then I ask, why bother...a Mexi is the same price and done for you.
Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Best deal currently on a decent electric guitar:
Fender Squire Vintage Modified Baritone Electric Guitar is on sale for $299 at Adorama.
https://www.adorama.com/sq304000585....4&emailprice=t
Old 03-14-2017, 11:47 PM

Fender Baja Telecaster. You're welcome.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Thems fighting works for Tele fans.
But... everything is fighting words to the Tele mafia...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
But... everything is fighting words to the Tele mafia...

Bob
Yeah, like "I want a Tele with a forearm contour."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars