The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I use a pair of Isoacoustics L8R monitor isolator stands. They work well and can angle the monitors if needed.

Phil
Actually this is what I use also but I was offering an alternative that would yield arguably just as good of isolation, at a cost of about $20 for a set of eight pads 4 for each speaker .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

In any case I would be using headphones instead of monitors.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
This may be true, but it's too late now, the MoPads have already shipped and are on the way.
Next time, you may wish to ask before you buy something. That way, you can get the input from others which may change your purchase decision.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:48 PM

I didn't think for a minute that tempers would flare so high over monitor pads. I've looked at the alternatives and most were too expensive. The rubber bumpers would have worked with a wood shim in the back, but once I saw the Auralex MoPad XL's, they looked exactly like what I wanted. I have had good luck with the Auralex Mud Guard, and felt comfortable with their materials and design. They look like they were designed specifically for the HS-8's, the dimensions are almost perfect. They'll look great with the HS-8's.

I can't believe you guys are so passionate about monitor pads.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM

Just so you know, I do research on everything I buy for my studio. I go to manufacturer's websites, read the product's description, specs, dimensions, any technical data, I do a google search for reviews of the product, read a bunch of the reviews, both pro and con, I check for You Tube demo video's. I check eBay, Reverb.com, Guitar Center for used items, Musician's Friend, Sam Ash and Sweetwater, Amazon, for competing prices. I look at various competing products to get a good idea of what's available. By the time I've done my homework on said product, I have a pretty good idea on what to expect. In this particular case it seems everybody is offering the same product for the same price. I have a good relationship with Sweetwater and bought it from them, because they jump on the order and ship fairly quickly. My MoPads are scheduled for delivery on Saturday, that's pretty quick service. They have never botched an order yet and always include a small package of candy. Their sales rep calls me every once in a while to see what I'm up to.

In the case of the Mopads, I looked at the regular ones that are 4" wide and you use two of them for each cabinet. I didn't like that idea because I felt I'd be constantly shifting them to keep them in place. Plus you'd have a gap between the pads which would be a huge dust trap, requiring periodic cleaning. I also envisioned spiders making their homes in the gap. So when I saw the XL version, that made more sense to me. Put them in place, set em and forget em. They just made more sense to me. They were a bit more money, but they'd look better with the Auralex nameplate mounted in the middle, right below the Yamaha HS'8's power light. They'll be just fine.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-06-2016, 10:44 PM

I prefer to do my own research privately. One reason is because of bad experiences I had at the Gearslutz website. No matter what product get's mentioned there a slew of people who like it and another slew of people that trash it. Sometimes it's hard to get a consensus one way or the other. There's so much bickering it gets ridiculous, sometimes it resorts to personal attacks. After a while you develop negative attitudes of perfectly good products because of the advice given from "pros". I take advice from others with a grain of salt because I'm not sure of their motives. Sometimes it's simple nitpicking that I just have to ignore. As an example when I was checking reviews of the Yamaha HS-8's one guy trashed them because he thought the power lights looked like headlights in his living room. Nonsense. Then there's the guy that shows up after you bought something and says, or you're stupid for not buying these....
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Okay, the Auralex MoPad XL's arrived today. First impression ?? Boy are they sweet !!! They look great and the monitors sound way better, I can feel the bass thumping my chest. I angled my monitors down by the 8* degrees available...Perfect !!! The difference is immediately noticeable. Yes I would recommend these !!!! No regrets !!!!

Here'a pic of one...

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-08-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:28 PM

here's a pic that shows how the monitor is angled down...

here's a pic that shows how straight the right monitor is now...compare this to the old pic...

Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-08-2016, 03:43 PM

I can no longer hold my tongue...

Just for the record, I started out very much like you did, with a room over crammed with equipment and I also did a lot of research on what works and what doesn't, and funny enough, I also have a few different sets of Yamaha HS series monitors and MoPads (although the MoPads were free as they came with my speakers).

But our similar situations end there!

You constantly say you don't have the room in your recording area because all of the stuff you have in it. Well I HAD a similar situation in my room, as I was constantly buying new equipment, but somewhere along the line I got smart, and found storage for all the extra equipment that was filling my room, and gave thought to what the room was doing. My recordings instantly got better. If you did the same, there's a good chance yours would too!

Long story short, you have some people here that are brave enough not to go along with your ideas, while chancing that they won't be liked for doing so. Some of these people have REAL WORLD experience and make their living getting recordings that sound consistency good to great, and frankly I haven't heard one of your recordings that sounds up to anywhere near their lowest standard. While you've constantly argued that you know what you're doing, you've had interface glitches, out of phase-ness, which you didn't even realize until someone told you, and so many other problems I can't count.
Maybe it's time to grow some humility and serious consider what these people are telling you.

You just joked about people getting passionate over monitor stands, when in actually what I think they are getting passionate about is your blanket disregard for what they've been advising you to do. And their reason for contradicting you, is not only to help you, but to steer others from making like mistakes. It's like the whole reason you post here is to get approval for your purchases.

And, a huge point that you've been missing is, the whole room treatment thing can be done DIY for less money than you have in microphones! Get rid of that clutter, and try it!! You say this is your hobby, well when your hear how much better a recording can sound with a good room sound, your hobby will get 100% more fun. This will be my only post on this discussion!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:03 PM

My only response to all that is, I'm very happy with my studio the way it is. I've been listen to music thru the setup all afternoon, and it sounds great. Sorry but I have no other place to put all the stuff in my room. I'd have to rent a cold storage locker, which I won't do. Many of the items in my studio are many tool chests loaded with tools that I want. Space heaters, misc. cables cords, printer, African drums, tape deck, left over speakers, outdated gear, keyboards, synths, mixing console, cabinet for music books, and misc recordings, 500 cd collection with cases...Lot's of product boxes, misc polishing compounds, tape, chairs, amplifiers, mics, plus a lot more.....I need all this stuff.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-08-2016, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My only response to all that is, I'm very happy with my studio the way it is. I've been listen to music thru the setup all afternoon, and it sounds great. Sorry but I have no other place to put all the stuff in my room. I'd have to rent a cold storage locker, which I won't do. Many of the items in my studio are many tool chests loaded with tools that I want. Space heaters, misc. cables cords, printer, African drums, tape deck, left over speakers, outdated gear, keyboards, synths, mixing console, cabinet for music books, and misc recordings, 500 cd collection with cases...Lot's of product boxes, misc polishing compounds, tape, chairs, amplifiers, mics, plus a lot more.....I need all this stuff.
Don't really need to know every purchase details. Bottom line is how good your recordings come out. Post some new ones and we will give pros or cons on the results.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:20 PM

Here's the latest test recording I've made...

Removed because it was a distraction from the original topic of this thread.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 10-08-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's the latest test recording I've made....been too busy to make more.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Here's another one I've been messing with...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1
First one is ok. So congrats.
Second one hurt my ears with distortions - also synchs and not recordings. Different forum perhaps?

Old 10-08-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
First one is ok. So congrats.
Second one hurt my ears with distortions - also synchs and not recordings. Different forum perhaps?
The first one is mastered with the LANDR automatic mastering software. The second recording I put together using a midi file and East West's Symphonic Orchestra program. Then it was also run thru the LANDR mastering software. I wanted it to cut right thru ya. It sounds great on my system. It's also sold a few downloads on iTunes.

As you can plainly see I do both acoustic guitar recordings and synth recordings as well. I also play out twice a week to a fan base that really enjoys my music and singing. I've been doing it for almost two years and they haven't run me off yet !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 10-08-2016, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The first one is mastered with the LANDR automatic mastering software. The second recording I put together using a midi file and East West's Symphonic Orchestra program. Then it was also run thru the LANDR mastering software. I wanted it to cut right thru ya. It sounds great on my system. It's also sold a few downloads on iTunes.

As you can plainly see I do both acoustic guitar recordings and synth recordings as well. I also play out twice a week to a fan base that really enjoys my music and singing. I've been doing it for almost two years and they haven't run me off yet !!
Yes, it was determined previously that we hear things differently (especially regarding phase issues and over driven distortions). LANDR mastering software absolutely fried your synch clip.

On this section of the forum it would be nice if you would limit your clips to actual recordings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD