The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM

I consider these Emerald creations to be CF, but that's not what I am asking. I am asking the broader question of what does it take to be considered a guitar (without this special labeling of CF)? Some obviously CF guitars are more accepted than others. This one is not so obviously CF to the casual observer, but yet it is not as accepted as another more obvious creature else the thread wouldn't have been moved.

My answer is that there is a bias in play here. Not sure it matters either way in the long run, but there is evidence of bias and preconceptions that these are somehow second class guitars.

To take Captain Jim's spiel a little further. I do not consider myself just a CF guitar player. Rather I am a musician (of varying ability depending on what instrument is in my hands) who happens to play many instruments including guitars made out of different materials some of which happen to be CF. I would probably be just as happy with a cigar box guitar if it sounded good enough and was as playable, robust and comfortable my X20. So far the X20 (red opus in my case) is the best guitar (actually best stringed instrument) I have found for me given all the factors that are important to me in the playing of stringed instruments.

Enjoy the hell out of your guitar and live large.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
This one is not so obviously CF to the casual observer, but yet it is not as accepted as another more obvious creature else the thread wouldn't have been moved.
Ah, now I understand what you were talking about. I hadn't realized that the thread had been moved from the General Forum to Carbon Fiber.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:29 PM

Yes, the thread was moved but I was given the choice of where to. It could have stayed in General but I chose CF. I agree, a guitar is a guitar and this one is only able to withstand the dry high desert here and the humidity where I travel during winter(I play on cruise ships all winter). So my wooden guitars take a lot of care all year. I will enjoy the freedom this one gives me. And its sounding and playing as good as any other top notch guitar. Great set up, great tone, great fun.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Most excellent... you done real good like.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber