The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Do I really need this?

Hey there,

I have been trying to get the best tone possible from my guitars. I installed The lyric system on both of them. I use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic and the BodyRez function was nothing but trouble. So I finally set the BodyRez on Flat and it sounds way better! I still run my guitar tru it because of the HOF reverb, Corona Chorus and booster via Switch 3.

I like the way it sounds now but I wonder if the LR Baggs Padi would be an improvement.

The question is: Can I use the LR Baggs Padi as a preamp/eq only (via 1/4 output) and keep using the Play acoustic as D.I to keep taking advance of the effects?

My idea is going this way:

Lyric System>Padi>TC Polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Strymon El Capistan>Strymon Blue Sky>TC Play Acoustic>Mixer

or go stereo:

Lyric System>TC Polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Strymon El Capistan>Strymon Blue Sky>Left Output to Baggs Padi>Mixer
Blue Sky Right Output to TC Play acoustic>Mixer

Any other ideas?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
Hey there,

I have been trying to get the best tone possible from my guitars. I installed The lyric system on both of them. I use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic and the BodyRez function was nothing but trouble. So I finally set the BodyRez on Flat and it sounds way better! I still run my guitar tru it because of the HOF reverb, Corona Chorus and booster via Switch 3.

I like the way it sounds now but I wonder if the LR Baggs Padi would be an improvement.

The question is: Can I use the LR Baggs Padi as a preamp/eq only (via 1/4 output) and keep using the Play acoustic as D.I to keep taking advance of the effects?

My idea is going this way:

Lyric System>Padi>TC Polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Strymon El Capistan>Strymon Blue Sky>TC Play Acoustic>Mixer

or go stereo:

Lyric System>TC Polytune>Mooer Yellow Comp>Strymon El Capistan>Strymon Blue Sky>Left Output to Baggs Padi>Mixer
Blue Sky Right Output to TC Play acoustic>Mixer

Any other ideas?
I can imagine that most of what the BodyRez is designed to do would be useless with a mic system like the Lyric, but that doesn't mean that the EQ available to you in the Advanced mode of the Play Acoustic wouldn't be useful.

If you want to do this, I'd suggest that the best way would be to use the PADI as your main preamp/EQ with the effects pedals in the PADI's effects loop. Then I'd guess it makes the most sense to go into the Play Acoustic via the PADI's 1/4" out and from there to the PA via the XLR DI out. This way you're bypassing the PADI's DI out, but you're able to send your pre-amped pick up signal though your pedals, adjust EQ on the PADI and then send all that to the Play acoustic for whatever else you need from it (and I assume your vocals).

Seems very complicated, though! Are you sure that the EQ available in advanced mode isn't a better bet than the EQ on a PADI--minus the rest of the BodyRez functions? It's a more adjustable EQ, after all, offering two adjustable shelving controls, high and low, and two fully parametric mid range controls. You don't need to use the other aspects of the BodyRez function, if that's what was causing the trouble. What was the trouble you had with BodyRez?

And do you really need all those pedals in addition to all the effects available on the Play Acoustic? If you want to use pedals for the guitar, maybe sell the Play Acoustic and buy a simpler, more dedicated vocal unit and get a chorus pedal--since you seem to have delay and reverb covered with those nice Strymons.

Louis
Old 12-01-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I can imagine that most of what the BodyRez is designed to do would be useless with a mic system like the Lyric, but that doesn't mean that the EQ available to you in the Advanced mode of the Play Acoustic wouldn't be useful.
Thanks for the reply! The thing is that when you modify the eq on the advaced settings the system automaticaly create a "custom" preset envolving some of the BodyRez on it plus Eq it is too complicated to access. With the PADI would be easier.

Quote:
If you want to do this, I'd suggest that the best way would be to use the PADI as your main preamp/EQ with the effects pedals in the PADI's effects loop. Then I'd guess it makes the most sense to go into the Play Acoustic via the PADI's 1/4" out and from there to the PA via the XLR DI out. This way you're bypassing the PADI's DI out, but you're able to send your pre-amped pick up signal though your pedals, adjust EQ on the PADI and then send all that to the Play acoustic for whatever else you need from it (and I assume your vocals).
This sounds good to me! I could even exit from the PADI as well and get an stereo signal.

Quote:
Seems very complicated, though! Are you sure that the EQ available in advanced mode isn't a better bet than the EQ on a PADI--minus the rest of the BodyRez functions? It's a more adjustable EQ, after all, offering two adjustable shelving controls, high and low, and two fully parametric mid range controls. You don't need to use the other aspects of the BodyRez function, if that's what was causing the trouble. What was the trouble you had with BodyRez?
I honestly do not know how to explain it. But at the time I put in flat it was like the guitar was able to breathe.

Quote:
And do you really need all those pedals in addition to all the effects available on the Play Acoustic? If you want to use pedals for the guitar, maybe sell the Play Acoustic and buy a simpler, more dedicated vocal unit and get a chorus pedal--since you seem to have delay and reverb covered with those nice Strymons.

That's a good point. I am also don't like how the reverb and chorus from play acoustic sound with the lyric. But I like the play acoustic because I can save vocal presets and activate the delay in some parts of the songs.
Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification