The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-20-2017, 05:55 PM

The biggest tone improvement I made on my 5th Ave. was swapping the plastic bridge out for a rosewood one.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
I know there is some loss of the acoustic sound with the P90 pickup installed, so I could consider buying the all acoustic 5th Ave. and installing an after market floating pick up to preserve the more acoustic sound, or I could just buy the Kingpin be good to go either way and live with the loss of acoustic sound.

I guess I'm wondering if the loss is so minimal that I might as well go with the Kingpin? At age 62 my ears aren't the greatest. I know I would not be in a position to do a personal side by side demo.

What say you?
Although I never noticed the difference in tone, I once went the 5th Ave - aftermarket install route. But the Godin was used and inexpensive, so it was probably more cost effective than to buy a Kingpin. Not to mention the (floating) pickup was of higher quality than the P90 that came from Godin. I also liked the way my guy positioned the pots.

Last edited by upsidedown; 04-15-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:11 PM

My Kingpin covers all the bases from bluesy to ballsy, but it's hampered as an acoustic guitar by the need to use electric guitar strings. Although others have found success with Monels or others, I haven't. String choice might be less difficult if I had an aftermarket piezo pickup. So a stock Kingpin won't replace your acoustic guitar, but it might make your electric guitar nervous.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Nashvillian View Post
My Kingpin covers all the bases from bluesy to ballsy, but it's hampered as an acoustic guitar by the need to use electric guitar strings. Although others have found success with Monels or others, I haven't. String choice might be less difficult if I had an aftermarket piezo pickup. So a stock Kingpin won't replace your acoustic guitar, but it might make your electric guitar nervous.
Your preferred strings, may I ask, for amplified tone??

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Default Take your pick!

Or use your fingers, I don't know. I just don't want you to think of me as any kind of authority. I'm just an unpaid, once- or twice-a-week picker who happens to own a pair of Fifths. Currently, I think I have a cheap set of Martin electric strings on it.

My Kingpin responds well to all the electric guitar strings I've tried. So many factors enter into the tone and response of electric guitars that I doubt string brands or materials are such a key variable. Not like in the realm of acoustics, where the string/body interactions are the final step in sound production.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for chiming in. After all this, I ended up finding a vintage Epiphone Triumph that I really like (of course, no pick up).
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=464991
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM

Obviously, you already bought something. But, I had the chance to play one of these last week, and I am currently lusting. The piezo really does a nice job reproducing the acoustic sound. And, because it is not a magnetic pup, doesn't matter what kind of strings you put on it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofamerica View Post
Obviously, you already bought something. But, I had the chance to play one of these last week, and I am currently lusting. The piezo really does a nice job reproducing the acoustic sound. And, because it is not a magnetic pup, doesn't matter what kind of strings you put on it. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Those do look interesting but I decided to go with an old school Triumph which was a budget version of the old school De Luxe!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops