The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 PM

Default Any Opinions on the Fishman Aura with a Yamaha Silent Guitar?

I want to get the Yamaha SLG130NW for silent recording at night and I don't mind the tones I've heard on youtube from it, but there is a noticeable quack in most clips that I'd like to tame. I am really hoping the Aura Spectrum would help with that but am concerned the "imaging" wouldn't do anything for a guitar that has no real body.. as according to the description, that is not exactly what it's designed for.

Aura users, what are your thoughts? Yamaha users, what solutions have you used to reduce "quack" when recording?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 AM

Never tried an Aura but I use a Radial PZ-Deluxe with my SG...it has a switchable gain stage that increases the input impedance to tame the squawk (and it works).

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the input Phil. I will definitely consider that unit if I can't get my hands on an Aura Spectrum! do you have any clips of your playing with that unit?
Old 08-20-2014, 07:30 PM

I was never impressed with the aura spectrum and the nylon settings. I tried it both with a traditional classic with UST and a solid body. It gave me some tonal variation, but didn't change the basic guitar sound. So if there is something about the basic guitar sound you don't like, then I wouldn't count on the Aura to change it.

Having said that, I also have an SG110N Yamaha Silent Guitar and really like it. I don't find it quacky like a lot of the UST guitars, and mine has the Baggs ribbon pickup that to me gives it acceptable tone and balance. But I'll also say that I went through three of them before I got one with good balance across the strings. The first one was dead across strings 4-6. The second one's neck went out of spec for relief and it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod. So be sure to work with a dealer you can work with.

I use it for practice, as intended. For "performance" I stick with my Godin's or my Chet Atkins CE.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 PM

****.. And here I was thinking that I could order one online and it wouldn't be a dud because there is hardly any wood to begin with..

The bags ribbon is the stock pickup on the steel string version yes? Is that made for steel string primarily? Curious how that works out..

Thanks a bunch for the details. I will try and find one to try out first.. And buy the aura to try out and return if it doesn't work for me.. I'm sure there are other ways to make the Yamaha slg recorded tone sound great even if it involves a pickup swap?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 PM

I've used an Aura pedal with my Silent Nylon-String, and the results were pretty impressive. I've never gigged with it that way, but I've used it to record some demos, and the sound was quite good for a direct signal; definitely more natural sounding than the Yamaha's straight pickup signal.

Teja Gerken
www.tejagerken.com
www.pegheadnation.com
Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Awesome glad to hear it! Can I hear your samples by any chance? Pm me!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer138 View Post
Awesome glad to hear it! Can I hear your samples by any chance? Pm me!
Unfortunately, the stuff I used this setup for was total demo material, so nothing that I still have or that's been released somehow. I probably wouldn't use it to record serious solo guitar, though I could see recording something in an ensemble context with the Silent Nylon and the Aura.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:36 PM

Well that is good enough to know. I am mostly composing a sort of relaxing orchestral type music. T
It doesn't need to be classical guitar tone necessarily. Just a pleasant nylon string sound. I am more confident in giving the two a shot. Thank you
Old 08-23-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer138 View Post
Well that is good enough to know. I am mostly composing a sort of relaxing orchestral type music. T
It doesn't need to be classical guitar tone necessarily. Just a pleasant nylon string sound. I am more confident in giving the two a shot. Thank you
eager to hear about your experience!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:57 AM

Aura is meant to image a acoustic guitar that matches the body shapes they have. Do they have an image for the silent guitar? Better choice might be Zoom A3, actually has a Silent Guitar type being setting and the you pick acoustic model and effects like reverb and chorus.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 AM

If the store has a zoom I will try them both out. Fishman emailed me back and said the aura should work well with the silent guitar.. Any guitar with a UST pickup really.

Effects really don't matter to me as I will be using plugins for my reverb and chorus if I want it.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 PM

I'm your guy on this. I have the steel string Yamaha Silent Guitar and the Fishman Aura Spectrum. I've read that the Aura favors Fishman under-saddle pups which the Yamaha doesn't have but the device works just fine and gives you access to a myriad of guitar and microphone "images". Since the Aura only effects the input from the under-saddle pups, any guitar with a built-in mike has to sacrifice that signal. I therefore turn the balance between the Yamaha "SRT" system and it's piezo all the way to piezo.

In a way it's good that the guitar is "silent" in that you don't get "competing" sounds between its natural acoustics and the "image" you apply. The Aura is kinda expensive but once you have it it opens a world of possibilities where you might want to trade off buying several acoustics trying to get certain sounds you're after and limit yourself to one or two, like me having the silent guitar and a Martin D-41. Fishman is coming on as a real game changer--both in the acoustic guitar and amp world and the electric guitar world. I have the Fishman "Fluence" system Greg Koch signature "Gristle Tone" set installed in my G&L ASAT (it's made for Fender Telecasters and there are issues in trying to make it work in a G&L. But once I overcame them, my ASAT, according to the professional technician who did the rest of the set-up he said that mine is the best-sounding Telecaster of any kind to come through his regional Guitar Center in years. It has no noise whatsover and gives me every sound in the Fender pantheon. Amazing. That technology will change the thinking in pickup design. Good luck to all.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Why don't you try the new SLG200NW it has onboard SRT Imaging that is equivalent to Aura Imaging?

Link to SLG200NW

You can hear, pickup only, then SRT sound only and then a Mix of the two (jump to 3:52)

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 03-22-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Why don't you try the new SLG200NW it has onboard SRT Imaging that is equivalent to Aura Imaging?

You can hear, pickup only, then SRT sound only and then a Mix of the two (jump to 3:52)

Cuki
I don't think it was out in 2014.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification