The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2015, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Default Punch Brothers Show

Saw Punch Brothers last night at the State in Mpls. They went with the one mic approach for everything, vocals and instruments. Seemed like it made for a tamer show than when we saw them at the start of the year. Of course, that was at a bar (First Avenue)! It does seem more natural, in that when a player turned away from the mic his sound decreased. Chris E actually walked about 12 feet away from the mic when he needed to tweak his tuning mid-song.

Oh, it was an awesome show as usual. But I pitied those folks that had wide left and right seats close up. All they could see of the semi-circle of performers were the backs of the close ones hiding the faces of the far.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM

Also enjoyed the show, of course I was lucky to be front center. That mic sounded amazing. I think the tameness comes from the risk of feedback using a studio condenser as the only source. I was more than impressed at how well they managed dynamics by proximity, having no monitors at all.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 PM

Caught them at grey fox two summers ago.
Great band Chris thile is my fav mando player
Where his mind goes musically just intrigues
Me.I think what you miss is the sound pressure.
Just isn't there with a condenser.not like plugging in.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Cool, thanks for posting this. I received the email from the band that they were going to be one-micing this tour and was a bit apprehensive about that.

The Punch Bros are incredible - one of my favorite bands ever - but they are not strictly a traditional bluegrass band, although they all have that background and certainly the talent for it. The past two albums have been leaning more and more toward the experimental side, both musically and with the sounds of the recordings, adding effects like distortion and reverb to the instruments and vocals. I have to admit I was a little disappointed when "Who's Feeling Young Now" came out and they had gotten away from the traditional bluegrass sound a bit, but once I accepted that thats who they were I loved the album.

"The Phosphorescent Blues" gets even farther away from traditional sounds but is one of the most amazing sounding albums I've heard in a long time. The last time I saw the band live, right after Phosphorescent Blues came out, they were all plugged in and used a lot of the effects live just like they did on the album. It was an incredible show - and the sound quality of the show easily put it among the best concerts I've ever been to. It came as a surprise therefore that they were abandoning all of this to go back to the one mic gimmick on this tour.

I'm curious - did they stick closer to traditional bluegrass-sounding material in these shows or did they still play some of the more experimental stuff from the last couple of albums?

-Mike
Old 12-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
I'm curious - did they stick closer to traditional bluegrass-sounding material in these shows or did they still play some of the more experimental stuff from the last couple of albums?

-Mike
Yes and yes!

They didn't Play Kid A, but the opened with Between 1st and A. They played 3 or 4 off of their new EP including Sleek White Baby which owes way more to jazz than bluegrass (written by Gabriel Kahane, who was their opener, an eclectic genre crosser himself). The high energy Flippen (my personal favorite) got the best audience reception though I was the only one giving that a standing-O (what's with that, Mpls?!?!?! ). They played Boll Weevil and My Oh My, but also encored with Familiarity, and also did Movement and Location.

Julep and Passeied and Magnet also cover a wide spectrum.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Yes and yes!

They didn't Play Kid A, but the opened with Between 1st and A. They played 3 or 4 off of their new EP including Sleek White Baby which owes way more to jazz than bluegrass (written by Gabriel Kahane, who was their opener, an eclectic genre crosser himself). The high energy Flippen (my personal favorite) got the best audience reception though I was the only one giving that a standing-O (what's with that, Mpls?!?!?! ). They played Boll Weevil and My Oh My, but also encored with Familiarity, and also did Movement and Location.

Julep and Passeied and Magnet also cover a wide spectrum.
Very cool to hear! I guess that helps to prove the point that a great song is a great song no matter how its produced or recorded!

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification