The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-24-2016, 12:58 AM

Default Identify Mic (and maybe method too)

I have listened to this with my Beyer DT 770 Pro headphones and I can hear these guitars more pure and true than any other Youtube recording ever. Can anyone identify the mic used and maybe elaborate on how they achieved this level of pure/true and clarity of sound over Youtube?

You can see the mic at 0.57 and several other times.
https://www.youtube....3FF23&index=227

Thanks and God Bless!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Address won't resolve. I think it got truncated.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Fixed it for ya... I am not certain about the actual make or model of the mic, other than obviously an LDC. but as far as the sound of this particular video.
For starters I would guess that they are uploading a fairly high resolution file like 720 or higher. Although it seems to me there are actually a number of the good quality video's on YouTube that have the sound as good as on this video.

I would guess that as far as this particular video perhaps it is more with to do with the sound he getting with the entire combination involved: His playing, mic and placement, the guitars used (note to my ears and over my laptop earbuds I think he is getting more and better tone out of the J45, then the Hummingbird), the mic pre, AD/DA conversion, the mixing itself and upload resolution. All of which in sum total in combination simply appeals to you personally. Also (and maybe it goes without saying) almost certainly, the sound is recorded over separate dedicated sound recording system, from the video recording system.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-24-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Navy blue body, grey grille, could be a Stirling but the grille shape is that of a Neumann U87. Don't really know that aesthetic scheme and configuration.

It looks like the mic is just being run away from the body to get a stringier, brighter sound.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Sound is good for one mike. A Neumann something or other - looks like my Neumann TLM103.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Sound is good for one mike. A Neumann something or other - looks like my Neumann TLM103.
This isn't one mic, the recording is stereo, spaced pairs. You can see just a corner of the other mic near the bridge at 4:38, the camera angle is just hiding it for most of the video.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
This isn't one mic, the recording is stereo, spaced pairs. You can see just a corner of the other mic near the bridge at 4:38, the camera angle is just hiding it for most of the video.
Thanks Doug. I thought it sounded better than I expected for a single mike but I did not see the other mike.
In that case, for a stereo recording it is just so so. I and many, many, others have better sounding recordings
on youtube. So I would not be in the market to buy the mikes used in the video just based on the sound in this video.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, to me, this is a perfectly fine recording, nothing particularly special, but it's clean, balanced, and captures the guitar sound accurately. I think the guitars (and player) contribute the most to the classic sound here, which is as it should be for this sort of demo. The recording doesn't distract. But any half-decent pair of mics would work for this, assuming the rest - guitar, player, setup, room acoustics...
Old 09-24-2016, 02:46 PM

The same mics (a much clearer view) and the same spaced pair setup are visible in this demo from the same folks at Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/gP8kVIavWWY

Here's the latest commentator regarding the mics:

They are definitely Groove Tube and with that shape and colour, they look like GT57s to me. The GT57s are multi-pattern FET mics; I have a GT67 which is almost the same but valve based. No longer made, but any GT mic is worth picking up used as they often sell for very little money these days and were performance bargains even at their original full price. When Grove Tubes stopped making mics, manufacture of them was taken over by Sterling Audio in the US and their GT57 equivalent is the multi-pattern ST59, albeit in a different casing and grille (very similar in looks to the fixed cardioid pattern GT55).

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-24-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:59 PM

Thanks Everyone! I'm looking for one then two mics that are very ACCURATE/TRUE sounding and was impressed with this review's sound.

As always I ask stupid questions and get really smart answers and learn a lot! Thanks Again!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD