The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Platinum Pro vs Session for Anthem

Hi,

I've got the Baggs Session DI to use with both my guitars, which have an Anthem and Anthem SL in them respectively. I like the Session, but there are a few things about the Platinum Pro I like that the Session doesn't have, so I'm curious how it would sound.

I don't use the DI function on the Session since I run Reverb after it - the Platinum Pro has an effects loop, which would allow me to use it's DI and not require a separate DI. And the on-board tuner is a plus that the Session doesn't have. So that would eliminate 2 pedals on my acoustic board (tuner and DI).

Anyway, please compare the Platinum Pro with the Session. Thanks!
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp

Last edited by rschultz; 12-13-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
Hi,

I've got the Baggs Session DI to use with both my guitars, which have an Anthem and Anthem SL in them respectively. I like the Session, but there are a few things about the Platinum Pro I like that the Session doesn't have, so I'm curious how it would sound.

I don't use the DI function on the Session since I run Reverb after it - the Platinum Pro has an effects loop, which would allow me to use it's DI and not require a separate DI. And the on-board tuner is a plus that the Session doesn't have. So that would eliminate 2 pedals on my acoustic board (tuner and DI).

Anyway, please compare the Platinum Pro with the Session. Thanks!
I haven't tried the Session but I have tried the Platinum Pro and I am very familiar with Fishman products. If you are liking what the PP has to offer and you already have the Session, why not run the Session into the Platinum Pro or even in the effects loop? I know a lot of people use the Session and Venue together so that could be a killer combination. With that said, if the Session isn't blowing you away, it might be worth it to just run through the Platinum Pro, you won't be disappointed.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:24 PM

I use the Platinum Pro with my Anthem SL. Chose it over the Session because I think the EQ is more powerful and I need that at times. Also use the tuner feature at every gig. The Fishman does have more features as well. I don't think it's exactly a fair comparison as the Session is a different animal in certain ways. I think the Platinum Pro is a better "live" performing choice, but as is always the case, it's subjective.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-12-2016, 08:46 PM

I prefer my Radial PZ-Deluxe to the Platinum Pro but the Radial adds a bit more hiss to the signal (very small amount). I find the radial just makes any guitar sound incredible. I am not sure why but whenever I plug my Anthem SL or Octave mandolin into it, I have a much warmer and fatter tone.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I haven't tried the Session but I have tried the Platinum Pro and I am very familiar with Fishman products. If you are liking what the PP has to offer and you already have the Session, why not run the Session into the Platinum Pro or even in the effects loop? I know a lot of people use the Session and Venue together so that could be a killer combination. With that said, if the Session isn't blowing you away, it might be worth it to just run through the Platinum Pro, you won't be disappointed.
What would the advantage of using both the Session and the PP? Seems redundant to me...
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-13-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
What would the advantage of using both the Session and the PP? Seems redundant to me...
Well although the Session is a DI, its main feature is the fact that it has compression and saturation to give a more studio quality tone. I look at the Session as a bit more of an effect. The PP on the other hand is more for shaping your tone. I know the PP has compression but I think it's more of a straight forward compressor. You definitely don't need both but if I had both, I would definitely try them together.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM

My Platinum Pro is an indispensable tool for live performing. However, I find that the tuner is not near as responsive as my TC Mini Polytune which remains on my pedalboard. Just a caveat but YMMV.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 12-14-2016, 08:14 PM

I picked up a new one for a killer price on Reverb from GearNuts. Can't wait to try it out and compare to the Session.
'21 Gretsch 5622
Old 12-17-2016, 05:21 PM

Got my PP today and spent over an hour messing with it and the Session. Fun combination.

'21 Gretsch 5622

Last edited by rschultz; 12-29-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
My Platinum Pro is an indispensable tool for live performing. However, I find that the tuner is not near as responsive as my TC Mini Polytune which remains on my pedalboard. Just a caveat but YMMV.
Exactly my experience too. I could not see the PP Tuner in bright daylight, but the Polytune Mini II is superb. It's fast, bright and works great. I left it on my board too.

I use the gain as a clean boost for acoustic lead solo's. Works great. I LOVE the Plat Pro EQ. It is first rate, class A sounding gear. I plug into a Bose L1 Compact, so the Plat Pro gives me EQ and tone shaping, notch filtering and compression in one package. Very pleased.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 AM

I ended up selling the PP and keeping the Session. But I admit that they perform different functions and really can't be compared to each other. I like the CompEQ of the Session mainly, that is very unique. At the time I didn't think I needed EQ, but recently I got an M80 and felt like a little EQ would be nice. So instead of getting a PP or Venue, I bought an Empress ParaEQ. It's about the same price as either but has way more functionality in the EQ department, and I like that you can turn the effect on or off (can't do that with the Venue/PP). And I really don't need the tuner since I use a Turbo Tuner.

YMMV.
'21 Gretsch 5622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification