The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Default excessive string squeak?

I have been playing for nearly 50 years, and have never had a problem with string squeak while strumming until this past year. I now play mainly acoustic electric, and use light gauge strings on my 6 and 12 string guitars that I play on my gigs. I normally use Fender medium picks, and wear one out in a 4 hour gig. The squeak is worse on the 12 string, but my wife noticed I am getting it now on the 6 string as well. I normally use D'Addario EXP's or Martin SP phosphor bronze strings. I haven't noticed much difference in the brands regarding the squeak. I am just wondering, has my picking technique changed suddenly, or do I need to change picks, string brands, or what?

Last edited by steamfurnace; 03-09-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamfurnace View Post
I have been playing for nearly 50 years, and have never had a problem with string squeak while strumming until this past year. I now play mainly acoustic electric, and use light gauge strings on my 6 and 12 string guitars that I play on my gigs. I normally use Fender medium picks, and wear one out in a 4 hour gig. The squeak is worse on the 12 string, but my wife noticed I am getting it now on the 6 string as well. I normally use Daddario EXP's or Martin SP phosphor bronze strings. I haven't noticed much difference in the brands regarding the squeak. I am just wondering, has my picking technique changed suddenly, or do I need to change picks, string brands, or what?
Hi sf

D'Addario EXP are the worst squeaking strings there are. They positively scream at times, and chirp all the way through performances. It's because they coat the winding string and then wrap it around the core side-wise which produces a non-skid surface. Their non-coated strings are far quieter.

Elixir on the other hand builds the entire string and the encases it producing a smooth outer surface.

Some of us do a lot of slides and hammering, so quiet strings are a must. And depending on your pickup system it can be even accentuated more.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Thanks, LJ. I will try Elixirs or uncoated on the next string change. This squeaking is driving me nuts!
Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

I absolutely agree with ljguitar on this one... I have NEVER heard a string that squeaks as much as those EXP's... wanted to take them off my guitar in the first week, but left them on for a month to see if things "quieted down" a bit... nope. Still as squeaky and noisy after a month as they were at first...

Elixir Nanoweb phosphor bronze strings... quiet, extremely long lifespan, nice smooth feel... well worth a few extra bucks for a string that lasts for 4-6 months!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi sf

D'Addario EXP are the worst squeaking strings there are. They positively scream at times, and chirp all the way through performances. It's because they coat the winding string and then wrap it around the core side-wise which produces a non-skid surface. Their non-coated strings are far quieter.

Elixir on the other hand builds the entire string and the encases it producing a smooth outer surface.

Some of us do a lot of slides and hammering, so quiet strings are a must. And depending on your pickup system it can be even accentuated more.

Another vote for Elixirs really being squeak tolerant. They're advertised as "nanofiber" and if you look very closely, you'll see the wrapped strings have intertwined fibers -and those fibers are what keeps squeaking under control.

Also, fingertip callous condition is a big factor. Sometimes the callouses are just right and the skin does not dig deeply into the wrapping on the strings -and sometimes, the callouses just don't cooperate. The situation comes and goes for me.

Ray
Old 03-09-2016, 04:42 PM

I hear very little on Monels. Do a lot of note and chord slides. They have a pretty smooth surface so I imagine that helps. No help on a 12 string yet but you could try on a 6.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:51 PM

Give Elixer Polywebs a try.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packy View Post
Give Elixer Polywebs a try.
Hi Packy

I have a friend who records with Polywebs because the coating is 4X as thick as on Nano-webs. They are virtually noise-less (once you get past the fact they feel soapy/slick).

I have a friend who has very acidic skin, and he kills non-coated strings in one session of play. He uses Polywebs because of the extra thick coating, and if he wipes them down every 20 minutes while he plays, he can stretch them to nearly 2 weeks before a string change. That is where Polywebs really shine…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2016, 01:34 PM

Smile

Just a follow-up. I followed the suggestions here and switched both guitars to Elixir strings. Pleased to say, there is no string squeak on either one now!
Thanks for the suggestion; my wife and I are both a lot happier at my amplified gigs now>
Old 05-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Default excessive string squeak?

Gee I didn't know about the extra coating on the polys. Thanks for that info. I will have to try them. I hate string noise and also have higher acidity too. Don't care for regular daddarios for both those reasons.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:21 PM

Rub a candle over the strings. I'll reduce most of the squeaking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write