The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Single Coil versus Humbucker Sound Hole Pickup

It is easy to recognize a single coil Telecaster sound and a Les Paul Humbucker sound and how they are different. I was wondering if there is any difference in the sound between a single coil and double coil in a sound hole pickup.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:03 AM

A well designed stacked humbucker in a Fender can sound pretty close to a single coil to many players. So I think the answer is, it depends on the design and the listener.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-08-2017, 09:50 AM

The difference comes in both the output as well as the size of the magnetic field. A standard side by side humbuckers -- PAF, etc -- have a broader magnetic field and that's part of their sound, along with the humcancelling. A stacked single coil splits the baby getting more of the single coil sound without the broad magnetic field.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:09 AM

I think the op means how will an acoustic pickup sound different depending on if it is single or dual coil.

For instance, my Baggs M1a is effectively a stacked humbucker and is definitely more single coil flavoured than humbucker. The obvious advantage with acoustic humbuckers is the lack of noise and perhaps more output depending on model.

From what I've experienced, generally single coil acoustic pickups do have more "air" about them than an equivalent humbucker so personal preferences apply here.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63telemaster View Post
I think the op means how will an acoustic pickup sound different depending on if it is single or dual coil.

For instance, my Baggs M1a is effectively a stacked humbucker and is definitely more single coil flavoured than humbucker. The obvious advantage with acoustic humbuckers is the lack of noise and perhaps more output depending on model.

From what I've experienced, generally single coil acoustic pickups do have more "air" about them than an equivalent humbucker so personal preferences apply here.
You are correct. I am referring to an acoustic guitar sound hole pick up. Thanks for the reply.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification