The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Default OK, I'm not the sharpest tool

A few years ago I tried a K&K pickup in my old Larivee parlor guitar and didn’t much like it. Mind you, I did the installation myself and maybe hosed it. I don’t know. It was kind of furry… it was a long time ago.

So then I started playing out more and I bought a new guitar… and another new guitar… and in between have tried multiple kinds of pickups. I switched to a Fishman Matrix (two quacky) and then an LR Baggs Lyric (too finicky) and then a DiMarzio Angel (too electricy)… and then the lead guitar player in Buzzard Whiskey started using a K&K in his guitar… geez… its sounds great!

So last night I went to a concert and really enjoyed the performance of a forum member (hey Scott) playing his JJB pickup equipped guitar (it sounded fantastic) and it pushed me over the edge… I installed a K&K in my Martin CEO7 today and wham!

Other than glue residue on my fingers it went smoothly and sounds great.

I’ve tried it directly into my Schertler Unico, via a Radial PZ-DI Orchestra Acoustic Direct Box, and finally via a Zoom A3. Too simple. Scoop some mids and it’s plenty good enough, or shelf the lows as well and wow… pro sounding.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM

I've found one key to good K&K performance is to get a tight, non-cushioned bond. The crappy tape they sometimes supply does not meet the goal. For temporary, I use Rhino Grip Double Sided Tape. For permanent, I use 5 minute Loctite epoxy, because this epoxy can be removed with (very carefully and locally applied) heat.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM

It was great to meet you! I had a blast playing that show—and I was kind of floored by the number of people who complimented me about my guitar's sound (that never, ever happens). I'm glad you got a K&K working for you, too. I can't wait to hear it sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post

So last night I went to a concert and really enjoyed the performance of a forum member (hey Scott) playing his JJB pickup equipped guitar (it sounded fantastic) and it pushed me over the edge… I installed a K&K in my Martin CEO7 today and wham!
Old 01-08-2017, 08:34 AM

I'd think that the Zoom A3 would be a good preamp to use with the Pure Mini. It has an ideal (for the Pure Mini) input impedance of 1 Mohm, plus enough digital EQ power to adjust for a balanced tone at home. Beyond that, you also have the manual three band EQ which can be used for "quick and dirty" adjustments at the gig.

I doubt that the A3's modeling effects will be very compatible with a soundboard pickup, but soundboard pickups tend to need less help (than USTs and mags) in achieving a pleasant tone.

I've personally found that SBT rigs can vary a lot with respect to tonal balance (depending on the guitar, the placement and the type of installation - tape or glue), but the A3 probably has enough EQ power to deal with a worst case scenario.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

For the price I don't think you can get a more natural sound. Add the mic and a pre and you are in acoustic gig bliss...IMHO

I had guitar (Blueridge BR163) that had the K&K 3 source set up - mini/mic/UST. Wow....it was fantastic for band situations. The system cost almost as much as the guitar but it was worth it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 PM

I played at a VFW last night with the full band and the K&K through my Zoom A3 was brilliant. Scooped the mids and away we went.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I played at a VFW last night with the full band and the K&K through my Zoom A3 was brilliant. Scooped the mids and away we went.
I have a K&K and a Zoom A3, did you use any other things in your patch? Did you EQ outside or internally within the patch string?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM

Hey dude! I hope you and yours are well.

For my CEO-7 here's the breakdown (virtually no EQ at the board or amp):

Pickup Select=Piezo
Bass=10:00, Middle=10:00, Treble=12:00
Balance=100% wet
Pickup Level=10:00

Body type = Double 0

Effect 1 (Model)
OM-28

Effect 2
Para EQ
Freq1=63Hz, Q1=0.5, Gain1=-6
Freq2=320Hz, Q2=2, Gain2=-2
Level=100

Effect 3
Exciter
Bass=6, Trebl=18, Level=100

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 01-29-2017 at 03:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification