The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

No need for an active pickup bass. Passive's just fine for me.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 12-30-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

Last edited by polarred21; 12-30-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 AM

I think I can summarize the good advice in this thread.

1) You are looking at a bass where a disproportionate amount of the build cost has been put into features you don't need (active pickups, tone booster, even probably the hard case).

2) You aren't buying enough amp. You may just be practicing in your home right now, but soon you will want to play with others (solo bass practice is boring). When that happens, you will want at least 50 watts and a 10" speaker (100 watts and 15" is better).
Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM

I don't believe this guy was a dealer, the only thing I can find on him is a Reverb account that he opened last year. We have traded several cordial messages about this unit and all was good and I made him an offer. He then revealed to me that it had a chip on the headstock that he wanted to let me know about first to be sure I was okay with before he accepted. It was minor but enough to kill the deal for me. He should have disclosed this info in his ad that he did not do.

Yeah I think the battery is for a preamp I don't think the pickups are passive. I had this discussion with my shop about this while looking at several that did not need a battery. The young sales guy I befriended is a bass player so I felt good about his advice that I don't need passive pick-ups and he explained to me how they work and made more sense to me after that. They also have a 95 model Fender MIM P bass red in good shape for $299 and can probably get it for $250 or less. I realize that the mainstream and better value holding basses are the Precision and the Jazz whether it be a Fender or a Squier. I am a beginner at this want to learn bass while I have my instructor on the hook for 2 years now. I will be playing and practicing in a small bedroom/office/now music room so the whopping size of these Fenders is the only real thing that's not appealing to me.......

.....the search continues. Went to the new GC that moved from Durham to Cary, NC last night and it was a big let down. The new store is smaller and stock was depleted after Christmas.
I'll be traveling 4 hours west tomorrow to take the wife to the Biltmore estate to see Christmas décor so I'm searching now for stores I can hit on the was home Sunday.

Remember, I'm looking for around a $200 guitar....and a 20 watt or above practice amp $100 range. To drop $500 or $1000 on this endeavor right now does not interest me, I can afford it but I just don't need that much of a set-up.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM

remember, im talking from 45 years ago-- now with recent implanted hearing, but im not sure id buy anything used over the web without trying it, to many variables to the bass/action/sound- guitar center is ok, but you wont get the best deals, i did have a 65 jazz and an EB-0- i can say i liked the gibson slightly better, but i think you can find a quality bass from craigslist if your patient, i bought a REALLY nice bass at a pawn shop for $80, forget the name but was a musicman clone type- i tried different amps (many amps) at guitar stores, and no matter what i tried, all the low end notes were a bust, i ran across an amp i never heard of-i think it was $80 too--called EMC, 100 watt 15" speaker- sounded great at low volume and you could crank it up high with no distortion, point is- good deals can be had at great prices, key word is patience
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 12-30-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
...I realize that the mainstream and better value holding basses are the Precision and the Jazz whether it be a Fender or a Squier...I will be playing and practicing in a small bedroom/office/now music room so the whopping size of these Fenders is the only real thing that's not appealing to me...Remember, I'm looking for around a $200 guitar...and a 20 watt or above practice amp $100 range. To drop $500 or $1000 on this endeavor right now does not interest me, I can afford it but I just don't need that much of a set-up.
Uh, yeah, you do - referencing the "summary" post above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
I think I can summarize the good advice in this thread...

You aren't buying enough amp. You may just be practicing in your home right now, but soon you will want to play with others (solo bass practice is boring). When that happens, you will want at least 50 watts and a 10" speaker (100 watts and 15" is better).
You already have some background and experience - not a rank beginner by any means - and stepping up to a $500 budget gets you into the realm of better-constructed, better-sounding, better-playing equipment that'll take you from the bedroom to band practice to a small gig without the need for upgrades. Some suggestions:
  • If you're tight for physical maneuverability in your practice room (I'm in the same home office/converted bedroom situation, BTW) - and in view of the fact that you have no bass experience - I offered you a number of suggestions for short-scale basses in a prior post, all of which would fit well within your budget. While many supposedly-knowledgeable players consider them tonally inferior to a 34" scale instrument, when they're properly set up as they were back in their heyday they're simply a different flavor, much like a Gibson J-45 and a Martin D-18, and many well-known artists - Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney, Stanley Clarke, and Allen Woody, among others - built their signature sound around the unique tonal/handling qualities; should you decide to go this route I can offer some setup tips that will help get you off the ground...
  • It's fairly easy to find a 100W/12" or 15" amp that fits both your budget and quarters, whether new or used: Fender, Peavey, Ampeg, and Acoustic all have models meeting these criteria, and you might be able to find a used Gallien-Krueger MB combo in the $300 range as well...
Bottom line: you'll never regret money well-spent on good equipment that really meets your needs...
Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 PM

I hear ya Steve...you're pushing me to go big or go home. Shopping is all the fun right now. I think I have found the big bass and amp I need

Just waiting to hear back from the offer I made .

All kidding aside, thanks!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Early on in the thread, you mentioned your instructor played bass. Isn't he able to be a resource to you in your ultimate selection?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 12-31-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Early on in the thread, you mentioned your instructor played bass. Isn't he able to be a resource to you in your ultimate selection?
Yes I have asked his opinion of course. We discussed short scale would be easier, but I'm just searching for the one I want and most likely going full scale. I've got plenty of time, no rush.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post

I've had the rare pleasure of playing through a 200W plexi Marshall Major...

I've attended several NHRA National/regional events during my lifetime, been at both the starting line and the top end when a pair of Top Fuel cars unleash their full 330 MPH fury...

I've stood three feet from 16-time champion John Force's 10,000 HP nitro Funny Car during pit warm-ups...

I've heard tell that the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa was the loudest sound in all of recorded history...

I think we have a new winner here...
Old 01-01-2017, 07:00 AM

Don't write off your local pawn shops. Occasionally you can find a reasonable guitar or amp there at an acceptable price. A suggestion for the AMP would be, to purchase as has been recommended, to give you the headroom to play in a band, but, also invest in some good headphones and use them to practice at home.

MY current practice setup is a Roland Cube 30 bass amp (I have a bigger Bass Amp that I use) which allows me to plug in my Music player (usually laptop) and Guitar (Either Bass or Electric) and Headphones. I can then play as long, or a loud as I like without annoying the other occupants of my home.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:03 AM

The deal is done. Some of you may not agree with my decision(s) but the wife bought it for my birthday! while we were on a trip to the Biltmore house in Asheville, NC. If you have never seen it it is a must see attraction. We stopped at a well reviewed GC there and they had a good selection.

I'll post pics and info asap.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM

So here it is, the guitar does have passive pickups with a 2 band Eq that requires a battery. I went from a 20 watt to a 40 watt amp based on the all the good advice here.

One of the first songs I want to learn is Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band "Heavy Music." Now I'm excited

Ibanez Talman TMB100 4 string Bass
neck type: TMB4 Maple neck
body: Mahogany body
fretboard: Rosewood fretboard w/White dot inlay
fret: Medium frets
number of frets: 20
bridge: Std. bridge (19mm string spacing)
neck pickup: Dynamix P neck pickup (Passive)
bridge pickup: Dynamix J bridge pickup (Passive)
equaliser: Ibanez Custom Electronics 2-band eq
factory tuning 1G, 2D, 3A, 4E
string gauge .045/.065/.085/.105
hardware color Chrome

Ampeg BA110 40 watt bass combo amp:
40 watts RMS power
10″ Ampeg Custom10™ speaker
Legacy Ampeg preamp with 3-band EQ
Bass Scrambler™ overdrive delivers SVT grind
True 60° sound reinforcement monitor angle
Aux input for playing along with smartphone or iPod
Headphone output for silent solo practice
-15dB input pad for active basses or additional level control

Last edited by polarred21; 01-02-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:49 PM

Not a bad first choice - had a Roadstar P/J back in the '80s, owned a few other Ibanez instruments over the years, have an '02 SR405 and Mikrobass in my stable right now, may pop for an Artcore 5-string semi-hollow somewhere down the line - and it should serve you well; a couple things:
  • IME some of the post-2K necks can be lightly built and very sensitive to string gauge - you'll want to stick with something in the 45-100/45-105 camp (I'm partial to flatwounds - easier on frets/fingers and mellower tone), and avoid LaBella as they tend to be higher tension than most...
  • Did you also have a chance to try the TMB30: identical to yours but short scale (30"), slightly less expensive - and your daughter would be able to handle it as well in the not-too-distant future...
  • Ampeg is dumping their older model BA Series (the ones in the non-tiltback cabs); depending on where you bought yours, you might be able to step up to a BA112/BA115 (more headroom/low-end extension - it's not just about volume) for about the same money - if they have a return policy it might be well worth a check...
In any event, use it well and often...
Old 01-03-2017, 03:01 AM

You can't go too far wrong with that rig. Enjoy your foray into Bass. If you find that you are looking for lower notes than the low E (my problem) then you can always replace the strings with the lower four from a 5 string set. I played BEAD tuning for a few years before I got the Taurus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars