The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM

Default Radial ProDI vs Stagebug SB-2

I ended up with one each of the aforementioned DIs, but don't really need them both. I know the ProDI has a larger frequency response on paper, but has anyone heard any difference between the Pro series and Stagebug series? The auto-merge function on the SB-2 is kind of attractive...
Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Have you tried an A/B comparison? I don't think you'll hear any difference. That merge feature will also work on the Pro-DI, it's just not meant to do that while the higher end models are meant to do it with a switch.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
Have you tried an A/B comparison? I don't think you'll hear any difference. That merge feature will also work on the Pro-DI, it's just not meant to do that while the higher end models are meant to do it with a switch.
I have done an A/B and didn't notice much (if any) difference, but I figured second opinions never hurt. My ears sometimes have confirmation bias. :-)
Old 03-23-2015, 04:05 AM

Default Radial ProDI vs Stagebug SB-2

Actually it is the Stage Bug that has the slightly wider response (20-20kHz +/- 0.5) as opposed to the ProDI which quotes 20-18.5kHz(+/- 0.2). Either is going to be fine for guitars - anything up around those frequencies or higher is usually out of the hearing range of your average adult anyway and even that is assuming that the system you are listening on also has a fairly flat response to match the Radial units.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM

Well, I had both the ProDI and Stagebug, among others. The stagebug sounds as good as the Prodi, plus its smaller and lighter. That's a win, win for me. I sold the Prodi and kept the Stagebug. i also have a Mooer micro di that sounds good too and has a speaker sim, for those reading this looking for a cheap alternative.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think the ProDI is going up for sale and the Stagebug is the winner.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Just wanted to share my experiences. I've been using the SB-2 for a good 8 months now. It's a nice passive DI for sure, Radial makes good products. However, I know my own sound pretty well, and I could tell there was something a bit different than in the past.

Fast forward. I needed to put a new keyboard through a PA and I didn't want to max out channels, so I decided to use the auto-merge stereo->mono feature of the SB-2. Amazon had ProDIs on sale, so I picked another up for my acoustic rig. I noticed a marked improvement in the ProDI over the SB-2. At home, with my Taylor through my rig, with good cables, into the mic input of an old Fender acoustic amp I noticed an improved bass response with just a quick A/B.

At church, through a decent PA (Horizon snake, Soundcraft board, dbx DriveRack, JBL mains), I noticed increased clarity not only in the bass frequencies but throughout the spectrum. Both are good boxes, but I'm glad I'm back with the ProDI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification