The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 PM

Default NPAD Carvin StageMate S600

I have a new compact PA system coming in a week or so. I ordered a Carvin StageMate S600B system from Carvin's eBay store for 20% off. I really love my Line 6 L2t, but I need to bring a sub mixer when I want to add a few extra mics or instruments to the mix. The extra stuff was not convenient in a pinch. However, I was willing to do it because the acoustic modeling in the Line 6 product was great.

Now that I am using the TC Play Acoustic system, my processing for vocals and guitar are done in the pedal. So, using the all-in-one (6 channel compact PA) is very convenient and it includes effects for the other inputs. At 15 lbs lighter than the Line 6, it is more portable.

The other options I was considering were either 2x-4x the cost, or more limited.

1. Bose L1 - great system with the T1 mixer. Only downside is cost.
2. JBL Eon One - Sounded good, but the mixer was limited.
3. Shertler Jam - Nice system, but no line array.
4. TurboSound - Reviews are good, but mixer required.
5. Harbinger Line Array - Looks promising, but the mixer is limited.
6. New Fishman SA330x - Great but expensive with req'd accessories.

I can add expansion cabinets if I need more power and coverage. Moreover, I can still use my L2t as an expansion speaker or monitor, if needed.

Most performances we have will have less than 75 people. I probably won't be doing bar gigs. Mostly listening rooms. And, I can use it at farmer's market gigs this summer on the battery, or AC power.

I'm excited to try it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-09-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:29 AM

Congrats Martingitdave! I hope you love it. I have been looking at one also since I like it for all the same reasons and the battery adds to all that.

I have one question. What is a listening room? Also, where in the Chicago area could I go "listen"? I am there on business about 2-3 times per year.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Default NPAD Carvin StageMate S600 (Coming next week)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Congrats Martingitdave! I hope you love it. I have been looking at one also since I like it for all the same reasons and the battery adds to all that.

I have one question. What is a listening room? Also, where in the Chicago area could I go "listen"? I am there on business about 2-3 times per year.

Thanks Marty. A listening room is any performance where the audience is expected to be quiet. Our folk club has weekly events on Sundays. We are moving to a smaller venue and our full PA system might be overkill. I'm also looking at doing other events, and rehearsals, with this Carvin system.

Let me know when you're in town and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction, or have you join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-15-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 PM

I could easily have missed it but I have yet to see a full
review of the S600 by someone doing multiple gigs with it.

Dave, I'm hoping you will keep us informed with as to
what it's like to do real gigs with, how you get along with it
longer term, and what qualities emerge longer term.

Thanks! _Roger
Old 01-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Is the 600 B the only model with Battery Power????

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 PM

I think they are only offering it with battery power. It's the same unit, regardless. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Looking forward to receiving it.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 PM

A bit OT, but since you are in Chicago ... go see Robbie Fulks.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Just received the Carvin S600 at the office. The packaging from Carvin is excellent. It looks like it could survive a major calamity. I didn't know what to expect in terms of actual size of the unit. So, my initial impressions are "wow this is small and light!" It feels as portable as my old Fishman Loudbox mini, with a whole lot more in terms of features, speaker performance, power, and channels! I can see why folks might want to buy two (or the extension cabs) at this price. It is much lighter than the Line 6 L2t. Can't wait to fire it up tonight.

Oddly enough, I'm focused on electric guitar for the next few weeks while I get ready for an upcoming performance. My Line 6 "dream rig" is a better choice for that because I can run my Variax/Firehawk combo into channel 2 and my TC Play Acoustic with acoustic and mic into channel one, and use it as my stage monitor, before going to the house.

I should have a chance in a few weeks to use this new Carvin system with a other players.

Last edited by martingitdave; 01-20-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:38 PM

I can't wait to hear about it. :-) _Roger
Old 01-21-2017, 08:48 AM

I don't have too much to post yet. And, alas, no pictures yet. However, I did setup the S600 last night to test it out. So, keep in mind, this is NOT a report from a gig setting.

I have a K&K mini with the K&K internal preamp in my Martin, which was the guinea pig for this little adventure. I tested the system under two conditions. 1. With the guitar straight in using only Channel 1 on the onboard mixer (and effects) with the 1/4" jack with and without the HighZ switch enabled. 2. Through the TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal XLR DI into channel 2 with the EQ flat and no effects.

I expected the amp controls to sound good, but I expected the TC Helicon Play Acoustic to sound better. Um... much to my surprise, and chagrin, the S600 sounded better and more musical by itself. I needed to do a mid cut (9 o'clock) and small bass and treble boost (1 o'clock), and added a touch of the onboard Chorus/Verb option. It sounded good! Then, I tried to figure out what goofy settings were making the TC sound strange. Evidently, the preamps in the Line 6 I was using to amplify the TC are voiced very differently than the S600. So, I edited the tones in the TC and, again, it sounded really good. The take-away is this: I would feel comfortable going straight into the S600, or the Line 6 for guitar. I prefer the TC unit for vocal processing, but my pickup is evidently good enough on its own. The really super side benefit is that the S600 runs on battery. So, if I'm playing a farmer's market this summer without power, I can go straight in and still have great tone. No need to worry about "having" to take extra stuff to sound good.

Other general observations:

1. The bass response on this thing is more than enough for any acoustic performance. You might want a sub for a bass player - possibly. But, I think even a keyboard and moderate volume could sound good through it, if playing with an acoustic group.

2. Line array "beam forming" works. I have a very long full basement - about 50 feet long room. I was able to hear the sound crystal clear from the back of the room at low volume. Granted, this is just an initial test, and doesn't represent real world use. If you play a wine bars, or softer social settings, this could be great alternative to a more expensive Bose L1 system, in that regard. Sounds nice for break music too.

3. The box is built really well. Sturdy and super light! 27 lbs.

4. Battery is awesome. I never thought I would need or care about battery power. But, it's invisible to the operation of the unit, so "why not?"

5. The system is expandable and you can build an impressive PA for a little more than the price of the Bose L1 compact.

6. Made in the USA.

7. One minor complaint is related to the knobs. Because they packed so many controls onto the back of this compact puppy, the knobs are a bit small and close together. Some folks who like the Carvin AGs suggest using a little USB goose neck light. I can see that being useful. If you have Frankenstein fingers, you might struggle a wee bit You can't have everything!

8. I think if more folks tried these things, they would be hot sellers.

9. Carvin might sell a lot more of these units, and the AG300 or AG200, if they changed their marketing and aesthetic design approach. They could make more professional promotion videos of the units in use with more musicians. And, the aesthetics of the controls and cabinets on some of their gear "looks" outdated. Real professionals probably don't care about that stuff, but the general public does. If they borrowed a little design aesthetic from Bose, Line 6 and JBL and got a few famous pros to play them, they'd probably sell more. Why? Because they sound great. Carvin should consider sending one of these to Tommy Emmanuel or Doug Young. And they could send a few demos to Fretboard Journal, Acoustic Guitar magazine, etc to get in the magazine or videos.

I'll keep this updated as I use it.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-06-2017 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 01-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Cool, thanks for the report. I totally agree about Carvin's marketing. It seems cheesy and dated. The website looks terrible. Enjoy your new toy!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The really super side benefit is that the S600 runs on battery.

Carvin might sell a lot more of these units, and the AG300 or AG200, if they changed their marketing and aesthetic design approach.
Unfortunately you are correct. in the 1980's & 1990's I remember going to the Carvin store here in Los Angeles near the Sunset Guitar Center & they just felt a few steps behind. Perception is reality & the perception has always been Carvin makes good not great gear...

I was locked up in prison 10 years ago & had no guitar. A volunteer brought a Carvin Acoustic Electric they bought from the same store so we could have a guitar for worship. Man I was so impressed with that guitar, it was everything I was missing behind the walls. Now, was it just I was comparing it to the Nylon string guitars strung with steel strings I had been playing before? Maybe........Didn't make me no nevermind as it served a purpose in my life and made me feel like a human again while playing it....

I may just buy one of these units because I'm thankful for that guitar & it's pacifying effect on me at a low point in my life.

Then again, the battery power is what I can use to justify the purchase to the wifey................

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 01-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Unfortunately you are correct. in the 1980's & 1990's I remember going to the Carvin store here in Los Angeles near the Sunset Guitar Center & they just felt a few steps behind. Perception is reality & the perception has always been Carvin makes good not great gear...

I was locked up in prison 10 years ago & had no guitar. A volunteer brought a Carvin Acoustic Electric they bought from the same store so we could have a guitar for worship. Man I was so impressed with that guitar, it was everything I was missing behind the walls. Now, was it just I was comparing it to the Nylon string guitars strung with steel strings I had been playing before? Maybe........Didn't make me no nevermind as it served a purpose in my life and made me feel like a human again while playing it....

I may just buy one of these units because I'm thankful for that guitar & it's pacifying effect on me at a low point in my life.

Then again, the battery power is what I can use to justify the purchase to the wifey................
Thanks for sharing that experience.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:45 AM

Thanks for your review. I am really interested in this PA. Any more updates? How about sound quality on accoustic? Plugged in and mic'd. Thanks.

Edit; they must be a hit cause Carvin is out of stock and I can't find it anywhere on this side of the pond. Or the other sides of the pond for that matter. Must be good.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Thanks for your review. I am really interested in this PA. Any more updates? How about sound quality on accoustic? Plugged in and mic'd. Thanks.

Edit; they must be a hit cause Carvin is out of stock and I can't find it anywhere on this side of the pond. Or the other sides of the pond for that matter. Must be good.

Huh. That's odd. I wonder if they sold out, or if they're discontinuing? I hope it's the former. It's a great unit. Maybe my reviews set sales on fire? ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification