The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
Everybody has their own priorities and standards. That's why it's great to have a nice variety of models to chose from.
Hi MM

Thank you for understanding what I meant.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
It really makes no sense to me to use a pickup for recording an acoustic guitar, if the recording is for anything other than personal use. I don't have D-28's sitting around to put on a record for posterity displaying what they sound like through a pickup. If I'm recording a quality guitar, I want to record the quality guitar.

Well I want to play thru my new Fender SFX amp which sounds great on my other guitars..I want the PONO to be amplified as well as there are many great effects in the Fender amp that I would like to put on my recordings..the reverb in the Fender is one of the lushest sounding reverbs I've ever heard. I want that on my recordings. to record the Fender amp with the effects without getting room noise, I can easily throw a shipping blanket over the amp and I'm in business.

For practicing, I like to run my guitars thru the amp. Mics feedback too much for me. So using pickups is mandatory for me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-07-2015, 12:24 PM

Another reason I want a pickup in my guitar is that at some point in the future at my jam sessions, we might all start using amps at our shows. Some of the players are already bringing amps in so we may go in that direction...I want to be ready for that if it happens...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-07-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Another reason I want a pickup in my guitar is that at some point in the future at my jam sessions, we might all start using amps at our shows. Some of the players are already bringing amps in so we may go in that direction...I want to be ready for that if it happens...
Makes sense.

Have fun!!

Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 PM

[QUOTE=emmsone;4704639]@Martin Maniac, i know you just ordered the M80, but if you really wanted it to be black, you could have just gone for the Takamine Tri-ax 2, it IS the LR Baggs M80 in all black Takamine livery[/QUOTE

I ended up painting it gloss black.

Here's a pic...

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 11-07-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:24 PM

Go for the best pick-up i have tried& ive installed and used them all onstage. Baggs anthem! Ust is fine and the internal bridge plate mike gets the sweetest sound. For the $, & general application-ANTHEN-correctly installer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Makes sense.

Have fun!!

Another point to consider, when using mics to make recordings, you need quality mics, quality pre-amps, a decent quiet room that has been sonically treated. Now add up the cost of all that and your easily talking many thousands of dollars to do it right. My recording into pickups may sound like a half-baked way of doing things, but it's much more economical, and can still produce very good results. Booking a pro-quality recording studio isn't an option for me for the amount of studio time I would like. Around here I've been quoted $150 bucks an hour.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Another point to consider, when using mics to make recordings, you need quality mics, quality pre-amps, a decent quiet room that has been sonically treated. Now add up the cost of all that and your easily talking many thousands of dollars to do it right. My recording into pickups may sound like a half-baked way of doing things, but it's much more economical, and can still produce very good results. Booking a pro-quality recording studio isn't an option for me for the amount of studio time I would like. Around here I've been quoted $150 bucks an hour.
With all due respect, I think you're overthinking it.

I'd much rather hear a guitar sound like my D-28 does here, recorded in my home "studio" (my bedroom as I recall) with a Shure SM57Beta into a Tascam digital recorder, than I would want to hear that fine old D-28 recorded with any kind of pickup.

Between The Grey And Blue

But that is where my tastes run.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:40 AM

All I can tell you is listen to the M80 samples on Doug Young's website...they sound very good to me.

I've been listening to my recordings of my M1A and Lyric and they sure don't sound bad to me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
All I can tell you is listen to the M80 samples on Doug Young's website...they sound very good to me.

I've been listening to my recordings of my M1A and Lyric and they sure don't sound bad to me.
The Baggs soundhole pickup does sound very good. No one used the word "bad". But I wouldn't record an acoustic guitar album with just my Baggs pickup. I'd prefer the sound using a really good, carefully positioned, microphone.

I do like the Baggs a lot. I have one in my Seagull which is my favorite slide guitar.

Kind of a messy look in the photo but I now have the Baggs connected to the stereo endpin jack and it looks much cleaner.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 11-08-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Default k&k twin spot too boomy AND too shrill

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=407079

Last edited by M19; 11-08-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Comment on moderation
Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

One thing some people forget in the equation is the individual guitar. I've had k&k's in some guitars that worked great and other that were just too tubby and boomy. I think you could probably find differences in two identical guitars with them based on small differences in the sonic profiles of the two, and or small differences in where and how the pickup's elements are seated.

These are acoustic guitars. As bob taylor says, acoustic guitars are, quite literally, amplifiers, and amplifying an amplifier is tricky stuff.

And by the way, could the fighters go find other forums to fight on? Geez...really, seriously, i know some people enjoy mixing it up, but i love this place because of the exchange of ideas. If you want to do personal flames, get it out of your system on some other forum, then come here.

😍
Old 11-15-2015, 01:17 PM

I've said this in a few threads before but I'll repeat it here.

My Headway EDB-2 preamp does an incredible job of getting rid of feedback. And that is without even using the notch filter.

I'll give you an example.

I've tested running my pickups, through a K&K preamp, into a Deluxe Reverb amp (not something I'd do on stage, just as an experiment) and got howling feedback.

Tried it with the Headway and there was nothing.

My guitar has PWMs in it as well as the trinity mic and an under saddle.

At my gig last night I was stood in front of the PA during soundcheck, soundhole pointing straight at the speaker with the pickups and mic up full, and had no feedback.

I can't explain how it works but I've had great results with it.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublro View Post
One thing some people forget in the equation is the individual guitar. I've had k&k's in some guitars that worked great and other that were just too tubby and boomy.
Never had that experience. The K&K's sound great in every guitar I have put them in.

I did have an issue once when I used my dreadnaught in one side of my RedEye Twin and my OM in the other side and then ran the output of the RedEye into a single channel of the PA.

The PA was EQed for my OM and when I switched to my dreadnaught it was to bassy and fed back.

I bought a second RedEye so my dread could have it's own channel on the PA with its own EQ and everything was fine after that.

I can get away with using the RedEye Twin into a single channel of the PA if both guitars are OM's because they both want pretty much the same EQ.

But not if one guitar is big bodied and the other is small bodied.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 12-06-2015, 03:52 AM

This is now solved.
I've found a good deal on an Headway EDB-2 and I bought it.
What fantastic piece of gear, it works and sound just so well.
Exactly the same conditions, in our gig room, where I wasn't able to plug my RK. I plugged it in, controls at noon, and the tone was good and got no feedback at all. Then I tried various setting, and I've got some issues with a lower frequencies feedback that I was able to dial out with different eq settings, no need to change the phase.
I took out the soundhole cover, just don't need it anymore.
Thanks to the two channel design I'll be able to use it when I decide to add a second pickup or mic to my guitar: mic, passive, active, you name it.
I love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification