The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 09:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Maybe I could step in without stepping in it.
Jim, if there is any difference in responsiveness in your rosewood OM compared to your hog OM, it's not the wee slivers of spruce reinforcement abutting the X brace. Like you surmise, it would be more the "green-ness" of the newer guitar, and the different species of top wood used. They will always sound different, but it will be quite interesting to compare them with more playing in time. Bring them both with you when you come for a visit.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-16-2016, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
........They will always sound different, but it will be quite interesting to compare them with more playing in time. Bring them both with you when you come for a visit.

Steve
I will do that, Steve! It would be interesting to hear your take on the two OMs once the RW OM opens up a bit more. The hog OM sounds entirely different than it did just a year ago - night and day! It's blossomed into a glorious-sounding instrument!

And, sorry Tom for the sidetrack to your thread.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
I will do that, Steve! It would be interesting to hear your take on the two OMs once the RW OM opens up a bit more. The hog OM sounds entirely different than it did just a year ago - night and day! It's blossomed into a glorious-sounding instrument!

And, sorry Tom for the sidetrack to your thread.
OH are you kidding, sidetrack away... talk about anything you want, I love it that way....

I hate when people get POed because someone may post something slightly off topic, I like open conversation, it always comes back to the guitar at some point anyway. It would be kind of sad to think that all we know is guitars!

In fact I'll start off by saying it was 4 below zero at my house this morning!!! whoop whoop.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

In fact I'll start off by saying it was 4 below zero at my house this morning!!! whoop whoop.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I knew there was a good reason I live in California (other than our high state tax incentives, of course!)!!!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
It would be interesting to hear your take on the two OMs once the RW OM opens up a bit more. The hog OM sounds entirely different than it did just a year ago - night and day! It's blossomed into a glorious-sounding instrument!
Jim,

Though it's always dicey asking someone to compare guitars, I would be interested to know what you think of the responsiveness of your Rosewood OM compared - not to an older Kinnaird - but something that maybe more of the AGF readers have experienced like a Martin, Taylor, etc. I know that's like comparing apple guitars to orange guitars, but if you don't mind. I'm not really asking for a testimonial either- just some basic comparisons if you have any. I know your OM is still only 3 months old or so, but since this is a RW OM thread it might be apropos.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 PM

Very nice work, guys. That's gonna be a wonderful guitar.
Bob
Old 12-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OH are you kidding, sidetrack away... talk about anything you want, I love it that way....
Ok, Tom.....thanks! I'll fire away......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Jim,

Though it's always dicey asking someone to compare guitars, I would be interested to know what you think of the responsiveness of your Rosewood OM compared - not to an older Kinnaird - but something that maybe more of the AGF readers have experienced like a Martin, Taylor, etc. I know that's like comparing apple guitars to orange guitars, but if you don't mind. I'm not really asking for a testimonial either- just some basic comparisons if you have any. I know your OM is still only 3 months old or so, but since this is a RW OM thread it might be apropos.
Gosh, Ryan......that could be difficult for me to respond to, but I'll give it a shot. First off, the RW OM has all the similarities and characteristics to every S. Kinnaird guitar that I've played. If I'm not mistaken, that's about six of your guitars. This guitar just sounds like another Kinnaird...... That in itself speaks very highly of your instruments from my point of view, for all of them nave been quite responsive in their own right. As far as this OM goes, it's quite lively and well-balanced while also responding well to either a light fingerstyle touch or a fairly heavy attack. That's exactly what I was looking for in both OMs. Other than a very few exceptional Martins and Taylors that I've played, this OM holds its own to any of them. But yeah.....it's like comparing apples to oranges. While I still love my two Martin dreads, I use them for entirely different purposes. As you'd also likely expect, the OM's Italian spruce top along with the Panamanian rosewood creates a pretty sweet-sounding guitar with a nice degree of overtones, but not too much.

The deep-body feature is probably worth elaborating on a bit, too, for I tend to believe that it adds a dimension unlike any standard OM that I've ever played. Both of my Kinnaird OMs definitely have some increased low-end that I don't hear in a standard OM, but the beauty of these guitars is that they don't sound overly bassy or boomy, either, unlike one or two other deep-bodied OMs I've played. I would imagine that you pay particular attention in tuning these instruments to avoid this from happening. On the other hand, both of my OMs still maintain a typical OM quality to them - snap, sensitivity, versatility, etc. - all while having some low-end punch added to the mix. Loosely stated, they seem to maintain the OM vibe while touching on a dreadnought vibe as well, if that makes any sense. In addition, both guitars are quite boisterous.....LOL (i.e., quite loud & great tone).

Hopefully that helps a bit.

In weather news, y'all can be thankful you're not in Wisconsin at the moment. We're about to get socked with about 12 inches of snow followed by -15 to -20 degree temps on Sunday night. Brrrrrr. Got an apartment in Nacogdoches I can rent? I'd be happy to work in the shop if necessary......

Last edited by jim_pridx; 12-16-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Wow thanks Jim. That was great. If I was that articulate about guitars, I could go into sales instead of just production. And, we do have an apartment ready and could use the help. Maybe just recording demo pieces!

Old 12-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Wow thanks Jim. That was great. If I was that articulate about guitars, I could go into sales instead of just production. And, we do have an apartment ready and could use the help. Maybe just recording demo pieces!
You're welcome, Ryan! My pleasure! BTW, I might take you up on that apartment.......
Old 12-16-2016, 01:24 PM

I guess my 4 below seems pretty warm to you right about now Jim...being from Mn. and WI. my formative years, ie. the first 45 of them, I know from whence you speak...Upstate NY is much warmer than back home, in fact I joke with people here telling them I moved here for the warm winters. The weathermen and ladies here refer to 10 above as bitter cold...haha.

Now WIND, that is different. We had 20 above yesterday with 45-50 mph winds, that is just brutal...I don't give a hoot what the temp is as long as there is no wind. This AM at 4 below, not a speck of wind, as much as our southern friends would scoff at this, it was quite nice out. I was out for 30 minutes shoveling and was perfectly warm in a light coat, baseball hat, and gloves. You put a 20 mph wind on top of that, forget it!!!! So weatherpeople, tell me what kind of wind we are going to have and not the temp, that is more helpful. I am sure you agree.

Now in terms of bringing those guitars to Steve, maybe we can all go with my SJ included, pick up the new one, have a little jam session, possibly a little food and laughs thrown in, sounds like a good day to me!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Now in terms of bringing those guitars to Steve, maybe we can all go with my SJ included, pick up the new one, have a little jam session, possibly a little food and laughs thrown in, sounds like a good day to me!
To me, as well! As much as we like working, jamming/eating/laughing is much superior.
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Pick a date and I'll do my best to be there! I'm about three years overdue for a trip to TX.

I hear ya on the windy weather, too, Tom! Fortunately it's not too windy today, but we'll have it tomorrow, which also means a lot of blowing snow as well. Yuck!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Coming to you from the MD suberbs of D.C. it's a balmy 29 degrees with no wind. I'm thinking bikini.

You guys are making me jealous talking about a get together.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Coming to you from the MD suberbs of D.C. it's a balmy 29 degrees with no wind. I'm thinking bikini.

You guys are making me jealous talking about a get together.
Hey, you are almost in the Kinnaird ownership group...we might be able to talk to the board of governors and see if there is anyway to get you grandfathered in to allow at least a partial participation certificate....I don't know what you would bring to the party though, hmmm do you at least own any guitars that start with the letter "K"?
Old 12-16-2016, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

My girls whine every day about "when is it going to snow?" They take it as a personal insult if it's not cold for winter. I'm probably going to hear it tomorrow in our 73 degree weather. They'll be hating life.

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop