The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Default Mounting a Lace Sensor Ultra Slim Acousatic pickup?

I'm going to put my question first. I have more info below this if anyone cares. Sorry for being so wordy, but that's how I roll...

I recently picked up a Lace Sensor Ultra Slim Acoustic humbucker pickup to use on a thin bodied acoustic electric travel guitar:

It sounds like a humbucker, which is what I want for this guitar. Very slim, and I can position it where ever it sounds best - great! However, it is very thin, and on the guitar in question it needs a ~0.25" spacer to bring it up to the right height. Another wrinkle: it attaches using double sided foam tape -- no provision for screws or any other mounting mechanism. Hmmmm...?

I can think of a few ways I might mount this, but I'd really like to hear how someone who knows what they are doing would mount this. I'd prefer not to rout the body, so I'm only considering surface mount solutions at this time. It can be permanently mounted.

There is probably enough space between strings and top of the guitar to mount a standard HB pickup ring if I had to, so it might be possible to make a bottom plate and secure the pickup to that, so I have some height adjustment and can simply screw the pickup ring to the surface of the guitar. I'd have to drill some holes to clearance the travel for the adjustment screws, but i could live with that if it sounded good. Or, I could also see attaching a (hardwood?) spacer to the surface of the guitar and then sticking the pickup to the spacer - that's simpler, maybe, but more rigidly fixed. But maybe there's a better way to do this??

Even wordier background info for the bored and sleep deprived:

A few months ago I picked up a used, folding neck, thin bodied acoustic/electric travel guitar (a SnapDragon TraXe). I am still working on finding the right pickup for it - I've tried a few, and have realized that what I want is for this to sound more like a semi-hollow-bodied electric, and less like a full on acoustic guitar. For comparison purposes, the guitar is probably most similar to Fender's Telecoustic or Stratacoustic guitars, only with a thinner/smaller body, a folding neck, and an offset sound hole.

For visualization purposes, this is the guitar:

It came with a no-name, under saddle unitary pickup. It was harsh and its levels were very high, but with a lot of EQ it was usable. The guitar does not have an board preamp and there isn't room for a typical installation of one.

I tried a L.R. Baggs Element UST next. That has its own preamp and certainly brought out the "acoustic" side of the instrument, but I don't think that's this guitar's strong suit. Too sparkly for my tastes; I prefer something with a greater emphasis on mids and which can sound a bit more rock and roll-friendly when plugged in.

This is a travel guitar and I'm just playing it for his own amusement when I travel for work, so I'm looking for a solution that plugs into my travel amp (currently a Blackstar Fly) and sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
lace, pick up install