The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 PM

Cool Solo playing with Mp3

occasionally I see posts where musicians talk of how they perform using backing track mp3 filess with their guitar and their microphone. Can anyone help me get started in this. Right now, I am using a digitech live harmonizer with a Zoom acoustic guitar effects pedal. Its coming out okay, but I think I need to do more.....Thanks MJ
Old 06-01-2016, 02:23 AM

I've done it (not often) using a Boss RC3. You can load up to 3 hours of audio into the little thing, so I'd prerecord my backing (bass and drums). There's separate outs and volume for audio and guitar, but each is mono only.
If your digitech can store audio, you could do the same thing. Otherwise you obviously need some kind of separate MP3 player (ipod, ipad, laptop, etc), and a spare channel on your mixer (or a way of feeding it into either of your current units). Separate units obviously give you more flexibility of control.
For recording, btw, I use Audacity (free audio editor and multitracker, with effects).
Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 AM

Default Backing Mp3 recording

Thanks for the information. I am familiar with what you have described. however, I was looking for knowledge on what i needed to know about using backing tracks, where to get them, what are good prices, what are the pitfalls.
Thank you Jon for your information…Mj
Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJohn View Post
occasionally I see posts where musicians talk of how they perform using backing track mp3 filess with their guitar and their microphone. Can anyone help me get started in this. Right now, I am using a digitech live harmonizer with a Zoom acoustic guitar effects pedal. Its coming out okay, but I think I need to do more.....Thanks MJ
Is this just for practicing with? Do you have the chops to make guitar backing tracks yourself (i.e. can you play the chords for the songs you want backed)?

I've got a fancy looper I could use (and did use w/electric), but most of the time these days with acoustic I just use GarageBand on my phone (or tablet). I think it costs 5 bucks. I use it for recording ideas, practicing solos, working out vocal harmonies, sending stuff to bandmates, etc. Maybe that would be an option for you?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:21 PM

Default backing tracks

Try this link:

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

or

http://www.guitarvoice.com/backingtracks/

I use them to perform and practice all the time.
I use midi files as well, I make bothe types of files in my studio or download. I use a Roland D50 for playback thru a Bose PA for performing

Mp3's can be played back on your phone nowadays, my phone even lets me change keys.

I recently picked up a Digitech Trio+ this thing is blast!~ that is a whole other thread...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write